Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

This is worse than a cheap owner. This is an incompetent front office. Even when the money was there for them they couldn't close the deal.

Only plate appearances (or IP for pitchers) and awards can be offered as incentives. The 30 million extra was probably for MVP, Gold Glove, or Silver Slugger awards.

Once again... if manny is good enough to warrant the contract then having dumb silver slugger and gold glove incentives should make that an easy sign for him. Just my opinion. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So he DH's. If manny is do bad years 9 and 10 that you cant even bank on him starting then arguing you should guarantee those years is risky imo. Then you're giving 8 years 300 million which is too much.

OR THEY COULD HAVE GIVEN HIM 10 YEARS 300 MILLION LIKE HE SIGNED FOR

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So he DH's. If manny is do bad years 9 and 10 that you cant even bank on him starting then arguing you should guarantee those years is risky imo. Then you're giving 8 years 300 million which is too much.

You keep looking at this from Jerry's point of view. Manny isn't going to risk 70 million on the chance we haven't found a new 3B and DH. If he is an average player at 35 we would not pay him 35 million. No chance of that. 

Also you have to take on the risk to get the player. We need them, not the other way around. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

1 minute ago, almagest said:

If they're so loyal why not guarantee the last 2 years? He'll have absolutely given you his best in the previous years so take care of him 100% from the get go.

I could list examples all day but Jerry reinsdorf paying Jay William's his entire bonus despite there being a clause in his contract saying its void if he rode a motor cycle... then Jay williams had the nerve to RIP the organization.

He also lent money to Thomas during his divorce. His loyalty within with former players and etc shows that. Giving a job to randy brown when he was going bankrupt and pippen. 

Jerry is a loyal guy. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I won't argue that the Sox are an extremely loyal organization, but they are also one of the cheapest. If Jerry is still alive and kicking, they absolutely would try to prevent those options from vesting.

I could list examples all day but Jerry reinsdorf paying Jay William's his entire bonus despite there being a clause in his contract saying its void if he rode a motor cycle... then Jay williams had the nerve to RIP the organization.

He also lent money to Thomas during his divorce. His loyalty within with former players and etc shows that. Giving a job to randy brown when he was going bankrupt and pippen. 

Jerry is a loyal guy. 

Jerry is 82. 

Youre bettting $50mil on an 82 year old being loyal 8 years from now.

Id rip any agent who did that. 

• Like 3

Jerry is a loyal guy. 

Jay William's money was 3 million and he didnt have to pay his full contract, so he saved money anyway. How much did he lend to big Frank? Was it 35 million and another 35 million?

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I won't argue that the Sox are an extremely loyal organization, but they are also one of the cheapest. If Jerry is still alive and kicking, they absolutely would try to prevent those options from vesting.

Give me evidence of this organization ever cheating out on their own players and doing something like this. The Sox paid out bonuses they didnt owe after world series.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Like when he told Jordan he was gonna regret giving him that contract? He does look out for guys, but in the Sox case we are in new territory. 68 million is still our high mark. That's embarrassing to be honest. 

We have been blown out of the water now by the Machado and Hosmer deals, and Myers is probably pretty close, too.  Then there’s Tatis coming, lol.  Might be 4 before all is said and done....we can never call the White Sox a large market organization again.

Let’s not forget our second biggest deal in history is JohnFreaking Danks, lol.  I’m pretty sure Buehrle, Konerko or Magglio are in a close battle for third.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Jay William's money was 3 million and he didnt have to pay his full contract, so he saved money anyway. How much did he lend to big Frank? Was it 35 million and another 35 million?

He didnt owe ANY of it. I'd love to see you give 3 million away. Puhleeze. You arguing he should have paid the guy his contract too while he career was over?

Give me evidence of this organization ever cheating out on their own players and doing something like this. The Sox paid out bonuses they didnt owe after world series.

That obviously didn't matter to Machado. Know who you are trying to sign a contract with and adjust your offer accordingly. 

I've avoided this board all day, but I will only say one thing.  

This is all Jerry Reinsdorf's fault.  The options don't mean anything, if you're willing to go that high just put it in fricken guarantees.  This was embarrassing and pathetic.

Jerry, please do us all a favor and sell the team.  Also, a big middle finger and **** you to Jerry.

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

That will surely boost morale at the ghost town formerly known as US Cellular.

So what... I'm pointing out you can attack Jerry for a lot of things but not acting in good faith in regards to a contract signed is not one of them and you cant argue he doesnt take care of his people.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The A's did it like two years ago. The Sox currently artificial suppressing their best assets Salary. So..

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He didnt owe ANY of it. I'd love to see you give 3 million away. Puhleeze. You arguing he should have paid the guy his contract too while he career was over?

Jay William's was under contract getting paid millions. His contract was voided and JR took that money and gave it to him. Good gesture, yes, but not the end of the word. If I were a Billionaire with Jordan as my legacy I assure you I'd have no problem dishing out three million. Of course he gave out bonuses after the WS, he just won a title. Philly Eagles gave Nick Foles a million dollar bonus he didnt technically earn. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What the fuck? Manny should be pissed or hes just a dumbass. Does he plan on sitting out the last two years of his deal with the Padres? This makes it much worse. Incentives arent even that hard to hit.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People are arguing against your comment that Machado is a dumbass for taking $50mil guaranteed over the maybe $70mil that was entirely out of his hands. Your counter argument was, JR, an 82 year old man, would make sure he is taken care of 8 years from now.

Im sorry, $50mil guaranteed is worth more than that. If JR would make sure he was going to take care of Machado, why not give him 2 years $50mil more and be done with it?

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres