Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, caulfield12 said:

And always finishes in a close second...great rallying cry, there.  We were almost good enough, darn it.

Sox were a serious contender for the best free agent in baseball.  They were second.

They got outbid by a fairly insane offer.  Sorry, I don't buy your bs on this.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

A lot easier to say you'll do something than actually do it. 

He offered it.  If Machado accepted, he would have paid it.  Not sure what he can do.

"Cheap" teams aren't offering $250 million for one free agent.  

Edited by AustinIllini

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Kenny said he was shocked by the decision and thought the Sox had the high offer.  Where was it reported that the agent today asked them to match?

Either Kenny is lying or Lazano is incompitent... or both.

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

Sox were a serious contender for the best free agent in baseball.  They were second.

They got outbid by the offer everyone projected he would a get a year ago....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

how did thry get outplayed.  This wasnt a blind bid.  The agent asked them to match. They said no.

This did not happen and rarely EVER happens in professional sports negotiations. You are asked to submit a final bid blind - this is how a guy like arod gets 50 over next team. An agent cant lie about another teams offer and consider that negotiating in good faith so blind offers are usually how this works and is sure how it went here... as was pointed out Lozano asked for blind bids at turn of new year and wasnt satisfied so started back up and did it again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Insane offer? 10 years 300 million was the expectation. Coming in with 250 was weak, so in it as you like though. Do you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xSouthsider2 said:

I live about 350 miles away, so going to a game is a big deal. But I had mlbtv to keep up with my Sox. I showed my displeasure today by canceling the subscription to mlbtv. The woman that took the call actually asked "because of the White Sox?" so I was obviously not the first. Still, Reinsdorf gets his head out and signs Harper I will re subscribe AND come to some games. I know, tough talk because I know the cheapskate will not spend the money.

Good for you for what you did, I really respect you

1 minute ago, almagest said:

How is 10/300 insane?

It's a ton for one guy.  It just is.  He got what everyone said he was going to get but ONLY one team was willing to pay it.  This wasn't some 10 team bidding war.

Fine: Reinsdorf is cheap, just like every other team that didn't offer Machado

8 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Soxtalk is just special...

...the owner who offered to break every club record in spending by a huge margin is cheap.

That's just dumb.

Well whose record did the owner break?  His own - he's been owner for the last 40 years.
It's called creating your own reality.

I'm not so sure he's cheap...the front office personnel are just really bad investors.  They'd rather spend Machado money on 5 stiffs instead of 1 guy who can actually play.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Insane offer? 10 years 300 million was the expectation. Coming in with 250 was weak, so in it as you like though. Do you. 

One team offered that.  So you're saying all the other teams were cheap?

Got it.  Just wanted to make sure I got your nonsense straight.

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

There was nothing even remotely insane about the offer. He's not even the highest paid player in the game.

So, what do the Sox play for, this season? Is this year # 3 of "tank for the Draft"? If Hahn tries to fill a bunch of holes with guys who are not part of the long term plan, this fan base will be even more livid. Unless they just accept the losing, that reversal of intentions would seem almost inevitable. They are not going to compete without adding too many pieces, and none of them meet the criteria of being part of the long term rebuild.

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Kenny said he was shocked by the decision and thought the Sox had the high offer.  Where was it reported that the agent today asked them to match?

Watch his full interview, Kenny says there was a “rumor of a $300 million deal out there”. Kenny, Hahn and JR met w Lozano yesterday evening.  Not hard to connect the dots...they were told yesterday and they countered w that 8/250 plus 2 vesting option years to 320-350 or whatever.

Phils and Klentak were contacted this morning, according to Phils reports and wouldn’t go to 300 guaranteed either.

So “surprise” is more that KW et al tried to call Lozano’s bluff and Manny/Lozano just moved on an took Padres deal.

This is textbook overplaying a hand.  A shame really because it’s easily argued that Sox better off matching Padres than that unnecessary creative offer that de-risks ages 35 and 36.

So we’ve now traded away a hall of famer in his prime (Sale) for nothing of substance (nobody has produced thus far), and passed on signing another hall of famer in his prime at a very reasonable price. This is the stuff dynasties are made of.

Honestly, if Reindsorf didn’t luck into Jordan and Pippen, he may be the worst owner in professional sports.

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

There was nothing even remotely insane about the offer. He's not even the highest paid player in the game.

So why weren't six teams trying to match the Padres with such a great deal?  Sorry, I don't buy it.  If Jerry is cheap for offering a guy $250 million and getting outbid by only one team, that's a soft market, not a cheap owner.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

That's a massive, massive problem

See Hosmer, Myers and the future Tatis, Jr., extension.  They couldn’t even keep their NFL franchise, and they already have three deals bigger than a supposed large market club.  

Our second biggest of all time is John More Famous Now for His Wife Danks.

Just now, AustinIllini said:

One team offered that.  So you're saying all the other teams were cheap?

Got it.  Just wanted to make sure I got your nonsense straight.

Most of the markets that are our size or higher have high payrolls or don't need him. They also have players of his caliber on their rosters.

2 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Watch his full interview, Kenny says there was a “rumor of a $300 million deal out there”. Kenny, Hahn and JR met w Lozano yesterday evening.  Not hard to connect the dots...they were told yesterday and they countered w that 8/250 plus 2 vesting option years to 320-350 or whatever.

Phils and Klentak were contacted this morning, according to Phils reports and wouldn’t go to 300 guaranteed either.

So “surprise” is more that KW et al tried to call Lozano’s bluff and Manny/Lozano just moved on an took Padres deal.

This is textbook overplaying a hand.  A shame really because it’s easily argued that Sox better off matching Padres than that unnecessary creative offer that de-risks ages 35 and 36.

You can say this 1000 times but its not true. As I said, MAYBE, if you played somewhere for a while or something crazy like that, the agent may give you a chance to match and its understandable and acceptable practice - ie the nationals with Bryce (MAYBE). But the white Sox were undoubtedly in a blind final bid and went to bed thinking it was the best offer and woke up to a call from Lozano telling Hahn they took the Padres deal.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres