Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

That's the thing.  How much of it is Hahn?  How much of it is WIlliams? And how much is Reinsdorf?   I believe Hahn knows what he's doing, but his hands are tied in certain aspects.   However, I don't have an inside source and can be completely wrong.   

Rick Hahn's job is the General Manager. Regardless of everything else, his job is to make decisions that help put together a winning baseball team. If ownership was hesitant to spend $310 million on a player and he's staring at this organization where that player would be a perfect fit and where they've cleared out all their long term payroll commitments...it is his job to convince ownership to support that, and if he has trouble with that - then don't waste the $40 million we wasted this offseason and use that money as the final piece. There are 2 mistakes - Rick Hahn is an awful general manager, ownership's mistake is employing him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

Luis Basabe just broke a his right hamate bone and is out 4-6 weeks.  News gets better and better.

Because our front office isn’t good at talent development, our core of prospects is atrophying to injury and poor development.

Joy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I honestly believe it's because they didn't think they would need to, and if Lozano contacted them with the San Diego offer, they thought he was bluffing.

There is no way in hell Lozano didn’t come back to the Sox with the Padres’ offer.  Zero chance...  Sox said they wouldn’t match at some point and if they say they didn’t, they are lying.

Edited by Machado2Sox
  • Like 1

I honestly believe it's because they didn't think they would need to, and if Lozano contacted them with the San Diego offer, they thought he was bluffing.

Yep, pure failure or execution.  Don’t worry, I’m sure they will get contract extensions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

A bird in the hand...yada yada yada.

I don't blame Manny for taking more guaranteed money.

Manny kept telling the media and teams all it would take is 300 mil to get him. The Sox tried to call his bluff and they look like morons. Reinsdorf is so fucking scared of "setting the market." 

Edited by Sockin
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

A rebuild the proper way might actually work if any of our draft choices became good. Just add that to the list of failures.

Agreed. I'm just not as upset as others because I look at the roster and see 90-95 losses. Machado won't make or break this roster.

It's more of a missed opportunity for Hahn and KW to build some equity with the fanbase but after Moncada, Gio, Kopech and some of the other more recent setbacks in the minors including Hansen I think we should still be looking to stripping this roster further for longterm assets. In two years when all the kids are up that is the times to asses needs and start signing guys.

This has always been my perspective. My worry with Machado is as soon as you bring him in you can talk about continuing to be patient but we all know what will happen. I just don't see a path with what we currently have that would have led to anything sustainable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MyNamesRod said:

The Sox were willing to go that high if machado earned it the first few years. They wanted to limit risk on their end and manny wanted the guaranteed $$$. Sucks but is what it is 

Correct. They were so worried about the extra $50 million hamstringing them in 2027-2028 that they were willing to lose out on the player now. They needed their protections in case he got hurt.

• Love 1

If the Sox couldn’t sign a future hall of famer in his absolute prime years when the market is probably as depressed as it will ever be with none of the big boys involved, they will never NEVER be players for real free agents nor will this organization ever be consistently competitive. They might get lucky like they did in 2005, but never perennial contenders. 

Manny is a top 3 player in the game, and they couldn’t even offer him a deal that most consider to be reasonable. Not even an overpay. Sad day for the fans. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

If Lozano contacted them saying this is final chance to match the offer and they thought he was bluffing every single damn one of them in the front office needs to be shitcanned 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Nice of the Sox to leak to Rosenthal so we can feel better about their strong offer. 

I don't understand how the Sox save face if this is true because if it is, he took less money, ran away from his friends, to play for the Padres. It's not like he went to the Yankees or Red Sox or Cubs or Dodgers. The Padres. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres