Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, skooch said:

So 350MM was possible? Is that with 8 straight batting titles, AL MVP and World Series MVP awards? This seems a pretty disingenuous way to present your case.

I was thinking that some of those clauses were probably related to MVP.  So, yeah, you have to hope that Betts and Trout break a leg in order to get paid.  Okay, sign me up!

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I agree. That's why I said the Sox should have stepped up and I don't blame Machado for taking the guaranteed deal. The Sox wanted a more team friendly deal, SD offered a player friendly deal. Take the guaranteed money.

Oh I agree was just venting, the score had been like a whitesox funeral today.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

facts are still being gathered until after Manny has his press conference. lets not jump the gun jussie

You are never going to know all the details of the White Sox offer to compare it to. 

However the most important point here is the White Sox lost the bidding for Machado and Kw/Hahn are both giving different excuses

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I missed like 30 pages and I'm not going to go back and read them, but do you guys think the Sox have any shot at Harper? Getting him is the only way I would feel better.

They wouldn't guarantee 300m for MM, they won't do that for Harper. Reinsdorf is so fucking scared of being laughed at by his old boy buddies. 

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

You are never going to know all the details of the White Sox offer to compare it to. 

However the most important point here is the White Sox lost the bidding for Machado and Kw/Hahn are both giving different excuses

They tried to get cute and got outplayed by a smarter organization. There's no reason not to be pissed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I missed like 30 pages and I'm not going to go back and read them, but do you guys think the Sox have any shot at Harper? Getting him is the only way I would feel better.

LMFAO

They're not getting Harper dude, that's silly.  They wouldnt pony up the premium for Machado but they will for Harper when Machado was their target for the last two years?

COME ON, be smarter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't even want Bryce for what he is going to get.  Rather save the bullet for Rendon/Arenado.  Bryce is going to be an albatross, and isn't even half the fit than Manny was.  

Both guys won't be on the market next year. Think again. I'm pretty sure they're both going to re-sign with their current teams. I have a feeling that most, if not all,  of the top guys for 2020 are going to re-sign to avoid this bullshit and protect themselves in case of a lockout. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, mqr said:

They tried to get cute and got outplayed by a smarter organization. There's no reason not to be pissed.

I don't even think they're smarter. They just wanted to seal the deal and did it. The White Sox were too smart for their own good and got burned.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I put the minimum on Harper at 10/330. At the very least he has to beat Stanton. If you're management and you give even a half of a shit, let alone two, about maintaining a fanbase in Chicago, you call up Boras and offer that right now. Otherwise, just start loading the moving vans now and making preparations to a move to Charlotte or Portland in 2025. 

Shit we could go to 12 years filled with opt outs, throw him at DH when he becomes abysmal in the field...

I also don't understand why this organization cares about payroll 7+ years down the road when they haven't been in the postseason since 2008. Who cares about salary flexibility then when you've gone much longer than that without being competitive?

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Both guys won't be on the market next year. Think again. I'm pretty sure they're both going to re-sign with their current teams. 

And honestly...Sale is already in talks with Red Sox for an extension, so next off season could be bare. THIS was the year with 2 26 year olds. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres