Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Rick Hahn's job is the General Manager. Regardless of everything else, his job is to make decisions that help put together a winning baseball team. If ownership was hesitant to spend $310 million on a player and he's staring at this organization where that player would be a perfect fit and where they've cleared out all their long term payroll commitments...it is his job to convince ownership to support that, and if he has trouble with that - then don't waste the $40 million we wasted this offseason and use that money as the final piece. There are 2 mistakes - Rick Hahn is an awful general manager, ownership's mistake is employing him. 

Totally agree with this. Perhaps in a different org hahn would be a much better GM, but one of his failures is being unable to convince JR to operate in a different mode. If we legitimately will never spend above $130 million, the organization needs to operate completely differently than it does.

For one...

you cannot lack an international free agency pipeline.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I don't understand how the Sox save face if this is true because if it is, he took less money, ran away from his friends, to play for the Padres. It's not like he went to the Yankees or Red Sox or Cubs or Dodgers. The Padres. 

He did not take less money, he took a FAR higher guarantee that the White Sox weren't willing to come close to matching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I honestly believe it's because they didn't think they would need to, and if Lozano contacted them with the San Diego offer, they thought he was bluffing.

I don't think that Lozano contacted the Sox. I don't think that is how these things actually work. Each team is somewhat blind in the process and the only people who knew what the offers actually are were, were Machado and Lozano. Why would you give out numbers? He could say: We have a higher offer, can you beat it?, But they aren't going to actually give out numbers between the teams. 

Just now, Orlando said:

I am just going to say it: I am proud of the White Sox offer. Machado took the guaranteed route , good for him. 

Proud of the offer? Cmon man, they didn’t land the guy because the Sox wouldn’t pony up the guaranteed money but blew 13 mil in Jay and Alonso instead and still missed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Special K said:

If the Sox couldn’t sign a future hall of famer in his absolute prime years when the market is probably as depressed as it will ever be with none of the big boys involved, they will never NEVER be players for real free agents nor will this organization ever be consistently competitive. They might get lucky like they did in 2005, but never perennial contenders. 

Manny is a top 3 player in the game, and they couldn’t even offer him a deal that most consider to be reasonable. Not even an overpay. Sad day for the fans. 

This current regime just seems to be incompetent, from Jerry to KW/Hahn to the coaching staff and scouting dept.  Not one person can be pointed to and say “they’re doing a good job”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

A rebuild the proper way might actually work if any of our draft choices became good. Just add that to the list of failures.

They’ve positioned themselves to where they HAVE to hit with this upcoming draft pick. Like, 6+ WAR type of talent. How else exactly are they going to assemble a championship team? They sure as hell wont spend money on it.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Totally agree with this. Perhaps in a different org hahn would be a much better GM, but one of his failures is being unable to convince JR to operate in a different mode. If we legitimately will never spend above $130 million, the organization needs to operate completely differently than it does.

For one...

you cannot lack an international free agency pipeline.

Hell, with the amount of long term money they've cleared out, Machado would have been perfect with a $300 million/5 year opt out deal. They coulda stayed below $130 million if that was their limit and still had a good shot at the playoffs in 2020-2023. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I have 0 doubt in my mind that it wasnt until Machado started slipping away that the Sox became more aggressive. I have little doubt in my mind that in early January the Sox could have gotten a fair deal done and signed Machado. 

Just such a predictable ending.

You don't know this.  Shut up. 

10 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

Not mentioned in the tweet were the details of the incentives, such as $5,000 for each sac bunt, $7,500 for every ground ball Ricky thought he "ran his ass off down the line" and $10,000 for every time he cut off the shortstop on a routine ground ball he felt was his because "this is my infield"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And even if they did, who put them in the position where less money, fewer friends, and farther from home is more desirable than the White Sox?

A $300 million guarantee is definitely not less money than a $250 million guarantee with extra options, and since San Diego threw in the opt-out after 5 years, the option years have a good chance of mattering less. Those deals aren't close, the Padres' deal is far better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres