Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

This is by far the most disappointing thing that has happened in any offseason, bar none.

This is legitimately the worst day I've ever had as a baseball fan. Tatis could be up there but that damage hasn't been felt yet. Feels like there's no end in sight. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MyNamesRod said:

At this point, we just gotta hope Eloy, Moncada, and Robert turn into 5+ WAR players, and cease/kopech turn into 5+ WAR pitchers. This is the only way the sox will become WS contenders. 

It's possible but way less likely than paying an established player in the prime of his career what he wants so he comes onboard to anchor your team against the prospects that don't pan out.

Other people have said it already but this is the biggest failure by this franchise that I can remember and I've been around for almost 37 years. It's almost unbelievable and it's all their fault.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Mooseman said:

And nothing that was said by KW or HAhn gives me any reason to believe Harper is even an option right now. If I had to be Harper was just waiting for MAchado so he can tell the Phillies beat that and i'm yours.

They have been receiving backlash all day, they (hopefully) aren't going to come out and say that Harper is an option just to "fail" for a second time.  

14 minutes ago, mqr said:

They tried to get cute and got outplayed by a smarter organization. There's no reason not to be pissed.

I'm not even sure the Pads are "smarter".  It might be they just have bigger balls and ponied up 300 guaranteed.

Just now, hi8is said:

This is by far the most disappointing thing that has happened in any offseason, bar none.

Absolutely, a three month long tease. Didn’t management have any idea through Soxfest, online, or any other avenue how badly fans wanted Machado? We’ve spent MONTHS fantasizing about it. If the Padres lost it, would they even be upset? How long were they in the discussion, a few weeks? 

I’d like to think JR has learned a lesson, but I doubt it. This one move completely soured everyone to the team. Bring Machado on board, maybe make a few moves, theyre definitely winning more games. Fans would be excited for the future, revenue increases, everyones happy. Well except JR because he’s worried about years 7-10 for a 26 year old elite talent

5 minutes ago, almagest said:

100%. I can't believe how badly they played themselves. They really are incompetent.

We can take solace in the fact that the Machado killed his previous HOF career. SD is where flyballs go to die. His HR total will plummet.

(ok, I'm reaching but anything to feel better today)

Edited by ptatc

8 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

That's now how it works bud, you always take the guaranteed money, injuries happen.

I think you missed my point, bud. I am wondering if he plans to dog it now that he has the "guaranteed" money. He has stated he is not "Charlie hustle". He still would have had the "guaranteed" $280 million(injuries or not) if what the Sox are saying is true about their offer. My thought is Machado maybe has no plans of going all out to make All Star Games or get any awards to earn more than $280 million.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres