Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

I can’t fault the Padres or Tatis/Machado. I get their success doesn’t reflect well on us, but it’s not their fault Hahn is an idiot and JR is cheap. 

Id rather hope Eloy does that mystical thing prospects do across the league everywhere....succeed immediately. 

Well, Preller should have been banned from baseball. Besides that, no issues with padres. I would just rather see that these guys fail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

How can you be so confident that such arguments were not presented? Maybe ownership just wouldn't agree to give Machado $300 Million. Moreover, I understood that J. R. had taken over the negotiating responsibility, in the Machado case.

This is what nobody knows and what nobody will ever find out unless maybe when Hahn and KW are no longer in the organization and want to talk.  The owner makes the decisions, anybody that has had to report any type of sale or deal to the owner of a private company they worked for knows how difficult these processes can be to accomplish.  

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm only up to page 804 of this collective rant, but I'd like to interject that it seems unfair to fault Hahn or K. W. for this failure. If ownership told them that they would not go beyond a certain level, that pretty much tied their hands. 

It's hard to imagine that they will now turn their attention to Harper, who is seeking even more money. Although it is possible that they are prepared to spend more on him, than they were on Machado. I seriously doubt it, as I'm sure do most of you.

I do not want to watch Alonso and Jay taking at bats away from youngsters, who may have a place on this team, going forward, or could develop into useful trade chips.  I would much prefer to see what we have in Palka and even Engel, than watch two guys who have no future with this team. I hope that they will be able to remove those guys from the roster, even if they have to practically give them away and eat the contracts. If not, the front office will have done precisely what they vowed not to do, ie; acquire short term fixes, which do not at all fit the "long term" plan.

The one thing that seems a little inconsistent to me is the first response from K. W., in which he expressed such surprise, as though he wasn't given a chance to top the Padres' bid. Then, in the next breadth, he says that they just couldn't go 10 years and $300 Million. So, which is it?

It is absolutely fair to fault Hahn and KW for raising the expectations of the fan base if they knew JR wouldn't go above $300 million.  A competent front office would know that there was a good chance that Machado would get that type of offer from at least one team, and would make appropriate comments to the media downplaying their own chances.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

And allow you to spend more on player payroll

Not to mention, they make the game more fun.

You think all 30K of the fans at Kopech's first game were die-hards? That stadium was electric. I would love if casual fans started to come back to the games.

Edited by gusguyman

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

It is absolutely fair to fault Hahn and KW for raising the expectations of the fan base if they knew JR wouldn't go above $300 million.  A competent front office would know that there was a good chance that Machado would get that type of offer from at least one team, and would make appropriate comments to the media downplaying their own chances.

Not to mention bringing in his friends and family, at a massive opportunity cost, in order to "talk him down" from the hard money.  When has that ever worked in sports?  Like once out of hundreds of thousands of contracts?  Did they seriously think they were going to make up 50 million guaranteed on the strength of "hey your buddies are here!"?

FFS.

• Like 2

I'm getting sick of hearing about how it was a great offer because of incentives. If JR didnt want to spend 300 million, those incentives were probably shit. Otherwise, they would have just guaranteed 300 million. 

Hahn and KW also did a shit job convincing their boss to spend an extra 5 million per year over 10 years to

A. Energize and give hope to this fanbase, leading to more asses in seats and advertising dollars.

B. Prove to your customers you truly want to win, and their hard earned money isn't going to waste.

C. Giving your brand an elite talent that everyone nationally talks about. Playing games on national TV etc. Other top players wanting to sign, creating an avalanche of good vibes.

D. You wouldn't have to deal with the backlash today. America wouldn't view you and your Org as cheap, incompetent, lousy, and not worth of a click or mention. 

All of this over 2 years and 50 million that could be traded with a prospect if you didnt want it anymore. 

The rebuild is still on, but the fact that they chased Manny means they know they need a talent like his. Thus, you have lost the fans trust and respect. We will be back when games are won at a higher than average rate, guaranteed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Orlando said:

Please shut up Tim

Fuck that TA is one of the few reasons to watch this club and he's 100% right.  

People are dumb man.  They don't get how pro athletes are wired.  If TA was worried about Manny he isn't TA.  He isn't some broke ass AA kid that didn't even pick up a bat until 14 or so and then made it through CC to a 1st round pick and now to a 25 million dollar guaranteed deal.  He's TA man!  He ain't scurred.  None of these pro guys are.  Sure there are moments, but they are made of sterner stuff than you and I for the most part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Fuck that TA is one of the few reasons to watch this club and he's 100% right.  

People are dumb man.  They don't get how pro athletes are wired.  If TA was worried about Manny he isn't TA.  He isn't some broke ass AA kid that didn't even pick up a bat until 14 or so and then made it through CC to a 1st round pick and now to a 25 million dollar guaranteed deal.  He's TA man!  He ain't scurred.  None of these pro guys are.  Sure there are moments, but they are made of sterner stuff than you and I for the most part.

I'll care more about what TA thinks when he's putting up Manny numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As general manager, it is absolutely Rick Hahn's job to identify targets and make things palatable to ownership. How did people talk ownership into deals like Melky Cabrera when they were already at their supposed payroll limit? Rick Hahn blew $40 million on crap this offseason and maybe made the team a game or two better in the process, and that's not counting offering Abreu arbitration. If ownership wouldn't go beyond $250, then it is Rick Hahn's job to sit down and say "Here's the plan" and if ownership gives him difficulty he responds "ok then I will free up an extra $15 million here by playing Davidson at 1b and letting Abreu walk, I'll sign Shields instead of Nova, I'll run with a cheaper closer, there's your $50 million right there". Ownership mighta been jerks, but this is directly at Rick Hahn's doorstep, #1. 

I disagree. We have no clue what transpired in the process. We can blame the entire front office but we have no idea if Jerry, Kenny or Rick was mostly to blame. Remember, if Jerry thinks Kenny and/or Rick screwed it up, he can fire them.  But as I posted last week, Jerry turns 84 next week so for all we know he may not know what Kenny and Rick do. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm getting sick of hearing about how it was a great offer because of incentives. If JR didnt want to spend 300 million, those incentives were probably shit. Otherwise, they would have just guaranteed 300 million. 

Hahn and KW also did a shit job convincing their boss to spend an extra 5 million per year over 10 years to

A. Energize and give hope to this fanbase, leading to more asses in seats and advertising dollars.

B. Prove to your customers you truly want to win, and their hard earned money isn't going to waste.

C. Giving your brand an elite talent that everyone nationally talks about. Playing games on national TV etc. Other top players wanting to sign, creating an avalanche of good vibes.

D. You wouldn't have to deal with the backlash today. America wouldn't view you and your Org as cheap, incompetent, lousy, and not worth of a click or mention. 

All of this over 2 years and 50 million that could be traded with a prospect if you didnt want it anymore. 

The rebuild is still on, but the fact that they chased Manny means they know they need a talent like his. Thus, you have lost the fans trust and respect. We will be back when games are won at a higher than average rate, guaranteed. 

You’d think they would tell him one less shitty player, per year, over the course of the contract evens out the deal compared to where they were. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SCCWS said:

I disagree. We have no clue what transpired in the process. We can blame the entire front office but we have no idea if Jerry, Kenny or Rick was mostly to blame. Remember, if Jerry thinks Kenny and/or Rick screwed it up, he can fire them.  But as I posted last week, Jerry turns 84 next week so for all we know he may not know what Kenny and Rick do. 

Failing to sign a game-changing free agent when everything has lined up in your favor is absolutely an organizational failure. This isn't just on Jerry.

• Love 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres