Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

With Manny Machado you're right, this is still an 85-90 loss team in 2019.

HOWEVER...throw Cease, Kopech, and another year of development into that starting rotation, have some growth out of the bullpen, find a 1b, and have Machado surrounded by Eloy and others at the center of that lineup - you've got a team that's a threat in 2020, and they're set up to be monsters in the following years. 

If that was the plan I would be fine with it but my gut tells me they would have moved a bunch of guys in the minors to try and win now.

In any case Machado is obviously talented but there will be other opportunities in the coming years to add premium talent. Our main focus should be like the Astros lets have a team first then worry about how to add to it.

The Padres offer was player-friendly. The Sox offer was team-friendly. Not rocket science here. It was a competitive offer in that it was likely second-best. As usual.

I am so, so so angry with this team right now. This is the lowest I've ever felt about this organization and its understanding of how to successfully run a rebuilding franchise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xSouthsider2 said:

That is what he said... "ISN'T". What he MEANT, though, is, "yeah baby, we will lie to you again about going for premium talent and we will come up short again", but in the mean time, please buy tickets and jerseys and hot dogs at the park so Jerry can pocket MORE money for his grand kids.

QFT. 

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If the contract could have reached 350 then there was probably a swell opt. That is a good offer. 

Machado has a standard opt-out after 5 years. Yes the White Sox could have swelled the contract, but he has a higher guarantee and he can still opt-out and have his next deal "Swell" the total well beyond $350 million. The Swell is actually a limitation compared to what he could get with a standard opt-out; both the guarantee and the lack of a team "Swell" option are to Machado's benefit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Over 10 years pencils out to $30 million a year. They didn't want to guarantee that. 

But they did approve 8 for 250 which is more than 30 mil per year. You can rip the team apart, deservedly so but at least get the complaint correct.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox wouldn't guarantee $300 million. You can offer Harper a contract where if he's Babe Ruth, he will get $1 Billion the next 10 years, but if they don't guarantee more than $300 million, there is no chance.

Exactly. This is why Kenny and Hahn saying they have the best number is true, but not the best deal.

Example

If someone offered you a job with these two options, which would you all take?

A. 300k a year guaranteed for 10 years.

B. 250k guaranteed for 8 years, but can get up to 325k if you meet bonuses you know are unlikely. 

1 minute ago, xSouthsider2 said:

I won't speak for anyone else, so I will just say "me" here...

Not sure who is being laughed at more nationally? The Sox ownership and front office? Or "me" as a Sox fan believing this ownership and front office that they would spend and sign a premium free agent?

All of the above is the correct answer. 

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

All of these leaks smell like Jerry was too cheap to guarantee 300 but would be willing to go to 350 with incentives....cheap bastard

No doubt. He wanted a contract that would protect the team if Machado sucked or got lazy or injured. Padres offered guaranteed money. The agent and Machado wanted the "prestige" of having the highest guaranteed money. I don't blame them.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

But they did approve 8 for 250 which is more than 30 mil per year. You can rip the team apart, deservedly so but at least get the complaint correct.

Do you think the AAV or years matter when you are talking about $50 extra million guaranteed? 

The Sox failed.  Runner up in the free agency game wins no consolation prize.

Edited by Machado2Sox

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres