Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

30M AAV and an opt out after 5 years and they can’t beat that?!?!?

I’m generally one to realize business is business, and I’m not a “rick/Kenny/jerry sucks” guy ..... but this flat out blows.  Hard to support our FO after this 

• Love 1

I remember when all of the insiders told me how I was wrong about this entire thing. I remember when they kept saying it was stupid to negotiate against yourself, etc.

Turns out, this is why you get deals done when you have momentum.

I didnt need to be an insider to understand contract negotiation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I honestly feel like the AL Central is just not an attractive destination for the modern baseball player. MLB really needs to look at going to no divisions and a balanced schedule, and make Baseball a more national product. Machado will also be buried with Trout out west. 

Anyway, moving on. The rebuild continues. You can be mad all you want, but they have a lot of steps to make with   or without a whale.

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Reinsdorf is not going to shell out even MORE money for Bryce. They wouldn’t fucking match 30 million. ABSURD.

Who knows if matching would have gotten it done.  SDG could have still upped its offer too, in theory.  

I'd love to hear the details of whatever our latest offer was.  

10 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Sox had the best chance in the history of this franchise to add an elite, HOF-type talent in the prime of his career when not many teams in the race and their hands were not tied financially. And they blew it. F this loser organization to the core. 

So much this 

can’t beat 30M AAV and opt out after5?!?!?  WTF ....

Just now, lasttriptotulsa said:

Wasn't Bucket saying Harper all along? Maybe he was right. Probably the best insider the board has had.

No, he was saying have faith we would get Machado. They all were. Literally every  "insider" said not to panic, these guys are professionals, Machado is their target, and they will get the job done. 

So, either these guys aren't insiders, the front office isn't professional, or both.

Sox weren't willing to go 10 years. No way they are going to be dealing with Boras trying to break Stanton's record contract. Sorry the say this, but the only way out of this mess is for Reinsdorf to keel over and to get new ownership. It's sad that are highest contract ever dished out is Abreu 6 year/$68 million. How MLB considers the Sox a big market team is a joke. 

6 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Sox had the best chance in the history of this franchise to add an elite, HOF-type talent in the prime of his career when not many teams in the race and their hands were not tied financially. And they blew it. F this loser organization to the core. 

Well said.  The stars aligned for this to be our one chance get that type of free agent.  The typical big money teams (Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers) weren't in on it, and we still couldn't get it done.  I'm disgusted and embarrassed to be a Sox fan.

• Love 1

It may be pointless to say this now but I felt like the Alonso and Jay signings are an indication that this FO with KW and Hahn still operate under the old way of doing things.  Why would anyone care if their brother in law or friend plays with them or not when they are going to make millions of dollars anyways.  It's like not wanting to draft a guy because his girlfriend isn't good looking which means the player lacks confidence....  it's asinine.  I held back on sharing this sentiment with people I know but the move reeked of bush-league thought processes.  Maybe it's time JR sells and finishes the rest of his days content that he at least got 1. 

To hedge the above if the report is false the reporter should be castrated and the same consequence should fall on all these fake twitter loosers... err users...

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres