Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

Sox could save face with Harper..... Just f it . 10 350 to harper

That's the only way this will work apparently. These "swell-opts" and other complex contracts are bullshit. Players want guaranteed money. Give it to a guy who could give you 9 WAR in his best years and at worst is still an above average player.

6 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

But its not guaranteed money! Why not offer 300 and possibly make it 350 then?

Yeah, match the 10 years at 300, and keep the swellopt of 50 million more, because it still would've been less than their proposed deal.  We get what we want with the lower AAV, Machado gets what he wants with 300 garuntee...how stupid of the FO

I wish more people on this forum were on board with admitting that the Sox always ALWAYS fuck shit like this up, I mean please.  Stop carrying water for these assholes running the show.

You got outbid by the PADRES 

why the fuck didnt they match their offer?

Sox can't afford it?  Fuck outta here

god damn this is embarrassing when looking at it from a macro level

• Like 2

Just to make this clear:

A 5 year opt out is a player option. It's as player friendly as possible. If the player is an all star/MVP candidate on his way to the HOF, he can once again get market rate at age 31, which could be another $250+ million to finish out his career, counting inflation and a new CBA, thus totaling >$400 million.

A Swell-opt is a team option first. The team gets to decide whether to bring the contract up to $350 million at some point, and only if the team passes does the player get an opt out. It's a team friendly option first - if the player is an MVP candidate on his way to the HOF, his earnings over that contract and career cannot pass the swell limit until the contract ends.

So if he gets hurt or struggles, the higher guarantee is better for the player. If he's an MVP candidate on the way to the HOF, the player option is better for the player. 

There really is no sense in which a swell-opt up to $350 is a better option than a $300 guarantee with a 5 year straight opt-out. None whatsoever, they're not close. Both the higher guarantee and the straight opt out are better for the player.

• Thanks 1

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

a7a9ecaaeea23572ec7c94e525c60159.png

Bargaining for me now.

Maybe we can still get Harper...

Ha....cmon man I think there needs to many more steps than 5, I’ve been on the road all damn day and can’t get past anger and depression and to think about Harper now not coming here is crazy lol

Just now, Machado2Sox said:

Do you think the AAV or years matter when you are talking about $50 extra million guaranteed? 

No I don't. I don't blame Machado for taking the SD offer. But at least get that facts straight about the Sox not willing to offer 30 mil. per year. They did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, almagest said:

That's the only way this will work apparently. These "swell-opts" and other complex contracts are bullshit. Players want guaranteed money. Give it to a guy who could give you 9 WAR in his best years and at worst is still an above average player.

And the Sox are in the position to give them guaranteed money yet still want their contracts to be creative and fit what they want. 

1 minute ago, almagest said:

I think the sox could market Harper better than Manny. Only thing is Manny gave you offense and good defense

Just now, Sockin said:

And the Sox are in the position to give them guaranteed money yet still want their contracts to be creative and fit what they want. 

And thats why they won't sign either of these players and I'll be watching the Cardinals/Brewers/Eloy highlights this year.

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

I think the sox could market Harper better than Manny. Only thing is Manny gave you offense and good defense

Yep. Manny was the much better fit. But Bryce is the bigger name brand. Might as well try and save face JR.

Edited by SoxAce

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just to make this clear:

A 5 year opt out is a player option. It's as player friendly as possible. If the player is an all star/MVP candidate on his way to the HOF, he can once again get market rate at age 31, which could be another $250+ million to finish out his career, counting inflation and a new CBA, thus totaling >$400 million.

A Swell-opt is a team option first. The team gets to decide whether to bring the contract up to $350 million at some point, and only if the team passes does the player get an opt out. It's a team friendly option first - if the player is an MVP candidate on his way to the HOF, his earnings over that contract and career cannot pass the swell limit until the contract ends.

So if he gets hurt or struggles, the higher guarantee is better for the player. If he's an MVP candidate on the way to the HOF, the player option is better for the player. 

There really is no sense in which a swell-opt up to $350 is a better option than a $300 guarantee with a 5 year straight opt-out. None whatsoever, they're not close. Both the higher guarantee and the straight opt out are better for the player.

Preach, Balta. Tell everyone how much of a clown Rick, Kenny and Jerry are. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I wish more people on this forum were on board with admitting that the Sox always ALWAYS fuck shit like this up, I mean please.  Stop carrying water for these assholes running the show.

You got outbid by the PADRES 

why the fuck didnt they match their offer?

Sox can't afford it?  Fuck outta here

god damn this is embarrassing when looking at it from a macro level

Preach it, brother.  So true...  the Padres.

53 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This sounds like Hahn speak. Manny would have been here for 10 years, so when that core showed up we would have him. When the time is right to sign guys as you say, the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Angel's, Mets, Tigers, Astros, Giants, and Mariners will just outbid us then. This was the time to strike, when you only had to compete with the Padres. 

and people wonder why ESPN pays no attention to our White Sox

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Makes me wonder if the 8/$250 is accurate. Just read what came out of KW's mouth. 

He specifically said they weren't going to 300. This agrees with all of the reports coming out that they weren't going to guarantee that much money for the total contract. 

The team wanted a more friendly deal, Agent and Machado wanted the highest guaranteed deal. The Sox should have stepped up and gave him the guaranteed deal.

3 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Sox could save face with Harper..... Just f it . 10 350 to harper

I agree. I will take back the negatives I have posted about the FO because of this if they sign Harper. I just cannot help being let down with the Machado fiasco. If the Sox are not lying and did make and effort and came up short, then sign Harper to prove it and pay whatever it takes. We need this. Harper's lefty bat would fit more than Machado in my opinion. Yes, we have OF depth(Basabe's injury does not help), but we could always trade from that depth. Sox, NEED Harper. Do I think the Sox will do it? No. Hope they prove me wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

Machado is only getting 260 after State tax.  

lets wait to castrate before we get all the facts

We have the facts.  They failed.  In spectacular fashion.  Not only did they fail to land the whale they wasted time and money bringing in his buddies.  WTF man.  This is the worst case scenario that DA and myself and many others were worried about.  Not only do they not improve their team, they look like absolute amateur clowns with the "friends and family" bs.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

If rosenthal tweet is true. call up boras and lock it up before you lose a percentage of your fan base and kill your attendance revenue 

Harper isn't going to take that.  They don't want to be dicked around with incentives.  The Sox tried getting cute and they fuckin lost.  The end.

• Like 3

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres