Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, daa84 said:

Absolutely. This is the smart answer, and may be actually correct. Id stomach this much more if we just said “ we don’t think he’s that good.”

The stupid answer is saying “well we tried really hard and I’m proud of us”

Another big difference is the GM who gave that answer is about to sign Harper for like 10/325

1 minute ago, EvilJester99 said:

The more and more I read Sox comments the more and more pissed off I am getting.. I need some beer. 

The emotional range I'm going through is swinging between shock, heartbreak, uncontrolled anger, despair...and back again

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Agreed. I'm just not as upset as others because I look at the roster and see 90-95 losses. Machado won't make or break this roster.

It's more of a missed opportunity for Hahn and KW to build some equity with the fanbase but after Moncada, Gio, Kopech and some of the other more recent setbacks in the minors including Hansen I think we should still be looking to stripping this roster further for longterm assets. In two years when all the kids are up that is the times to asses needs and start signing guys.

This has always been my perspective. My worry with Machado is as soon as you bring him in you can talk about continuing to be patient but we all know what will happen. I just don't see a path with what we currently have that would have led to anything sustainable.

With Manny Machado you're right, this is still an 85-90 loss team in 2019.

HOWEVER...throw Cease, Kopech, and another year of development into that starting rotation, have some growth out of the bullpen, find a 1b, and have Machado surrounded by Eloy and others at the center of that lineup - you've got a team that's a threat in 2020, and they're set up to be monsters in the following years. 

• Love 1

The only reason I think the sox have a chance at bryce is that this deal offered to machado was probably a swellopt structured deal. Boras created the swellopt so he may be willing to entertain a similar deal to what was offered to manny. If they offer a deal that could swell to 350 MM then boras has to consider it. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It is the last time anyone will take their chances of actually signing a premium free agent seriously. KW said they can't afford $30 million a year if they want to build a championship roster.

He didn't say they can't afford 30 mil per year. If you believe their offer it was more than 30 mil per year. What he said was they weren't going to 300 million total.

• Haha 2

Just now, MyNamesRod said:

The only reason I think the sox have a chance at bryce is that this deal offered to machado was probably a swellopt structured deal. Boras created the swellopt so he may be willing to entertain a similar deal to what was offered to manny. If they offer a deal that could swell to 350 MM then boras has to consider it. 

Not if it is 250 million guaranteed. Get to 300, then swell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MyNamesRod said:

The White Sox wouldn't guarantee $300 million. You can offer Harper a contract where if he's Babe Ruth, he will get $1 Billion the next 10 years, but if they don't guarantee more than $300 million, there is no chance.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Nah,

he said this apparently.

That is what he said... "ISN'T". What he MEANT, though, is, "yeah baby, we will lie to you again about going for premium talent and we will come up short again", but in the mean time, please buy tickets and jerseys and hot dogs at the park so Jerry can pocket MORE money for his grand kids.

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres