Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The the Sox spin is their offer was better, they loaded up with his friends, and he still went to the freaking SD Padres. So they admit they are at rock bottom as a franchise.

If you're Machado, you and your agent know the White Sox are a poorly run franchise.  If equal (or close) money were on the table, do you (A) buy extra sun screen and move to San Diego, or (B) stock up on long underwear and play for the Mickey Mouse club? 

They've been at rock bottom.  They've now extended their long-term lease.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I remember when I wondered why Hahn would work with such an obviously flawed FO when he was a rising star.  Now I realize this FO is probably the only one that would employ him.

That's the thing.  How much of it is Hahn?  How much of it is WIlliams? And how much is Reinsdorf?   I believe Hahn knows what he's doing, but his hands are tied in certain aspects.   However, I don't have an inside source and can be completely wrong.   

25 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I'm glad this happened we can finally move on and do a rebuild the proper way. Machado was never going to be enough and just going to lead to more shortsighted moves.

Hopefully, Harper is a no too.

A rebuild the proper way might actually work if any of our draft choices became good. Just add that to the list of failures.

• Like 2

I just read some of the recent posts. Sure enough, there are people calling those of us that are pissed off "not a true fan". Give me a break. We were lied to. That is the bottom line. All these months we hear that "the status quo has changed for the Sox" as far as spending. Then they come in only to bargain basement hunt and San Diego comes in and WINS the bid at $300 million? I have been a fan since the 50's. We have mostly sucked the last 60 some years with a few high points like 2005 and 1959 and 1983. Second does not cut it. If you are one of those that like all the losing and accept the lies we have just seen come from Reinsdorf's front office, then you go ahead and be happy. But don't call me "not a true fan" for being completely turned off by the events of today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

everybody wants to spend jerrys money

No, everyone’s been paying to watch the team lose on purpose under the specific understanding that it was part of a process where they’d invest when they needed to invest when the right opportunities arrived. 

They just proved they aren’t really going to do that. They may say they’ll “keep trying next time,” but there will never again be a free agent this risk-free, with a more perfect fit on the roster, in a historically depressed market, where the only team you have outbid is the FUCKING PADRES. The small market Padres. 

The Sox have $15 million dollars committed to contracts NEXT season. The Padres just beat the White Sox with a bid that doesn’t even make Machado the highest paid total contract OR average AV. When Harper signs, he won’t even be the highest contract in his own damn class.

This, unfortunately, isn’t just about Machado. This is the best evidence we’ve ever seen that this regime will never sign a top free agent.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Saw this recently and to me it's a terrific summary of the entire situation since numbers and quotes are now out and it seems the Sox never were really in the mix:

* Sox have never shelled out more than 68 million on a player, one of only four MLB teams to have never given out a nine figure deal.

* Sox FO told fans for months, "the money will be there." Things are different now...

* Most Sox fans believed the hype and felt times were changing

* Sox fail to land Machado because of a low-ball offer.

* Sox FO makes excuses (i.e. Kenny Williams)

The end result? Most Sox fans will NEVER trust or believe anything this front office ever says again.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't want to hear about next year.  There are 0 26 year old superstars entering free agency for YEARS.  They all need to be fired, whoever had a hand in this.  10/300 was the starting bid, what the fuck were they expecting

The next one what would be, what, Vlad Jr?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres