Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I don't know why WSD and several others are angry at Machado. I would have done the same thing if I were in his position. We all need to be pissed at Reinsdorf, this is his fault.

Dave has somehow convinced himself that the White Sox offer was better. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

I don't know why WSD and several others are angry at Machado. I would have done the same thing if I were in his position. We all need to be pissed at Reinsdorf, this is his fault.

Just now, mqr said:

Dave has somehow convinced himself that the White Sox offer was better. 

Because WSD doesnt know as much as he thinks he does.

But hey, hes got all those inside sauces. Remember when insiders were a thing on Soxtalk? And they told all of us who had been here forever how much their sauces knew.

In the end, my no sauces takes were right.

Go figure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Manny also has bad knees potentially and isn’t willing to risk 50 million dollars on the knees staying strong.

Yea it's called aging for a reason. You reach a peak physically then decline especially when you are at the top of the list in games played every year. it's the Frank Thomas diminishing skills clause just presented differently. God forbid the Sox FO ever gives in to a genuine difference maker .No they just have to have it their way. My way or the highway and Manny took that highway to SD.

• Like 1

Something else that shouldn't be lost here:  Hahn, KW, and JR just got outplayed.  From the sounds of it, they were confident that their offer last night would be enough.  They made a critical error in judgment in thinking the Padres would not offer a guaranteed 10/300.  If they had thought that, they might have made a better offer.  Do we know for a fact that Lozano called Hahn this morning and gave him an opportunity to beat the Padres??  Didn't Kenny say he learned of the deal on twitter??  It might not have been cheapness that did them in, but incompetency in reading the Padres interest.

3 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

You can't fault Machado, it was a no brainer to pick going to SD. Fuck this front office, bunch of clowns 

Thought I would hate him if he didn't come here, but it's far from the truth. If he came here with both of those offers on the table, I would've questioned his intelligence

22 minutes ago, T R U said:

Its actually not a solid offer at all in comparison.. who would risk $50 million on how their body holds up when they reach 35/36 years old?

Heres two offers, one is worth $300 million no matter what. The other is worth $250 million but could be $320 million in 9-10 years provided you age well.

Which one are you taking, every time. Pretty easy to me.

Didn’t say it was better than SD.  Wish they would have just guaranteed it.  Or at least guaranteed a 9th year to make it a more interesting choice.

There are 2 good things about this (they arent that great but hey, this is my 1 optimistic post)

1) The Sox front office got valuable experience in negotiating for a premier talent. This will hopefully help them in the future. Instead of hemming and hawing for discounts, they get the deal done when they cane.

2) I hope its the end of the influx of "insiders." All of us outsiders may as well just speculate based on fact, reason and evidence. Because it turned out way more accurate than any insider was. 

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

Something else that shouldn't be lost here:  Hahn, KW, and JR just got outplayed.  From the sounds of it, they were confident that their offer last night would be enough.  They made a critical error in judgment in thinking the Padres would not offer a guaranteed 10/300.  If they had thought that, they might have made a better offer.  Do we know for a fact that Lozano called Hahn this morning and gave him an opportunity to beat the Padres??  Didn't Kenny say he learned of the deal on twitter??  It might not have been cheapness that did them in, but incompetency in reading the Padres interest.

how did thry get outplayed.  This wasnt a blind bid.  The agent asked them to match. They said no.

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Soxtalk is just special...

...the owner who offered to break every club record in spending by a huge margin is cheap.

That's just dumb.

I. Don't. Care. About. Offered. He wouldn't go where this was expected to go since last January. They were never serious and it's coincidence their name lasted this long. 

5 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Soxtalk is just special...

...the owner who offered to break every club record in spending by a huge margin is cheap.

That's just dumb.

And now it’s just an offer that wasn’t accepted meaning it’s a record of absolutely nothing.

Oh, but you continue to bask in the glory that is being the runner-up on a future Hall of Fame free agent signing...  you can categorize it up there with falling short on Alex Rodriguez when he signed with Texas!

The Sox wanted Machado at their price and they got burned.  They now look like epic failures and rightfully so.

Edited by Machado2Sox

1 minute ago, Machado2Sox said:

And now it’s just an offer that wasn’t accepted meaning it’s a record of absolutely nothing.

Oh, but you continue to bask in the glory that is being the runner-up on a future Hall of Fame free agent signing...

So basically you're telling me he's cheap because he wouldn't do ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING to get one player.  Get real.  

lol.  Change your username

Edited by AustinIllini

They lost out on what will be their best chance in likely what will end up being their past chance to sign a premier free agent in the past 50 years. All of the stars aligned for the Sox to sign Machado and they still lost because their offer was mediocre at best - they were $50 million less than the next highest bid. So yeah, Sox front office is trash and deserves to be ridiculed. 

Just wait til they try to make it up to the fans with garbage tier 2 and 3 FAs next year and likely  trading for some bad contracts.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres