Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

Manny didnt want to be here folks. it was clear from day 1.  im still going to root and hope for the best. 

why is it ok for Manny feelings to be hurt but not the sox.

im disappointed but i want facts and i am not ready to quit on my team or orginization. 

He wanted the most money. He doesn't care where from. Jerry refused to compete financially with the San Diego Padres. Stop making excuses.

• Like 3

I am sorry, I, in the past have defended JR, but this is ridiculous. He made a great deal buying the Sox. An even better deal buying the Bulls. Combined, the teams are worth about $5 billion. He and his partners, many of whom are the same for both teams, have made tons of money. And except for Michael Jordan, and a for a short while DRose, hasn't had sustained winning for either franchise. With all they have made, you would think paying Machado or Harper would be a small payback to the people of Chicago who have given so much for, except for MJ, which these guys had nothing to do with acquiring, so little. It's time for the ownership group to move on. Let there be another voice. JR's isn't woking. His loyal lieutenants' aren't working. They need to get with the times. 

• Thanks 3
  • Love 2

I grew up a Packers fan in Chicago. I am used to tough fan environments, and I still wore packers gear to school every week.

Yet today, I am about to go home at lunch to change out of the Sox shirt I mindlessly threw on today. There are no Padres fans or even Cubs fans by me. No, I am just completely ashamed of this team, and too embarrassed to be wearing their logo today. Pathetic.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, xSouthsider2 said:

I think you missed my point, bud. I am wondering if he plans to dog it now that he has the "guaranteed" money. He has stated he is not "Charlie hustle". He still would have had the "guaranteed" $280 million(injuries or not) if what the Sox are saying is true about their offer. My thought is Machado maybe has no plans of going all out to make All Star Games or get any awards to earn more than $280 million.

The opt out after 5 years is much better for the player than any other performance based options. If he's made 5 straight all star teams and hustling like crazy, the best thing he can do is have an opt-out. That option is him betting on himself.

I just don't get it... RickyGM and Co were "surprised" and "blindsided".. I mean, how?? How were you blindsided that the best possible scenario for a player to be a free agent, in terms of talent and youth, etc...  didn't want some bullshit incentive laden contract? I mean, come on you guys. What the actual fuck.

I can't wait for the Mike Trout thread in a few years....

1 dollar for every online all star fan vote you get! $50 million incentive bonus in 20 years when you make the Hall of Fame, but ONLY if you go in as a Sox player....

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

Manny didnt want to be here folks. it was clear from day 1.  im still going to root and hope for the best. 

im disappointed but i want facts and i am not ready to quit on my team or orginization. 

Valid point. But the way I look at it is the Sox screwed up. If they don't want to pony up for a star, they should not expect a single one of us to spend a dime on tickets or anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

I think you missed my point, bud. I am wondering if he plans to dog it now that he has the "guaranteed" money. He has stated he is not "Charlie hustle". He still would have had the "guaranteed" $280 million(injuries or not) if what the Sox are saying is true about their offer. My thought is Machado maybe has no plans of going all out to make All Star Games or get any awards to earn more than $280 million.

Even if Manny Machado turns into Albert Pujols and just becomes the biggest albatross in all of baseball. Signing an elite FA would have energized this fanbase.
Look at broadcasts from like 2009 and compare them to last year. There is just so much apathy among the White Sox fans.

And Apathy is the worst thing that can happen to a sports team.

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am sorry, I, in the past have defended JR, but this is ridiculous. He made a great deal buying the Sox. An even better deal buying the Bulls. Combined, the teams are worth about $5 billion. He and his partners, many of whom are the same for both teams, have made tons of money. And except for Michael Jordan, and a for a short while DRose, hasn't had sustained winning for either franchise. With all they have made, you would think paying Machado or Harper would be a small payback to the people of Chicago who have given so much for, except for MJ, which these guys had nothing to do with acquiring, so little. It's time for the ownership group to move on. Let there be another voice. JR's isn't woking. His loyal lieutenants' aren't working. They need to get with the times. 

Well said.

2 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

Don’t blame Machado. Blame your team. Why didn’t we offer the same as the Padres then and test that theory? Also he obviously didnt want to play for the Padres from day 1.....because they werent involved at day 1. 

Money won in the end as it usually does. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree....KW throwing shade to JR on his commitment up step up on contract. JR had a chance to show fans thanks for sticking with us the last decade of a complete pathetic product and he failed miserably. I don’t think the front office understands the damage done losing Machado right now.

Edited by Soxfest
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Soxfest said:

I agree....KW throwing shade to JR on his commitment up step up on contract. JR had a chance to show fans thanks for the last decade of a complete pathetic product and he failed miserably. I don’t think the front office understands the damage done losing Machado right now.

If they are so worried about money, selling is the best way to get all the money you want. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, Goober said:

Valid point. But the way I look at it is the Sox screwed up. If they don't want to pony up for a star, they should not expect a single one of us to spend a dime on tickets or anything.

You think he wanted to be in San Diego? He went with the best offer, like everybody with half a brain figured.  Sox needed to have the best offer, not this "well we tried' bullshit.  You didn't try that hard, just stfu with the spin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

What sucks is there is no doubt I would have rather seen Avi get one more chance with Palka at DH instead of giving Alonso at bats and releasing Avi

That and I still can't get my arms around the fact Alonso and Jay will be the consistent reminders of their failing for the next 8 months then Tatis and Macahdo for the next 10 years.  

Then there is the ole JR I'm not taking risk let's cobble a contract up to make certain my risk is low.

They literally have nothing to spend their money on for the next 5 years. 

Then the icing on the incompetence cake.....KW and RH can't figure out why they didn't get him.....they both need to STFU and be fired. 

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, teorey23 said:

Guys, I apologize, I thought the Sox had this in the bag and stupidly had more faith in this front office and ownership to get this done. I thought they turned a corner and I was fooled. I’m sitting here just as pissed and stunned as you are. I’m not gonna delete the account because it’s a good chat to be apart of. 

Realizing your mistake of having faith in this front office is a first step towards my forgiveness to you.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

The players union wants guaranteed money. Period. Our 350M means nothing. we were at 250M and got outbid by 50M

It's not just the players union. a "Swell opt" structure up to $350 is a worse deal for the player than a straight opt-out after 5 years. The guarantee being higher is better for the player, the straight player option after 5 years is better for the player. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres