Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, RTC said:

I was thinking that some of those clauses were probably related to MVP.  So, yeah, you have to hope that Betts and Trout break a leg in order to get paid.  Okay, sign me up!

From all the talk of a "Swell-opt" deal, the incentives they are talking about are likely this structure:

At some point the White Sox have an option to "Swell" the deal. This would have added both years (up to 10 years) and extra money, bringing it up to 10/$350. If the White Sox pass on their option to swell the deal, then it becomes a player option and the player can opt out at some point.

It's not as much incentives then, it's that the White Sox get a team option on him first. If he's performing well enough to be worth a 10/$350 deal, the White Sox can opt in to that deal.

The problem is - it's a team option. If he's not performing well enough, or the FA market continues collapsing, then his guarantee of only $250 is what he gets. A swell-opt could bring him up to $350 million - but no more. If he's a top performer or the market recovers, a player option is preferred because he has a shot to get more than $350 million total that way. 

So it's probably not that he had to earn an MVP, instead it's probably that there was a team swell option in there, but a team swell option is not as good as a raw player option.

Sorry for my negative posts since this was announced today. I just really want to see another Sox winner. I am pissed that we did not sign Machado. BUT....I will try a positive post that maybe will make some fans less pissed. Now that I have thought this out, I feel a little better(I am still pissed). They are saying Machado took the "guaranteed $300 million" instead of the "potential" of $350 million if he met incentives like ASG's and such, but a less than $300 million "guarantee" from the Sox. Maybe, just maybe, Machado knows that he is not a "Charlie hustle type of guy" and will dog it the next few years and NOT perform? Just a thought.

• Haha 1

Just now, almagest said:

I also don't understand why this organization cares about payroll 7+ years down the road when they haven't been in the postseason since 2008. Who cares about salary flexibility then when you've gone much longer than that without being competitive?

In 5 years 31-33 million a year might be a bargain for these guys...stupid not to to lock these caliber guys up at low 30s.  When's the first 40 mil guy???5 years from now probably

2 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

0 chance Arenado doesn't test FA

Honestly, the report so far is that the Rockies are close but don't want to go past 7 years, which made sense if the FA market had truly collapsed and the weak offers that the White Sox were running out for Machado were true. Now that Machado has gotten 10, it makes sense for the Rockies to do 8 years.

1 minute ago, xSouthsider2 said:

Sorry for my negative posts since this was announced today. I just really want to see another Sox winner. I am pissed that we did not sign Machado. BUT....I will try a positive post that maybe will make some fans less pissed. Now that I have thought this out, I feel a little better(I am still pissed). They are saying Machado took the "guaranteed $300 million" instead of the "potential" of $350 million if he met incentives like ASG's and such, but a less than $300 million "guarantee" from the Sox. Maybe, just maybe, Machado knows that he is not a "Charlie hustle type of guy" and will dog it the next few years and NOT perform? Just a thought.

That's now how it works bud, you always take the guaranteed money, injuries happen.

1 minute ago, xSouthsider2 said:

See my discussion of the "Swell-opt" structure on previous pages. If the white sox did the structure that we were talking about for the last month - a 5 year opt out, like Manny got, is much more "betting on himself" than the swell/opt performance bonuses. He can beat that by counting his next deal with the opt out.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Both guys won't be on the market next year. Think again. I'm pretty sure they're both going to re-sign with their current teams. I have a feeling that most, if not all,  of the top guys for 2020 are going to re-sign to avoid this bullshit and protect themselves in case of a lockout. 

Yah, I disagree.  I put the chances of Arenado signing an extension with the Rockies at less than 1%.  I also put the chances of his signing with Sox at less than 5%.  

I mean obviously I would be excited for the Sox to sign Bryce.  But MM was just 10x the fit, IMO.  

8 minutes ago, almagest said:

I don't even think they're smarter. They just wanted to seal the deal and did it. The White Sox were too smart for their own good and got burned.

The master negotiator Hahn was probably overjoyed telling JR that we’re positioned to have Machado for far under the price everyone expected. 

7 minutes ago, almagest said:

I also don't understand why this organization cares about payroll 7+ years down the road when they haven't been in the postseason since 2008. Who cares about salary flexibility then when you've gone much longer than that without being competitive?

Don’t want a high payroll when you sell the team :)

1 minute ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Regarding the two prized possessions, the only thing we can hope for is the White Sox fully expected (like everybody) that Harper would sign after Machado.  They gave it the old college try to get Machado at a discount and are (hopefully) fully prepared to pony up for Harper.  

And nothing that was said by KW or HAhn gives me any reason to believe Harper is even an option right now. If I had to be Harper was just waiting for MAchado so he can tell the Phillies beat that and i'm yours.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres