Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Then put a $325/10 year deal on the table with an opt out after year 5 and act like professionals. That's in no way a terrible deal for this player with his previous performance. Do you really think he wanted to go to the Padres? They're like 29th out of 30 teams in wins over the last 6 seasons. 

Padres had 13 more wins that the White Sox over the last six years.

• S

Just now, Balta1701 said:

A $300 million guarantee is definitely not less money than a $250 million guarantee with extra options, and since San Diego threw in the opt-out after 5 years, the option years have a good chance of mattering less. Those deals aren't close, the Padres' deal is far better. 

You can't say that the deals aren't close without knowing exactly what the bonuses are. Seems to me like Machado didn't want to bet on himself making ASGs, winning awards, etc. 

1 hour ago, shipps said:

Honestly I feel really betrayed by this organization. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they were serious about spending with the big boys. If they ever where going to be in position to do it it would have been now. At a time where they never needing that centerpiece to build around more than right now. It all lined up. But they were only in it because it was a discounted rate being passed around for the past three months otherwise they wouldn’t have even been mentioned. 

I'm pissed today! Reinsdorf, Hahn and Williams don't deserve my respect nor support. Time for them to sell!!

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

You can't say that the deals aren't close without knowing exactly what the bonuses are. Seems to me like Machado didn't want to bet on himself making ASGs, winning awards, etc. 

If it was about winning an MVP, you can't compete with Mike Trout. I don't blame him there. 

13 minutes ago, mqr said:

The next one what would be, what, Vlad Jr?

It's Reinsdorf. Hahn's hands were tied by the cheapest owner in sports. He probably WANTS nobody to come to the park so he has reason to sell the team and enjoy the PROFITS till the novelty runs off and then sell. Until they sign a premier FA that is what I believe and anyone that wants to jump all over me for not being "loyal" go ahead. Yes, I am pissed!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I have 0 doubt in my mind that it wasnt until Machado started slipping away that the Sox became more aggressive. I have little doubt in my mind that in early January the Sox could have gotten a fair deal done and signed Machado. 

Just such a predictable ending.

I think the biggest mistake was letting our offer just hang out there for months. We should have told Dan at some point it was take it or leave it.

The SD waited until Feb to get involved and wrapped up a deal quickly. We should have made our offer and moved on.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Do you blame him? He's been an elite player for 6 years and earned the right to be a FA. For a team to say "oh hey yeah you've been elite but you need to be elite for another 6 years before we pay you what you think you're worth in 2019."

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Who would want to make that bet? The goal is guaranteed money. Sox couldn’t provide it and theyre losers once again

Edited by Flash Tizzle

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

You know what the difference between 250m and 300m is?

Yonder Alonso, Jon Jay, Kelvin Herrera, Alex Colome.

:puke:

The optimist in me says 4 players are better than one... the realist in me says ...

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Even the SoxTalk forum software is pissed!

Just now, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

The optimist in me says 4 players are better than one... the realist in me says ...

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Even the SoxTalk forum software is pissed!

4 players who don't even combine to be as valuable as Machado in a given year

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Except he also has the opt-out in there so if he does make ASGs, win awards, etc., he can hit FA one more time at age 31, so those option years are just reducing his guarantee. If he's on a path to a HOF, that's the same point where Cano signed his $200 million deal, and there will be a new CBA in place by then so money should be flowing back to players even more by that point. So he gets a far higher guarantee, and if he's still one of the top players in the game in 5 years, he can still cash in for way more than those bonuses would be worth. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I am just going to say it: I am proud of the White Sox offer. Machado took the guaranteed route , good for him. Let's go get Harper.

Sox couldn’t and wouldn’t sign Machado for $30 million a year.  Harper will get more.  What dream world are people living in with regard to Harper?!?

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's still a comparable/competitive offer.  It's not hard to read.

Well I am going to give you 110k a year for a job.  Or you can take this job for 75k and if you hit certain performance incentives, it's over 130k a year.   It's the same job.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Here's another thing i don't understand: why can't you give two more years? Who cares about years 9 and 10 right now? If everything works out with the prospects, the window has opened and potentially closed by year 8. I don't get the logic. Clearly, they made a strong offer and felt the AAV was high enough to win out. But what is the hold up on adding years?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres