Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

"The Phillies would not counter San Diego."

If Lozano was not willing to take counter offers, then he left money on the table.

Dude that's not what that says, that's the Phillies saying too rich for my blood. That's not Lozano leaving money on the table, that's the Phillies and White Sox saying they will not go to $300 million.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fathom said:

My thought is Lozano came to them saying they had 300 elsewhere and asked Sox if they could match. Sox said no, kept their offer from last night and was hoping Lozano was bluffing. Then Lozano calls Hahn to say it’s over.

I don't think this happened, I think they found out when it hit the press. 

1 hour ago, bighurt574 said:

That's actually a pretty solid offer, 550 PA's is easy enough if he's reasonably healthy.

But I still hate to lose a guy over that.  Wish we would have just guaranteed 10 years.  

This would give the White Sox the ability to fuck him over though by limiting his playing time. He will likely be declining by then which would give them an excuse to bench him more. Declining talent and increase injury probability due to aging make the 550 PA not as much of an easy guarantee as some think.

Just now, drgiggles15 said:

A lot of people believe we dodged a bullet today, we shall see. On a side note, I saw this on a Phillies FB page 😂 

Screenshot_20190219-175844_Facebook.jpg

Yeah...where would the Padres come up with any talent to put around him. I mean, how on Earth will they ever fill that shortstop position, no organization could be dumb enough to give them a top flight shortstop for the garbage that they have to sell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Agree here.  The Sox had their chance to counter yesterday afternoon/ evening when kw, Hahn and jr met w Lozano.  They sweetened offer and tried to sell Lozano on 250 + vesting options or whatever.  They didn’t get another chance but did have a chance to match/BEAT top offer of 10/300.

1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

This would give the White Sox the ability to fuck him over though by limiting his playing time. He will likely be declining by then which would give them an excuse to bench him more. Declining talent and increase injury probability due to aging make the 550 PA not as much of an easy guarantee as some think.

It also wouldn't have to be the White Sox as they could readily have hit a point in 5 or 6 years where they trade him.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

My thought is Lozano came to them saying they had 300 elsewhere and asked Sox if they could match. Sox said no, kept their offer from last night and was hoping Lozano was bluffing. Then Lozano calls Hahn to say it’s over.

I could see it this way but also buy the Sox knowing the Padres offer was legit and just flat-out refusing to match cuz they hit what they deemed to be their acceptable dollar amount for Machado.

Either way, I have no doubt Lozano informed the Sox of the Padres offer.  He would be the worst agent ever if he didn’t and see if the Sox would match or even offer a bit more.  I have no doubt Machado would be in Chicago if the Sox offered the exact same contract as the Padres.

5 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Yeah, that is like one pulled hamstring.  

2 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I never got a response to my previous question about whether the White Sox offer to Manny including any opt outs. If not then that was likely a major reason for him choosing the Padres with the 5th year opt out.

We're not sure. The most recent version someone posted - the 8 year, $250 million one, with 2 team option years - that would not have had an opt out because the team vesting option wouldn't have fit with that.

The other one, the one I think they talked about with a Swell-opt - that might have gotten to an opt out, but only if the White Sox declined the Swell.

So I think the best "opt out" offer he received was the San Diego one. That's the only one that appears to have a straight player opt-out.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t buy this for a second.  Agents always see if they can get a little more, or even get a match if one location is more desirable to their client than another.  Where would the logic be in Lozano not checking in with the Sox one last time with the Padres offer prior to accepting it?

Edited by Machado2Sox

Just now, Machado2Sox said:

I don’t buy this for a second.  Agents always see if they can get a little more, or even get a match if one location is more desirable to their client than another.  Where would the logic be in Lozano checking in with the Sox one last time with the Padres offer?

He absolutely checked in, he probably asked all 3 franchises yesterday if they would go to $300 million guaranteed, 2 of them said no - as we saw with the Phillies quote earlier. One did and that made it an easy decision. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

He absolutely checked in, he probably asked all 3 franchises yesterday if they would go to $300 million guaranteed, 2 of them said no - as we saw with the Phillies quote earlier. One did and that made it an easy decision. 

Yep, I can agree with this scenario.

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

This. Exactly this.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres