Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What the fuck? Manny should be pissed or hes just a dumbass. Does he plan on sitting out the last two years of his deal with the Padres? This makes it much worse. Incentives arent even that hard to hit.

As an agent you cant take that deal. Those incentives are entirely out of his control. In year 8 if he misses a few weeks to injury, he potentially loses $70mil.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What the fuck? Manny should be pissed or hes just a dumbass. Does he plan on sitting out the last two years of his deal with the Padres? This makes it much worse. Incentives arent even that hard to hit.

If teams don’t want you to hit your vesting option, you won’t hit it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

I don't know about that, I could easily see a scenario where the White Sox fudge a 35 year old Machado's playing time to ensure he doesn't get the required number of PA. This has happened plenty of times before to other guys and if I were Machado I would be thinking the same is likely to happen to me in the future. The SD offer was still better. Just guarantee the damn money.

One of the most loyal organizations in professional sports to their stars and their gonna screw him in year 9 and 10 if hes healthy? Zero chance of that.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People seem to be forgetting it's a VESTING option..those options are totally just for show. He knows and everybody knows that Jerry or one of the cheap reinsdorfs who owns the team at that point would just opt out. Guaranteed money means MUCH more

• Thanks 1

One of the most loyal organizations in professional sports to their stars and their gonna screw him in year 9 and 10 if hes healthy? Zero chance of that.

Give me a break. If they were so committed just guarantee it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bighurt574 said:

That's actually a pretty solid offer, 550 PA's is easy enough if he's reasonably healthy.

But I still hate to lose a guy over that.  Wish we would have just guaranteed 10 years.  

Its actually not a solid offer at all in comparison.. who would risk $50 million on how their body holds up when they reach 35/36 years old?

Heres two offers, one is worth $300 million no matter what. The other is worth $250 million but could be $320 million in 9-10 years provided you age well.

Which one are you taking, every time. Pretty easy to me.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Just now, T R U said:

Its actually not a solid offer at all in comparison.. who would risk $50 million on how their body holds up when they reach 35/36 years old?

Heres two offers, one is worth $300 million no matter what. The other is worth $250 million but could be $320 million in 9-10 years provided you age well.

Which one are you taking, every time. Pretty easy to me.

Machado was right to take $300 guaranteed all day

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

That's actually a pretty solid offer, 550 PA's is easy enough if he's reasonably healthy.

But I still hate to lose a guy over that.  Wish we would have just guaranteed 10 years.  

I agree that it's a solid offer.  It's just frustrating that it came down to $50M guaranteed money.  They would have paid less per year.

In all honesty, what would we be saying if it had been the Phillies as runners-up with that offer?  Would we be as critical of their front office?  I'm not being a dick, I'm actually curious.

Then just offer him the fucking money. These leaks make the team look so much worse. They don't even give people a chance to get over it they just double down on how they fucked up a massive opportunity that was gift wrapped for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

As an agent you cant take that deal. Those incentives are entirely out of his control. In year 8 if he misses a few weeks to injury, he potentially loses $70mil.

Idk. Unless the 350 was bs it seems had other ways to earn another 30 million in those too. And as I said, say what you want about cheap Jerry but he takes care of his players.

• Haha 1

What if his play declines and we have another option at 3rd who is better at that point? These are things Manny and his agent look at. Guaranteed money in year 9 and 10 from the Padres beats our wishful thinking. 

Just now, steveno89 said:

Machado was right to take $300 guaranteed all day

Of course he was, the White Sox thought they were smarter than the room here. We got his brother, we got his buddy, we offered $250 million disguised as $320 million.. we got this!

Oh, oops :(

• Thanks 1

Idk. Unless the 350 was bs it seems had other ways to earn another 30 million in those too. And as I said, say what you want about cheap Jerry but he takes care of his players.

This is worse than a cheap owner. This is an incompetent front office. Even when the money was there for them they couldn't close the deal.

Only plate appearances (or IP for pitchers) and awards can be offered as incentives. The 30 million extra was probably for MVP, Gold Glove, or Silver Slugger awards.

30 minutes ago, mqr said:

They shouldn't have aquired them in the first place. Take all the money you gave out this offseason and add it to Manny's contract and we're not having this conversation. Rick Hahn sucks. 

And if Jerry told him he won't approve $300M guaranteed for Machado, then what?

Nobody knows what actually happened behind closed doors.  

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

What if his play declines and we have another option at 3rd who is better at that point? These are things Manny and his agent look at. Guaranteed money in year 9 and 10 from the Padres beats our wishful thinking. 

So he DH's. If manny is do bad years 9 and 10 that you cant even bank on him starting then arguing you should guarantee those years is risky imo. Then you're giving 8 years 300 million which is too much.

9 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

All we can hope is we end up watching Machado struggle in SD and say that we dodged a bullet.  I think he opts out after 5 years and gets more money somewhere else, especially if the Padres don't make the playoffs AND he plays well.

I was thinking if Machado doesn't make the HOF he might regret going to a big ballpark in SD over our band box, But then again that $300M pillow will be nice and cushy to sleep on.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If they're so loyal why not guarantee the last 2 years? He'll have absolutely given you his best in the previous years so take care of him 100% from the get go.

Like when he told Jordan he was gonna regret giving him that contract? He does look out for guys, but in the Sox case we are in new territory. 68 million is still our high mark. That's embarrassing to be honest. 

Do you think Jerry is going to be around in 8 years?

Hes 82. 

The guy was cheap over years he likely is never even going to see. $25mil in 9 years is going to be worth much less than it is today. The Sox spent that much money on random guys this offseason. They were too cheap to get a premiere player over maybe payroll worries in a decade.

Its inexcusable. Especially when you think about how much money theyve been making with a really low payroll.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres