Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Not sure if it was mentioned, but maybe the motivation to tell the press that Yoan is going to play 3rd is the Sox trying to make Lozano think they are going to focus on pursuing Harper instead of Manny?

That's a good point.  Give the $ going to Manny over to Harper -- at least threaten to do that.

I still have these optimistic feeling that we’ll look back after this and realize it was obvious from the Alonso deal we had it in the bag. No one makes that trade unless it’s just about guaranteed to pay off with Machado in some way. 

Now, the issue is Machado (and his agent) don’t want to look like fools if, for example, Harper signs for 50 million more dollars. I’m sure in some way they are aware what Harper is receiving. Machado tells the White Sox if you match any offer, you’ll be the winners. They sit back and have an offer, but are aware other teams such as the Padres may swoop in. However, they have the last say in anything. That’s what I think Jay and Alonso bought them. He’s not going to turn down money to play here; but he’ll give us the respect we showed him by bringing aboard friends/family

• Like 1

That’s a very interesting Rosenthal tweet. Boras does what he does by working the owners, pushing ridiculous numbers in their faces and stroking their ego.

That their is a value split in ownership/front office is a good thing.

”If we are gonna spend a quarter of a billion, why aren’t we spending it on Harper?” Conversations.

But Sox not a part of that. 

12 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Then you are accepting that they’ll never land a FA onpar with Harper or Machado. It will never be more perfect for us than what is happening with limited interest among teams and two premiere players being available to split interest

I am on board with at any costs for either one of those two. If we miss out, then what? Wait for Arenado or Trout? Continue doing what we’re doing and scrape up the 2nd/3rd tier FAs? 

This could be true. There us nothing we can do to convince JR that this team should operate with a 200 million budget. Of they can fit Machado into that budget, so be it.

This is why the total rebuild needed to happen.  Trying to get by with 2/3 their FA will only work if they get the stars from their own system. Guys like kopech, Jimenez and Robert have that potential. 

1 minute ago, Machado2Sox said:

I guess my question would be why were so many people sure the Padres offered $280 when a $240 number was also throw around.  Just like the Sox $175 and $250 numbers.  The truth is it doesn’t seem like any of these reporters have very good inside info.

What info do you have that it isn’t 280? Why criticize people for picking the higher number discussed by Nightengale when you just picked the lower number.

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I still have these optimistic feeling that we’ll look back after this and realize it was obvious from the Alonso deal we had it in the bag. No one makes that trade unless it’s just about guaranteed to pay off with Machado in some way. 

Now, the issue is Machado (and his agent) don’t want to look like fools if, for example, Harper signs for 50 million more dollars. I’m sure in some way they are aware what Harper is receiving. Machado tells the White Sox if you match any offer, you’ll be the winners. They sit back and have an offer, but are aware other teams such as the Padres may swoop in. However, they have the last say in anything. That’s what I think Jay and Alonso bought them. He’s not going to turn down money to play here; but he’ll give us the respect we showed him by bringing aboard friends/family

If the Sox don’t land Machado, Rich Hahn is surely going to look like a clown.  $13 million for Alonso and Jay looks fine if Machado is wearing a Sox fan but it looks like crap if Machado is a Padre.  Imagine having to watch Alonso and Jay play for a Machado-less Sox team?  Puke city.

11 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

I disagree. Their actions including keeping payroll free, tanking, etc have made it an “at any cost” play. There’s no viable plan B. They’ve put themselves in this situation. 

That's fine. It's one approach. Again it's all depends on the deal. They are rebuilding so the team will be pretty cheap for the next 5 years. They just might not be able to add much outside help if they have to pay Machado more than 35 mil per year.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If we get Machado because JR was more invested and more in than other owners, I will find a way to send him a sorry note lol. This would be some amazing bizarro world stuff and I would love every second of it! 

Will you post the note here?

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

What info do you have that it isn’t 280? Why criticize people for picking the higher number discussed by Nightengale when you just picked the lower number.

I don’t have any info but a number that high ($280) for 8 years seems like an agent-generated rumor to up the offers when the other rumored numbers are all much lower at $175, $250, and $240.  I guess we will find out when he signs in two more months, lol.

Edited by Machado2Sox

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's fine. It's one approach. Again it's all depends on the deal. They are rebuilding so the team will be pretty cheap for the next 5 years. They just might not be able to add much outside help if they have to pay Machado more than 35 mil per year.

That's why the whole TWO WHALES THEORY never had any validity...looking at the payrolls exploding in 2022-23-24 (even with Rodon off the roster, and, even then, he could be yet ANOTHER extension candidate, too.)

Rodon

Moncada

Kopech

Cease

Robert

Jimenez

Madrigal

Lopez

Etc.

Edited by caulfield12

Funny that there are some people worried about a $35 million AAV as opposed to $30 million AAV.  That’s one mediocre player off the roster, like Jon Jay for example...  or any one of the countless ~$5 million dollar players the Sox have wasted money on over the years.  Yolmer Sanchez is making $4.625 million this year and I’d rather see him dumping Gatorade on people than playing.  And this guy will be starting at 2B if the Sox miss out on Machado...

Edited by Machado2Sox
  • Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres