Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Trout would get much more in an open market but hey maybe he loves LA.

He's also had some injury problems the last couple years and has 2 more seasons remaining until FA, unless he was really wanting to go to Philly that's a solid deal for both sides. 

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

A lot of quotes all over twitter about Moncada playing 3rd, Yolmer at 2nd and Anderson at SS. Some examples:

Negotiating?

This, still, was the probably the plan all along Should Manny not sign. Manny hasn't signed so they have to carry on as if he never will. Doesn't mean he won't or that they have moved on. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Anyone see this? Apparently this guy scooped the Hanley Ramirez to Red Sox deal and the Stanton extension. Imagine if Trout signs before Harper/Machado.

With the FA market the way that is has been the last two years, it is a great opportunity for teams to approach players about locking them up long term.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

This, still, was the probably the plan all along Should Manny not sign. Manny hasn't signed so they have to carry on as if he never will. Doesn't mean he won't or that they have moved on. 

Yeah, if Manny signs (and if so it should be soon), Yoan stays at 2nd and Yolmer becomes the backup infielder.  If he doesn't sign, the plan forward works with Yoan getting work at 3rd.

34 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Right, no excuse for the Padres to outbid the White Sox. Our team remains in the driver’s seat, IMO. 

Really hope they don’t mess this up. When it comes to transactions, the post-rebuild Hahn regime has earned my trust by showing logic at every step. 

But they could lose it fast right here. 

The good news is that the Padres can't be for real, because I read repeatedly on Soxtalk that it was too late for teams to get involved in this process.

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, if Manny signs (and if so it should be soon), Yoan stays at 2nd and Yolmer becomes the backup infielder.  If he doesn't sign, the plan forward works with Yoan getting work at 3rd.

Exactly.  I think moving Moncada to 3B makes a ton of long term sense if the Sox whiff on Machado.  Which obviously would suck.  I'd probably rather give Rondon everyday at bats at 2B than Yolmer at this point though.  We know what Yolmer is....we don't yet know what Rondon can do on an everyday basis, and he is out of options. 

That being said, I'd much prefer Machado at 3B, keep Yoan at 2B, and worry about where to play Madrigal when it becomes a problem.  That would be an excellent problem to have. 

5 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

I guess I live...near this?  I've moved to near Rosemont, but i have never heard of this place...This is a Sox-centric bar of some sort, i take it?

It's a general sports bar.  I usually head up there anytime I'm going to an event at allstate.  I enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  I think moving Moncada to 3B makes a ton of long term sense if the Sox whiff on Machado.  Which obviously would suck.  I'd probably rather give Rondon everyday at bats at 2B than Yolmer at this point though.  We know what Yolmer is....we don't yet know what Rondon can do on an everyday basis, and he is out of options. 

That being said, I'd much prefer Machado at 3B, keep Yoan at 2B, and worry about where to play Madrigal when it becomes a problem.  That would be an excellent problem to have. 

Yolmer's at least a decent enough player to be a guy that could be traded to fill a role on a good team. I think he's somewhat comparable to Eduardo Escobar at this point in his career.

14 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

I guess I live...near this?  I've moved to near Rosemont, but i have never heard of this place...This is a Sox-centric bar of some sort, i take it?

It's on the corner of Higgins and Mannheim I believe, basically the north eastern most part of O'Hare.  Good prices and last time I was there the food portions were generous.  They seem to know their customers lol

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Speaking of Yolmer, I was furious when they sent Micah Johnson down. I totally bought in into him being the 2B of the future .

Him and buying Brent Morel's power surge that one september were two instances of me being totally wrong about two prospects.

I remember thinking Josh Fields was going to be great after that season he had in 07.

1 minute ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

It's on the corner of Higgins and Mannheim I believe, basically the north eastern most part of O'Hare.  Good prices and last time I was there the food portions were generous.  They seem to know their customers lol

I've walked there after shows at Allstate to get a Lyft/Uber.  It's better figuring out the cluster of the shared ride pickup at Allstate and you can have a few drinks while waiting.

If he can shake Apollo I think Jake Burger is going to be a monster for us at the plate.  I've already started calling home runs Jakeburgers in preparation.  Most of our prospects make this FA somewhat bearable and at least offers a suggestion that the Sox may be just fine if they don't land either of these guys.  I only worry if they don't sign one of them that the narrative of the Sox not being enticing enough of a franchise to play for is justified. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres