Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

I'm in Texas but I do the single team package. Does that revenue go to the Sox? That's gonna motivate me to cancel.

I don't think so, I think it goes to the general MLB fund and then gets spread around. But, there will be a surge of cancellations nationwide from Sox fans today. There will be more in Chicago than anywhere else, but it'll be nationwide. They will be able to see the numbers - that several thousand people were going to pay them money and as soon as this news came across those people canceled. Their marketing department will get these statistics. Next week they'll have numbers on cancellations of their streaming packages and canceled season tickets sitting on their desks, congratulating  them for being clowns. Do it right now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

to be fair Jay and Alonso are at least legitimate major league talents... maybe not tops but they are objectively better than what we had there before.  At least imo

To be fair to those guys they should give them their release right now. Let them go find work elsewhere. Eat the money and take the L. If you actually care about them as a human you wouldn't subject them to the vitriol that is going to come their way from ignorant fans. 

Also, if the Sox weren't going over $300M I was wrong about them actually being serious. They were never serious at all. We're all fools for thinking they were. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 4

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I said at the beginning of winter they would figure out a way to come in second in free agency.  That's what we do.  I really isn't a surprise to me.  While the dreaming was nice, I never had my hopes up for this.

I do remember you saying that. 

There’s never a good time to lose out on a FA that the entire fanbase was following for months, but Jesus — right before Spring Training? 

Atleast he has basically eliminated us from Harper too. No use trying to hold onto that slim chance

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

to be fair Jay and Alonso are at least legitimate major league talents... maybe not tops but they are objectively better than what we had there before.  At least imo

Who cares, we could have put players in those positions that could provide same value longer term. Yonder alonso hit .738 as a first baseman last year. Same as matt davidson. He's not good.

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I take that to mean that the Sox got cute with incentives and swellopts and "if everything breaks the right way you CAN make this much" and Manny went with the Padres "we're going to give you this much money" approach.

I take it to mean the Sox weren't offering 10 years, and he could have possibly made more if he still was a star 7 or 8 years from now. KW said they couldn't pay $30 million to a player and build a winning roster, so there is no way they were actually going to pay him more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think so, I think it goes to the general MLB fund and then gets spread around. But, there will be a surge of cancellations nationwide from Sox fans today. There will be more in Chicago than anywhere else, but it'll be nationwide. They will be able to see the numbers - that several thousand people were going to pay them money and as soon as this news came across those people canceled. Their marketing department will get these statistics. Next week they'll have numbers on cancellations of their streaming packages and canceled season tickets sitting on their desks, congratulating  them for being clowns. Do it right now.

Cancelled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

To be fair to those guys they should give them their release right now. Let them go find work elsewhere. Eat the money and take the L. If you actually care about them as a human you wouldn't subject them to the vitriol that is going to come their way from ignorant fans. 

Jon Jay woulda been unsigned and probably looking at a minor league contract with an invite to ST somewhere, so don't feel bad for him. I'll dress up like Rick Hahn and let the 5000 people left in the stands boo me and throw stuff at me for $4 million.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Honest to God, 5 minutes before this news came out, I got an email from the White Sox telling me my 20 game plan now entitiled me to free MLB.TV.

My desire to go to as many ST games as possible this March has now been reduced to "ehh maybe I will go to one."

My desire to go to season games has been reduced from at least 1 a month to probably zero. The Eloy debut will be fun, I guess, but I go to go to the Kopech debut so I'm good I guess. 

This will hit the bottom line, no doubt about it. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I take that to mean that the Sox got cute with incentives and swellopts and "if everything breaks the right way you CAN make this much" and Manny went with the Padres "we're going to give you this much money" approach.

Yep probably a lot of incentive clauses about All Star games and MVP awards and maybe even one of those Frank Thomas specials about diminishing skills. ALways stuff to lower the amount when money talks and bullshit walks.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres