Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

No, everyone’s been paying to watch the team lose on purpose under the specific understanding that it was part of a process where they’d invest when they needed to invest when the right opportunities arrived. 

They just proved they aren’t really going to do that. They may say they’ll “keep trying next time,” but there will never again be a free agent this risk-free, with a more perfect fit on the roster, in a historically depressed market, where the only team you have outbid is the FUCKING PADRES. The small market Padres. 

The Sox have $15 million dollars committed to contracts NEXT season. The Padres just beat the White Sox with a bid that doesn’t even make Machado the highest paid total contract OR average AV. When Harper signs, he won’t even be the highest contract in his own damn class.

This, unfortunately, isn’t just about Machado. This is the best evidence we’ve ever seen that this regime will never sign a top free agent.

But really aren't the White Sox from an attendance and payroll standpoint are also a small market team? 

I'm only up to page 804 of this collective rant, but I'd like to interject that it seems unfair to fault Hahn or K. W. for this failure. If ownership told them that they would not go beyond a certain level, that pretty much tied their hands. 

It's hard to imagine that they will now turn their attention to Harper, who is seeking even more money. Although it is possible that they are prepared to spend more on him, than they were on Machado. I seriously doubt it, as I'm sure do most of you.

I do not want to watch Alonso and Jay taking at bats away from youngsters, who may have a place on this team, going forward, or could develop into useful trade chips.  I would much prefer to see what we have in Palka and even Engel, than watch two guys who have no future with this team. I hope that they will be able to remove those guys from the roster, even if they have to practically give them away and eat the contracts. If not, the front office will have done precisely what they vowed not to do, ie; acquire short term fixes, which do not at all fit the "long term" plan.

The one thing that seems a little inconsistent to me is the first response from K. W., in which he expressed such surprise, as though he wasn't given a chance to top the Padres' bid. Then, in the next breadth, he says that they just couldn't go 10 years and $300 Million. So, which is it?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Rick Hahn 

Sox fans will be happy when Machado hits a walk off in July and won't care that he signed in March.

We want our relationship to be positive and gain the fans trust again.

We've been planning for this free agency for a few years.

Over the next few weeks we have several moves in mind. 

Next few weeks we’ll be scraping up the bottom of the FA heap to give you more forgettable players. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

They better not acquire more free agents, of the type that are available. They already have too many, with the aforementioned Jay and Alonso. There aren't any other young free agents, that make sense, as far as I can tell. 

Edited by Lillian

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm only up to page 804 of this collective rant, but I'd like to interject that it seems unfair to fault Hahn or K. W. for this failure. If ownership told them that they would not go beyond a certain level, that pretty much tied their hands. 

It's hard to imagine that they will now turn their attention to Harper, who is seeking even more money. Although it is possible that they are prepared to spend more on him, than they were on Machado. I seriously doubt it, as I'm sure do most of you.

I do not want to watch Alonso and Jay taking at bats away from youngsters, who may have a place on this team, going forward, or could develop into useful trade chips.  I would much prefer to see what we have in Palka and even Engel, than watch two guys who have no future with this team. I hope that they will be able to remove those guys from the roster, even if they have to practically give them away and eat the contracts. If not, the front office will have done precisely what they vowed not to do, ie; acquire short term fixes, which do not at all fit the "long term" plan.

The one thing that seems a little inconsistent to me is the first response from K. W., in which he expressed such surprise, as though he wasn't given a chance to top the Padres' bid. Then, in the next breadth, he says that they just couldn't go 10 years and $300 Million. So, which is it?

Both. He was surprised Machado didn’t accept their inferior deal.......and they weren’t going to 300/10. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

As general manager, it is absolutely Rick Hahn's job to identify targets and make things palatable to ownership. How did people talk ownership into deals like Melky Cabrera when they were already at their supposed payroll limit? Rick Hahn blew $40 million on crap this offseason and maybe made the team a game or two better in the process, and that's not counting offering Abreu arbitration. If ownership wouldn't go beyond $250, then it is Rick Hahn's job to sit down and say "Here's the plan" and if ownership gives him difficulty he responds "ok then I will free up an extra $15 million here by playing Davidson at 1b and letting Abreu walk, I'll sign Shields instead of Nova, I'll run with a cheaper closer, there's your $50 million right there". Ownership mighta been jerks, but this is directly at Rick Hahn's doorstep, #1. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

This also had the possibility of gaining some Cubs fans after the horrible offseason they had.  Not saying we want everybody to jump ship, but this had the potential to gain some more casual fans and increase the teams presence in the city.  

Huh??? Who wants those type of fans? They are the ones who arrive in the 2nd inning, need a scorecard to know who is on the home team and leave to beat the traffic in the 8th. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As general manager, it is absolutely Rick Hahn's job to identify targets and make things palatable to ownership. How did people talk ownership into deals like Melky Cabrera when they were already at their supposed payroll limit? Rick Hahn blew $40 million on crap this offseason and maybe made the team a game or two better in the process, and that's not counting offering Abreu arbitration. If ownership wouldn't go beyond $250, then it is Rick Hahn's job to sit down and say "Here's the plan" and if ownership gives him difficulty he responds "ok then I will free up an extra $15 million here by playing Davidson at 1b and letting Abreu walk, I'll sign Shields instead of Nova, I'll run with a cheaper closer, there's your $50 million right there". Ownership mighta been jerks, but this is directly at Rick Hahn's doorstep, #1. 

How can you be so confident that such arguments were not presented? Maybe ownership just wouldn't agree to give Machado $300 Million. Moreover, I understood that J. R. had taken over the negotiating responsibility, in the Machado case.

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Huh??? Who wants those type of fans? They are the ones who arrive in the 2nd inning, need a scorecard to know who is on the home team and leave to beat the traffic in the 8th. 

They serve a purpose. More casual fans means greater attendance means greater revenue means more spending to improve the team and fan experience.

Then again, JR doesn't seem interested in that sort of spending, so the hell with those sorts, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I hope the Padres fail horribly and both guys are terrible.

I can’t fault the Padres or Tatis/Machado. I get their success doesn’t reflect well on us, but it’s not their fault Hahn is an idiot and JR is cheap. 

Id rather hope Eloy does that mystical thing prospects do across the league every season......succeed immediately. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Like 1

Just now, Lillian said:

How can you be so confident that such arguments were not presented? Maybe ownership just wouldn't agree to give Machado $300 Million. Moreover, I understood that J. R. had taken over the negotiating responsibility, in the Machado case.

Well he lost to fucking SAN DIEGO. The team we all heard was buried in debt and couldn't reasonably sign a top tier free agent. The team that had never had a payroll close to what the Sox had. Maybe sit this next one out, Jerry. Just sign the god damn Harper contract when it comes across your desk.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres