Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Please don’t find the article on twitter that shows how the Padres got Urias instead of the Sox at the last minute also.  I feel like the Padres are living the good life the Sox were supposed to have.

Wait... what? Sox were supposed to get Urias?

From what I remembered, the Padres weren’t one of the teams interested in Machado until more recently.  Who knows...  maybe if the Sox budge and raise their offer a bit from $250 million a few weeks ago they get Machado to sign before the Padres jumped in with their late to the party interest.

Edited by Machado2Sox

5 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

From what I remembered, the Padres weren’t one of the teams interested in Machado until more recently.  Who knows...  maybe if the Sox budge and raise their offer a bit from $250 million a few weeks ago they get Machado to sign before the Padres jumped in with their late to the party interest.

Machado didn't tour and meet with them but it does sound like the Padres were at least in contact all offseason. This is probably the first time that Machado's side dropped their ask down to $300 million all offseason. The Padres professional general manager just got his ownership to act on a good contract offer when the real proposal came, unlike our clowns. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox felt their offer was superior, why didn’t they downgrade it like Lozano wanted and signed the player?

The spin on this is as bad as losing this deal. They couldn't have handled this worse from start to finish.

Just an embarrassment of an organization at this point. They deserve every bit of ridicule they receive. I've never had less faith in this team than I do now.

2 minutes ago, shakes said:

The spin on this is as bad as losing this deal. They couldn't have handled this worse from start to finish.

Just an embarrassment of an organization at this point. They deserve every bit of ridicule they receive. I've never had less faith in this team than I do now.

Yup 

1 minute ago, shakes said:

It’s pretty clear they thought they were getting him.

I am definitely sickened by missing out on Machado but it's interesting to imagine that maybe his interviews didn't go over that great, whether it be the hustle comment or the "dirty plays" over his career and it caused multiple teams to not want to go to $300M and try to get him for a "discount".  Phillies wouldn't go $300M?   Padres outbid everyone...crazy.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

3 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I am definitely sickened by missing out on Machado but it's interesting to imagine that maybe his interviews didn't go over that great, whether it be the hustle comment or the "dirty plays" over his career and it caused multiple teams to not want to go to $300M and try to get him for a "discount".  Phillies wouldn't go $300M?   Padres outbid everyone...think about it. 

And yet, his final contract came in pretty much right in the range people would have guessed at the start of the offseason. Maybe at the lower end, but the Yankees also weren't involved. 

No need to take anything from the fact that the White Sox wouldn't go that high. They're clowns. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And yet, his final contract came in pretty much right in the range people would have guessed at the start of the offseason. Maybe at the lower end, but the Yankees also weren't involved. 

No need to take anything from the fact that the White Sox wouldn't go that high. They're clowns. 

Seriously. If we would have polled I guarantee. Machado was 10/300 and Bryce was 10/350

To me this goes back to what I was saying earlier. The Whitesox were not in a position to call anyone’s bluff on a take it or leave it scenario whether be setting a deadline or being cautious with the money. This is essentially what happened. The agent said we got someone at 300 mil, the Sox called their bluff and said no and we lost out on what we really thought we had in the bag. They will continue to lose out on big named free agents with having the worries of saving a buck mentality JR has. It’s sad, but true you can’t have nice things thinking that way especially when going into this offseason it was well known both Harper and Machado were looking for around 300 mil...

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Seriously. If we would have polled I guarantee. Machado was 10/300 and Bryce was 10/350

I mighta cautiously guessed $325 thinking that he's so likely to be worth it that a smart GM would just get it done rather than play it out to the end. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres