Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, releasing them would be the worst possible thing the Sox could do.  Jay is actually still an upgrade for this team.  But I'd rather just give younger guys who actually have a chance at being a part of the next team his at bats assuming our current 25 man is our OD 25 man.  He made more sense as a marginal upgrade with Machado manning the hot corner.

Alonso is actual legit major leaguer.  I am sure the Sox could get a similar prospect to what they gave up (Alex Call) to trade him.  I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen.  May as well just let Palka DH everyday.  Though I suspect we now see Palka in RF most days.  

The only way this can get worse is if Alex Call turns out to be a good major leaguer. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

Basabe's "broken hamate bone" occurred during batting practice. Come on. Batting practice? And they are saying during surgery the "hamate bone will be removed". I would think he "needs" the hamate bone? Are we jinxed to stay in mediocrity forever? Our crack front office and "loyal" big spending owner screw up an idiot proof free agency opportunity and our players get broken bones in batting practice? 

From wikipedia:

It is also a common injury in baseball players. Several professional baseball players have had the bone removed during the course of their careers.[4][5][6][7][8] This condition has been called "Wilson's Wrist".[9]

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Alright, be an irrational 12 year old. Go nuts.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Why is today any different for you? Your only language in this board is hyperbole. Grow the fuck up

ur a mod calling people names.  I think you should grow up.  be better.  I'm venting against the club, you're calling people children.  Hmm.

• Love 2

18 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

Someone please do a rundown of the mediocre crap Hahn acquired and the total cost.  EDIT:  I did it...  let me know if I missed anyone.

Nova - $9 million

Alonso - $9 million

Herrera - $9 million

Colome - $7.325 million

Jay - $4 million

Almost $40 million in payroll to be “mired in mediocrity” yet again.

I'd say you missed James McCann, but he doesn't even qualify as "mediocre crap", does he?

Passan said he believe the Sox knew he had a 300 million offer on the table. from the start they were told that is where they needed to be.

from the beginning he wanted 300 million and sox were not willing to go there.

the question was never 7 or 8, but why wasnt it 10.

Its an ownership thing. Considering the  market , machado would have been perfect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hahn claims there is no hard spending limit Sox won’t go........KW 5 minutes later states will can not go above 300 mil, so IMO Harper not happening. Sox fans deserve better, Sox management looks absolutely ridiculous today.

Edited by Soxfest

Wow I just read a shit ton of posts bashing RH.  

I for one would like to praise him and his ingenuity.  He got creative with his pitch to Machado, brought in family and friends.  Loaded the contract with incentives and vesting options.  The Sox offer rivaled if not was superior to the Padres offer.  

Manny wanted the larger guaranteed money, came back to the Sox and allowed them to counter/match the Padres offer, the Sox declined.  

So RH did every everything within his powers to land Machado.  He didnt get the deal done, not bc of his lack of ability etc, but bc JR capped the guaranteed money to below $300 million.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

Passan said he believe the Sox knew he had a 300 million offer on the table. from the start they were told that is where they needed to be.

Its an ownership thing. Considering the  market , machado would have been perfect.

"would have been"

The saddest truth about the saddest team in all the lands. The Sox are a team of "would have beens"

3 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Good for u 

Do it

I live about 350 miles away, so going to a game is a big deal. But I had mlbtv to keep up with my Sox. I showed my displeasure today by canceling the subscription to mlbtv. The woman that took the call actually asked "because of the White Sox?" so I was obviously not the first. Still, Reinsdorf gets his head out and signs Harper I will re subscribe AND come to some games. I know, tough talk because I know the cheapskate will not spend the money.

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

Paying $60 million over 2 years to a guy who will be 35/36 is not fun. But that's what you gotta do now. You could also just front-load the contract so it doesn't become as big of a burden down the road. We tried to get cute and it backfired in our face. Now all we have to show for it is 2 1 win players we're paying $13 million for this year. 

• Love 1

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

Id love to hear Reinsdorf explain to Hahn the differences between two years on a contract, and how it’ll potentially cripple the team 8 years in the future when such an amount due to inflation wont even seem as high

Passan: Padres were in the whole time on Machado, sound like i read between the lines.  sox dicked around and San Diego said here you go

this is not good. I been saying get the facts for months.. the only thing i think can save us is Harper.  but the more facts I am getting it does not look good

1 minute ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

Hahn is just spewing shit to try and save face. Be proud we had a competitive offer? Sheesh

The team is based in the third largest city in the country. Not fucking Des Moines, Iowa. It's so goddamn frustrating. 

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres