Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The the Sox spin is their offer was better, they loaded up with his friends, and he still went to the freaking SD Padres. So they admit they are at rock bottom as a franchise.

Reinsdorf has effectively turned the Sox into the MLB version of the Bulls.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If they can't afford $30 million a year, why were they bidding on these guys?

Remember the old KW phrase: can’t spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents? 

How about, you cant spend a dollar..... when you only have 10 dollars. Thats what this whole mess is like now

It was easier to expect this when we were crying poor because of a payroll almost completely taken up with salary obligations.  

Edited by Flash Tizzle

People are pissed because they traded for this guy's best friend and BIL, claimed they have no financial restrictions then he signs and your fucking VP comes out and says "we just couldn't go to 300 mil." Until they sign someone like this no one is going to believe a damn thing they ever say. "Our culture is changing." Prove it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Perhaps. But if this was their plan, they had to know $300 million was the price, and even more for Harper. That was well known since the beginning. They had no idea all the teams would drop out, if as WSD, suggests, this was their plan, years in the making. It was sheer luck it appeared it may not go there with Machado.

It seems pretty obvious this was the plan all along. And I 'm sure they had the market for Manny pretty well figured out. What they didn't expect most likely was the Padres jumping in which I called back on page 236. They wern't going to budge from what they thought was fair and unable to go beyond fair because that's the price you must pay in the ideal situation for an elite offensive and defensive talent in his prime. In my mind it's all on Reinsdorf to approve the money and he didn't.

2 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

I'm a die-hard Sox fan and am extremely disappointed.  However, if you don't support your team when it hits rock bottom, then you weren't a fan in the first place.    Don't get me wrong this stings, but you're not a die-hard if you're going to switch to another team that quickly.  

Its incredibly hard to continue to support a team when there is no indication they give a shit

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rick and KW were negotiating with Lozano yesterday during practice

The fact is Lozano came back to the Sox with the Padres offer and Rick and KW would not match.  If they try to say this didn’t happen, they are lying.

Edited by Machado2Sox

5 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

Thanks for mentioning MLBTV. I can't get MLB Extra Innings because my cable company either is too cheap to provide it or Reinsdorf is asking too much. I thought my MLBTV had already automatically re-upped. I will now check to see if I can still cancel. I will say it again... Reinsdorf: Sign Harper now regardless of the cost or you will not get one penny of Sox support from me. Yes, I am a fan and always will be, but as long as that FO continues to lie to us and go CHEAP, they get nothing from me. There are plenty of other ways to spend my money. I will not give any to this CHEAP owner if he does not sign Harper.

Agreed. I will not find another team to support. I am a White Sox fan for life. It is as central to who I am as my own name.

But I don’t need to feed it any money when that honest investment does nothing but line Reinsdorf’s pockets. I invest for my entertainment, not for his personal wealth-building.

Now I know to only trust the major news breakers and not random sources. I don’t know what people heard that was so good when they tweeted, but in the end it didn’t net Machado. 

If they couldn’t afford $300 million, they shouldn’t have signed Jay and traded for Alonso. Maybe Alonso will take over for Abreu at some point and Jay gets dealt at the deadline. It’s going to be really awkward this season.

I’m disappointed but you have to hope they will fill third base without the solution being Moncada or Sanchez. They need to hit on the talent they have in the minors and draft well enough for this thing to work. Otherwise this thing isn’t worth it and they need to prepare to lose attendance even more and fire Hahn and Williams, or sell the team. I won’t be going to as many games this year without seeing any more acquisitions that are gamechanging, or in the coming years. I’ll see Jimenez once, but then I can’t commit to going to many more games this year. What a disappointing day to be a White Sox fan if they couldn’t go to $300+ million.

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

We don't have a rebuilt core. When we do it's the time to acquire talent not before.

What concerns me more about this entire fiasco isn't that we didn't get Machado it's that we wanted him in the first place considering where we are in the process and the set backs of Moncada and Kopech.

This sounds like Hahn speak. Manny would have been here for 10 years, so when that core showed up we would have him. When the time is right to sign guys as you say, the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Angel's, Mets, Tigers, Astros, Giants, and Mariners will just outbid us then. This was the time to strike, when you only had to compete with the Padres. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Remember the old KW phrase: can’t spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents? 

How about, you cant spend a dollar..... when you only have 10 dollars. Thats what this whole mess is like now

It was easier to expect this when we were crying poor because of a payroll almost completely taken up with salary obligations.  

JR actually had this down until the Adam Dunn signing. He had fans and media believing the White Sox broke even every year. Then they asked him where they got the money for Dunn, and bringing Paulie and AJ back. You save a little here, save a little there was his answer. 

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Funny how the other teams in the NBA make it work. We seem to always finish second for these guys, and money is a part of it. We trade valuable draft picks for cash, we traded Kyle Korver for NBA cash that we didnt actually spend. They offer Max's for Lebron types but when it comes down to it, they wont fork up the cash. 

They gave a max deal to Carlos boozer. Give me a break. Bulls have offered the MAX they can offer multiple times. Stoudamire. Melo. Lebron. Wade. Etc etc. 

Money isnt the problem in the NBA. There are max contracts.

Just now, The Beast said:

Now I know to only trust the major news breakers and not random sources. I don’t know what people heard that was so good when they tweeted, but in the end it didn’t net Machado. 

If they couldn’t afford $300 million, they shouldn’t have signed Jay and traded for Alonso. Maybe Alonso will take over for Abreu at some point and Jay gets dealt at the deadline. It’s going to be really awkward this season.

I’m disappointed but you have to hope they will fill third base without the solution being Moncada or Sanchez. They need to hit on the talent they have in the minors and draft well enough for this thing to work. Otherwise this thing isn’t worth it and they need to prepare to lose attendance even more and fire Hahn and Williams, or sell the team. I won’t be going to as many games this year without seeing any more acquisitions that are gamechanging, or in the coming years. I’ll see Jimenez once, but then I can’t commit to going to many more games this year. What a disappointing day to be a White Sox fan if they couldn’t go to $300+ million.

It's 100% obvious now that Yoan Moncada will be the starting 3b on opening day, Sanchez will be the starting 2b, and they'll consider the route clear for Madrigal. Regardless of what they're saying now about how confident they were that they would get Machado to take their discount offer, their actions told the story of their plan for the season. 

I remember when I wondered why Hahn would work with such an obviously flawed FO when he was a rising star.  Now I realize this FO is probably the only one that would employ him.  Hahn has been over-promoted.  Great contract guy, absolutely bottom 1/3 tier GM and probably bottom three OVERALL.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They gave a max deal to Carlos boozer. Give me a break. Bulls have offered the MAX they can offer multiple times. Stoudamire. Melo. Lebron. Wade. Etc etc. 

Money isnt the problem in the NBA. There are max contracts.

And then they sold a 2nd round pick to the Warriors to "Build equity with ownership".

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Grow up. It's a game and a team you root for. It sucks but life will go on. 

Guy wants to say hes not a fan because they didnt spend 300 million dollars. Please. What a joke. 

White Sox fans - the most demanding fanbase in the world that doesn't show up to games or watch them on tV. It goes both ways pal.

You aren't a fan if your fanhood relies on one player that has never even played for the organization. Trading sale day was 1000 times harder for me as a fan than this. Manny was never a white Sox. Shit happens.

Its oh well because I like the young guys and if manny didnt wanna join that then so he if. Let's go burger.

What today represents is SO much bigger than missing out on Machado.   Buy a fucking clue man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres