Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's still a comparable/competitive offer.  It's not hard to read.

Ok, but we’re not congratulating them on the competitiveness of the offer right?

If you want to move on, fine. The hard lesson here is not to trust the White Sox until Reinsdorf dies, sells the team, or does something to prove he’s willing to pay a player more than he thinks is financially acceptable

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just rain the shit on top of us.

If true and SD does land Harper, they are doing EXACTLY what the White Sox should have done.  Good for them.  If they do not win, they will blow it up, like they have done in the past, or hope the players opt out.  Preller is a scumbag, but making some smart moves and making others look bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is nothing but an absolute disaster. the fan base is irate right now. The rebuild has had more speed bumps than anticipated. This is not what people want to hear, but the best thing for this franchise is to tank another year. What’s the point in marching out the team we have currently + Joc Pederson and a SP and ending up with the 8th pick instead of the 2nd

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Nah,

he said this apparently.

Exactly.  I mean look at the bright side...at least we know now that if Kenny is still around, we all know who our 2029 3rd baseman will be!  Fresh off his 10-year sentence in SD at the ripe age of 36!

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Agreed. I'm just not as upset as others because I look at the roster and see 90-95 losses. Machado won't make or break this roster.

It's more of a missed opportunity for Hahn and KW to build some equity with the fanbase but after Moncada, Gio, Kopech and some of the other more recent setbacks in the minors including Hansen I think we should still be looking to stripping this roster further for longterm assets. In two years when all the kids are up that is the times to asses needs and start signing guys.

This has always been my perspective. My worry with Machado is as soon as you bring him in you can talk about continuing to be patient but we all know what will happen. I just don't see a path with what we currently have that would have led to anything sustainable.

Machado was a very important piece. Great offensively and defensively at 3rd base .Same age as a lot of guys we have on the roster we keep giving chances to but actually a vet with a lot of good years behind him. Not an injury prone guy . Plays just about every game every year. He fit everything the Sox could ve wanted in a market that they couldn't have hoped to be better.  I totally understand why this is so crushing to so many.

When all your prospects are getting injured and failing and the fan base is ready to abandon hope Machado represented a brighter future and a chance to renew faith in the organization.

Just now, Machado2Sox said:

Do you really think this is how agents work?  Seriously?

Lozano more than likely asked Hahn if he wanted to match or top the Padres offer.

that may be the case...but that is not what Hahn SAID. key difference. He may be lying, but I don't like posters changing the presser to make us all more upset. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A $300 million guarantee is definitely not less money than a $250 million guarantee with extra options, and since San Diego threw in the opt-out after 5 years, the option years have a good chance of mattering less. Those deals aren't close, the Padres' deal is far better. 

Again, I am just going off what the White Sox are trying to spin now, that their offer was indeed more lucrative. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres