Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

In this case "at 'er" is restricted only to signing a contract with the Chicago White Stockings Professional Baseball Club of the American League and not a member of the female persuasion.

And why am I hearing this in the Mater/Larry the Cable Guy voice from Cars?

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

In this case "at 'er" is restricted only to signing a contract with the Chicago White Stockings Professional Baseball Club of the American League and not a member of the female persuasion.

And why am I hearing this in the Mater/Larry the Cable Guy voice from Cars?

The expression doesn’t refer to women. It just basically means let’s get going, hurry up, etc.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

So this guy's going to break the "real story" of the fake news/twitter-verse/random profiles with scant following...BUT NOT TELL US WHO THESE GUYS ARE SIGNING WITH?

Have we reached those depths of depravity, now?

That the story behind the story behind the 98.6% writing about this story who aren't professionally sourced or getting paid to do this for a living, is somehow more significant and symbolizes the times we live in, in terms of sports consumption/sports news....?

BRING BACK A SIMPLER ERA, LIKE "THE NATURAL," WHEN BATS HAD NICKNAMES AND EACH TEAM HAD ONE REPORTER COVERING IT FOR THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER...and one radio announcer.

He came out with his "story" and it's utter horseshit.

The TL:DR of it is that he says the Padres covert meeting with Harper was just to throw people off of the scent that they ACTUALLY wanted Machado all along and to lull the Sox in to a false sense of security with Machado, then secretly offer Machado a $300M deal on the sly. And it ALMOST worked, before he (the MLB Insider twitter troll) BUSTED the story open on Twitter that Padres were in on Machado, and then the White Sox cartoonishly leaped out of their skin in freight and quickly upped their offer to about $305M (area code 305 reference, cute) just in the knick of time to save the day! Machado to the White Sox announced soon!

What a fucking imagination. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The TL:DR of it is that he says the Padres covert meeting with Harper was just to throw people off of the scent that they ACTUALLY wanted Machado all along and to lull the Sox in to a false sense of security with Machado, then secretly offer Machado a $300M deal on the sly. And it ALMOST worked, before he (the MLB Insider twitter troll) BUSTED the story open on Twitter that Padres were in on Machado, and then the White Sox cartoonishly leaped out of their skin in freight and quickly upped their offer to about $305M (area code 305 reference, cute) just in the knick of time to save the day! Machado to the White Sox announced soon!

Especially the JR outbidding by exactly (and conveniently) $5 million when it appears a lot of the Padres' supposed "strength" in terms of their theoretical offer is either the front-loaded/signing bonus, multiple years into the future of deferred monies (essentially borrowing against the money they don't currently have to allocate) or an early/earlier opt-out at 2 or possibly 3 years.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Reminiscent of the write-in vote for Scotty Pods to get elected as the last player to the All-Star team (back when he was married to Lisa D.)

Also hoping Manny doesn't start (emulating Podsednik and) taking those little pitter-patter steps...like he's a ballerina skating across the frozen tundra of a Chicago April deep freeze.

Bumped into her in 2006 in the stadium leaving the training room while she was waiting for him once. I still haven't washed that shoulder. Goddess.

Latest on Padres

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padres-eric-hosmer-manny-machado-bryce-harper-0218-story.html

There has been increased communication between the sides (Padres and Lozano/Machado) in recent days. While there were some in the Padres organization who felt a denouement was imminent, another source characterized the pace of talks as “moving slow.”

That’s how it goes this time of year.

Among Hosmer’s messages on Monday was that the “hot stove” is full of lukewarm reports, speculation and even downright falsehoods.

“One thing I know is you just don’t know what’s happening,” Hosmer said. “A lot of you guys report on what’s close to happening, and you’re not far off. But at the end of the day you really just don’t know. I’ve learned to wait for it to be official and read all the stuff afterward. It’s crazy to … try to predict what is going to happen.”

With that as a warning, here’s what we think we know:

Harper and Machado figure to get contracts worth an average of at least $30 million over at least eight years.

Depending on who is doing the talking, the Padres are more interested in one than the other. And since the team has made offers to both players, it is highly likely one is a fallback. The prevailing signals from within the organization and the belief from the outside is that Machado, who plays the Padres’ position of greatest need, remains the team’s preferred target.

Other teams in the hunt for Machado began hearing several days ago that the Padres were a significant bidder, but the length and structure of the contract offer are not certain.

The value of the team’s offer to Harper is not known, though at least one report pegged it as more than what they have offered Machado, which sources said was a deal potentially worth more than $250 million.

The Padres entered negotiations with the two 26-year-old stars with the idea of being creative with signing bonus money, the ability for the player to opt out after a certain number of years and other payment possibilities that could make the offer both more attractive and financially prudent.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Well it was original I'll give him that. But one big hole in his story was SD's fake interest in Harper. Rosenthal said tonight that all 3 teams are in on him. And an offer was made. Now the Padres FO and the ownership may not agree on who would be the better acquisition.  But it does seem they are in on Harper.

I like how JR comes in and saves the day with a $305 million contract. $5 million over SD - which is the other thing I find hard to believe is that SD could afford a $300 million salary. Oh well.  The Sox win. I do love happy endings. Lol

Edited by smellysox

12 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Figure I'd leave this here for everyone to wake up to tomorrow, plus I wanted to be apart of this madness!

Enjoy

*apologies for Joe Buck......

I watched that a few days ago. I remember almost everything except the Biggio drop. That was very surprising. 

1 hour ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Figure I'd leave this here for everyone to wake up to tomorrow, plus I wanted to be apart of this madness!

Enjoy

That was such an amazing game.  Love the commentary about Lidge not having that bad taste in his mouth from the Pujos HR in the NLCS and Pods immediately hits the game winning HR. 

2 hours ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Enjoy

I was there. Greatest individual game played in Chicago in the city's history. Don't forget, also included Konerko's first-pitch slam. 

• Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres