Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Sox are a joke.  10 years of losing and more coming.  No hope in sight.  If you won’t spend on one on two 26 year old potential Hall of Famers when they hit free agency, you will never get a top free agent target.  Sox are playing the field with the Marlins and Rays.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Unreal. Welp, it's been nice guys -- but I can no longer root for this team (I am assuming they WON'T get Harper based on these comments/remarks by Kenny Williams). 

I am in complete shock. It's not like the Padres offered some astronomical deal -- KW and co. just wouldn't go past certain constructs like the $300 mill and the 10 years. They weren't serious suitors from the beginning and they tried to pry their way into it by trading for Jay and Alonso. Without Machado/Harper this team in 2019 is disgusting. Further, the Padres now have taken Tatis and Machado away from this organization. It's downright hilarious and torturous to be a White Sox fan. 

I am shocked, but at least this will make my fantasy baseball game better as I won't need to bias myself with any sort of fandom to the White Sox. 

Eh you never were a real Sox fan if the signing of a player changes that. You're a spoiled young fan. Fans like my old man and his brothers suffered for decades growing up. 

This is a joke for Jerry and Kenny but I still support the team obviously. Anyone jumping ship is embarrassing themselves equally as much. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Whatever the story was, we've seen the end results. They're surprised, thought they had a sneaky way to talk him into a discount, and they're repeating how $300 million was a price they just couldn't go to. So even if Lozano didn't call them, it didn't matter. They're just not a professionally run business or organization, and that's the entire story.

Bingo.  They fuckin messed around with this negotiation and flat out lost by trying to get creative or whatever the fuck they want to call it.  Fact is it's another fuckin loss for this organization that gets more pathetic by the day.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I took it to mean that with incentives and various swell-opts, Manny could have made more than $300 here. But that makes no fucking sense if we supposedly weren't willing to give $300.  This is such an embarrassment. 

He may have meant media exposure and endorsements, but that’s not the way it reads. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Sir said:

Now that Manny's gone, we can sign Gio, Jose Bautista, Adam Jones, and Marwin Gonzalez, so we can focus on putting together a winning roster, like Kenny says. Winning roster, as in "winning 73 games".

Someone convince me in the next eight days to cancel MLBTV. Please.

Marwin isn't washed up enough.

And don't worry, we'll get Machado eventually.  Just when he's washed up.  He'll join the Sox greats of Canseco, Griffey, Rollins, etc.  

3 minutes ago, Baker said:

But.... the taxes!!!   

A little glad I don’t have to root for the Ndamakung Suh of baseball. 

I tell you what, even if the White Sox made a $290 million offer, and he would have perhaps made more money than SD's $300 million offer, 300 is a magic number. He would have taken if if the Sox offered $299 million. Ego and prestige is part of this.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, The Sir said:

Now that Manny's gone, we can sign Gio, Jose Bautista, Adam Jones, and Marwin Gonzalez, so we can focus on putting together a winning roster, like Kenny says. Winning roster, as in "winning 73 games".

Dude f***ing cancel it right now. Absolutely. Go do it now. Don't wait, do it right now. 

There will be a surge of cancellations in the Chicago Area today that will actually show up in their statistics. Join in that. They will actually be able to see themselves losing money today.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, Blackout Friday said:

I might need a break. I’ll still be a Sox fan because I’m a fucking idiot, but this is too much. The only thing this franchise seems capable of is disappointing the few fans stupid enough to stick by them. 

Yeah, same here. I cancelled MLB tv for the first time(have been a subscriber for more than 10 years). I just feel done with the Sox. And even though I love baseball, if I'm done with baseball for a while too.

Which probably means that I'll watch the first spring game anyway because I am am idiot.

7 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

And Soxbadger is usually positive

Next thing you know Ss2k5 will be joining us in bashing the Sox!

I said at the beginning of winter they would figure out a way to come in second in free agency.  That's what we do.  I really isn't a surprise to me.  While the dreaming was nice, I never had my hopes up for this.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Can't spend $1 if all you have is $0.50. 

It's pretty evident by KW's comments and the projected contracts at the beginning of this process, the Sox were bargain hunting. They cannot afford $30 million a year for a player. Straight from his mouth. So you can forget the top tier guys from now on. 

But they overpay for shitty ones... So sox.... Jerry needs to go

Seems to be a case where Reinsdorf set a cap on the contract size around 250M or whatever, and tried to make up for any discrepancies by signing his best friends. Unsurprisingly, money wins out every time.

No matter how you look at it, its a massive fail, and to make matters worse, KW is talking down to fans like the Sox "gave it the old college try" and simply lost out. Might have pushed my fandom past a breaking point unfortunately.

Edited by Palehosefan

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Dude f***ing cancel it right now. Absolutely. Go do it now. Don't wait, do it right now. 

There will be a surge of cancellations in the Chicago Area today that will actually show up in their statistics. Join in that. They will actually be able to see themselves losing money today.

I'm in Texas but I do the single team package. Does that revenue go to the Sox? That's gonna motivate me to cancel.

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

MLB reddit streams + google search = profit for.... you

I do not condone such actions however

5 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

So Williams is saying Manny took less to play IN SD?

I take that to mean that the Sox got cute with incentives and swellopts and "if everything breaks the right way you CAN make this much" and Manny went with the Padres "we're going to give you this much money" approach.

• Like 1

Just now, Machado2Sox said:

Hahn did a great job.  He wasted $13 million on two garbage players to recruit Machado and helped a division rival free up $9 million as well.  Stellar work to add to what he did with Tatis Jr.

to be fair Jay and Alonso are at least legitimate major league talents... maybe not tops but they are objectively better than what we had there before.  At least imo

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

I take that to mean that the Sox got cute with incentives and swellopts and "if everything breaks the right way you CAN make this much" and Manny went with the Padres "we're going to give you this much money" approach.

And it didn't matter about take home play, clearly manny wanted to say he was a 300 mill player. 

Getting him 300 million in a way that smooths operating issues on your team is being creative, not holding his friends and family hostage.

• Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres