Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Guys, I apologize, I thought the Sox had this in the bag and stupidly had more faith in this front office and ownership to get this done. I thought they turned a corner and I was fooled. I’m sitting here just as pissed and stunned as you are. I’m not gonna delete the account because it’s a good chat to be apart of. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ptatc said:

He specifically said they weren't going to 300. This agrees with all of the reports coming out that they weren't going to guarantee that much money for the total contract. 

The team wanted a more friendly deal, Agent and Machado wanted the highest guaranteed deal. The Sox should have stepped up and gave him the guaranteed deal.

He didn't just get a higher guarantee, he also got a more player-friendly opt out. He got a higher guarantee and a better deal structure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. He wanted a contract that would protect the team if Machado sucked or got lazy or injured. Padres offered guaranteed money. The agent and Machado wanted the "prestige" of having the highest guaranteed money. I don't blame them.

What is an extra 5 mil over 10 years gonna do to your pocket book later down the line even if he regresses??

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

If that was the plan I would be fine with it but my gut tells me they would have moved a bunch of guys in the minors to try and win now.

In any case Machado is obviously talented but there will be other opportunities in the coming years to add premium talent. Our main focus should be like the Astros lets have a team first then worry about how to add to it.

I don’t agree with the team first aporoach. 

You need to add talent where you can, when you can. We were going to sign Machado because we thought we were competing in 2019 or even 2020. It was going to be a move for the years after when this team would hopefully be competitive. 

Also, if we’re going to reference the Astros we need some production from the minors. Like right now. One of my biggest pet peeve’s about the White Sox fan base is everyone is just so complacent when it comes to the minor-league players. “Not everyone succeeds immediatey.” “He may need 3-4 years to contribute at the major league level.” No this is unacceptable. We can not wait 3-4 years for Moncada, Kopech, Cease, Eloy or else there’s no competitive window. Eventually it needs to come together at the SAME TIME. Someone like Eloy needs to contribute immediately. Many young players around the league do it every year, its nor unheard of.

If we cannot do this, then we are fucked. How else will a championship team be assembled?

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No I don't. I don't blame Machado for taking the SD offer. But at least get that facts straight about the Sox not willing to offer 30 mil. per year. They did.

Whoopty doo.  I’ll repeat my previous edit...

Runners up in the free agency game don’t get a consolation prize.

Just now, teorey23 said:

Guys, I apologize, I thought the Sox had this in the bag and stupidly had more faith in this front office and ownership to get this done. I thought they turned a corner and I was fooled. I’m sitting here just as pissed and stunned as you are. I’m not gonna delete the account because it’s a good chat to be apart of. 

TY for owning up to it, I believe you're the only one we've seen do that (although 1 or 2 people who offered up predictions can't do that due to suspensions). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

He specifically said they weren't going to 300. This agrees with all of the reports coming out that they weren't going to guarantee that much money for the total contract. 

The team wanted a more friendly deal, Agent and Machado wanted the highest guaranteed deal. The Sox should have stepped up and gave him the guaranteed deal.

But it's over 10 years. And supposedly it's evenly divided. Pretty good chance 7 years from now, KW, JR, and RH no longer have offices at Guaranteed Rate Field. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We have the facts.  They failed.  In spectacular fashion.  Not only did they fail to land the whale they wasted time and money bringing in his buddies.  WTF man.  This is the worst case scenario that DA and myself and many others were worried about.  Not only do they not improve their team, they look like absolute amateur clowns with the "friends and family" bs.

facts are still being gathered until after Manny has his press conference. lets not jump the gun jussie

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox wouldn't guarantee $300 million. You can offer Harper a contract where if he's Babe Ruth, he will get $1 Billion the next 10 years, but if they don't guarantee more than $300 million, there is no chance.

No doubt. They would need to go well above that to get Harper.

Just now, pcq said:

They cannot force people to sign here. You just give it your best. No point in being negative.

Nope, this is not an adequate excuse anymore.  This was the best chance at a Hall of Famer when it would only cost money, and the Sox payroll is about as low as it has been in years.  Unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, teorey23 said:

Never was buying what you were selling anyways, but it takes a bigger man to admit he was wrong (which from what I've observed here some I won't name don't do). Need more posters like you on this board. Respect my man.  

Edited by SoxAce
  • Love 1

All that matters is what the "incentives" were and what the guaranteed money was.  If it was a 220m offer with incentives he'd never hit/take then its a fake offer. 

Either way, it was incredibly stupid to not just flat out guarantee 300m if thats what he wanted. 

The thing I just can't get my head around is they offered 250/8 thats what 31.25/yr? If you make such an offer with an opt out after year 5 wouldn't that say you you're ultra supreme optimistic that he is gonna be a top 5-10 in the league over the next 5 and almost assuredly opt out? So if you match SD's offer you would be saving 1.25/yr the next 5 years by adding the 2 addition years and 50 million that has maybe a 2-5% chance of actually being paid out?

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

What is an extra 5 mil over 10 years gonna do to your pocket book later down the line even if he regresses??

I agree. That's why I said the Sox should have stepped up and I don't blame Machado for taking the guaranteed deal. The Sox wanted a more team friendly deal, SD offered a player friendly deal. Take the guaranteed money.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. They would need to go well above that to get Harper.

I put the minimum on Harper at 10/330. At the very least he has to beat Stanton. If you're management and you give even a half of a shit, let alone two, about maintaining a fanbase in Chicago, you call up Boras and offer that right now. Otherwise, just start loading the moving vans now and making preparations for a move to Charlotte or Portland in 2025. If they don't get Harper they will have completely alienated their fanbase and Jerry might as well have gone full Bill Wirtz. Believe me, you don't want to go Full Bill Wirtz, JR. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

Whoopty doo.  I’ll repeat my previous edit...

Runners up in the free agency game don’t get a consolation prize.

Prom Kings get to fuck the Prom Queen. We’re the acne covered mathlete that paid $5 to the slut cheerleader for a handjob behind the bleachers.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Haha 3

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres