Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I honestly wonder if KW would still be around and JR as well (would have sold?) if they hadn't won.  Makes you wonder kinda "what if".  Seems like the Sox have rallied around the core guys from that FO time and time again since then to absolutely no results.

The Bulls dumpster fire gives me no hope anything would've changed.

1 minute ago, MyNamesRod said:

I also don't believe he's getting 5 for 200 when he's 31. So it's not like the player opt out at 5 years is better no matter what. 

That is literally almost exactly what Robinson Cano got 5 years ago at age 31. A new CBA, 5 more years of revenue inflation - unless the FA market remains broken he should get more than that if he's been an all star for 5 straight seasons. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hope Sox marketing is reading this forum, and is on the phone with JR alarming him of the impending shitstorm that is about to occur. Sox fans are about to swear off the team a la Dollar Bill Wirtz/Blackhawks. If he's ok with that, it is up to him but I hope he doesn't want that. He's done a hell of a job alienating his most loyal fans. 

I literally already wrote my ticket rep telling them this is the last year I'm supporting the team via ST unless something changes dramatically. 

• Like 2

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

God I can't wait until Hahn says we had a great off-season.

He already has. He said after being disappointed for a few hours he came to the clubhouse and felt good about the players he has in there and what the future holds.

Edited by Sockin
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Hahn and Co. asked for patience and to buy into the rebuild being a success. I seriously question whether we are any closer to true contention as we sit now, than we were two years ago?

With HUGE AMOUNTS of payroll flexibility moving forward, they elected to be outbid for a premium free agent and tapped out. I do not buy into the BS that Kenny and Hahn are selling anymore. 

What I almost fear now is a panic trade of prospects for veterans and using the payroll flexibility to scoop up the second tier FAs, acting like this has been the plan all along. 

Just now, mqr said:

I actually wish I had tickets to cancel

I was either going to Tempe and Camelback or San Diego this year for spring vaction.  Would have been my 3rd time down at ST.  Easy choice, just booked my ticket to SD this morning.  5 days in March.  Looking forward to it.  Won't be following any ST news that's for sure.  

Hilarious how Hahn and Kenny got all Sox fans hopes up and made so many stupid comments regarding this chase.  Now they are left with playing mediocre family and friends for a combined $13 million over younger guys.  It’s obvious they had a big ego and thought they were going to land him for a steal at their lowball guaranteed deal.  What a couple of absolute clowns.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That is literally almost exactly what Robinson Cano got 5 years ago at age 31. A new CBA, 5 more years of revenue inflation - unless the FA market remains broken he should get more than that if he's been an all star for 5 straight seasons. 

The sox probably would have had to opt in to this deal after 3-4 years so thats at least one less year of allstar performance needed to earn that extra money. I don't really believe that he would make more than 200 for 5 years either. Also, with the swell opt, he would still have an opt out if the sox don't opt into the swell part so it really isn't as bad as you're making it seem. I agree that the guaranteed money talks, and probably makes him feel more comfortable. But if the player wants to bet on himself, i think the sox deal is better. 

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

What I almost fear now is a panic trade of prospects for veterans and using the payroll flexibility to scoop up the second tier FAs, acting like this has been the plan all along. 

Nothing like trying to acquire long-term assets and striking out two straight offseasons. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres