Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't understand why sox are acting so shocked. Had they actually offered the HIGHER DEAL and he signed elsewhere then okay, but ...you didn't offer enough? 

Because they probably thought Lozano was bluffing when he came and said the Padres were coming in hot.

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Can't spend $1 if all you have is $0.50. 

It's pretty evident by KW's comments and the projected contracts at the beginning of this process, the Sox were bargain hunting. They cannot afford $30 million a year for a player. Straight from his mouth. So you can forget the top tier guys from now on. 

Who set the budget that won't allow them to afford this contract? Personally, I don't fault Hahn or the fall guy KW. It's the person who won't approve the expenditure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably because it all comes down to Reinsdorf . Anger at his underlings, though deserved, is misdirected anger .

Perhaps. But if this was their plan, they had to know $300 million was the price, and even more for Harper. That was well known since the beginning. They had no idea all the teams would drop out, if as WSD, suggests, this was their plan, years in the making. It was sheer luck it appeared it may not go there with Machado.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably because it all comes down to Reinsdorf . Anger at his underlings, though deserved, is misdirected anger .

Rick Hahn said he wants Sox fans to dream, and to trust the team again. He and Kenny sold us a beach house in Iowa. The trust is fading fast and they better have something good up their sleeves. The fact that they were talking to Harpchado shows they need a star. We know it, and they know it. 

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I guess this is why the  high attendance Bulls are always signing top free agents. The reality is, our owner sucks, the GMs on both teams suck, and they fans need to tell both teams to fuck off. 

Bulls have offered max deals to every major free agent for decades. This is an absurdly stupid take.

They dont get them for other reasons, not because the money isn'tthetre.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

The problem for me is that anyone with a brain knew 300 million was the bench mark. Our organization seems shocked that 10 and 300 million got it done. 

Add to that they targeted this offseason to get these guys and got outbid by the Padres. 

I didn’t care about this at the beginning but it was clear that they were telling us they were serious and I bought in. And now...

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The teams that win championships sign top end talent to supplement their rebuilt core. We aren't contending for years to come with just the guys in the minors. 

We don't have a rebuilt core. When we do it's the time to acquire talent not before.

What concerns me more about this entire fiasco isn't that we didn't get Machado it's that we wanted him in the first place considering where we are in the process and the set backs of Moncada and Kopech.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The problem for me is that anyone with a brain knew 300 million was the bench mark. Our organization seems shocked that 10 and 300 million got it done. 

No kidding. I think JR is cheap and there are no excuses. Don't lie to your fanbase like this. Had they said they were out, it wouldn't hurt as badly. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres