Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And yet, his final contract came in pretty much right in the range people would have guessed at the start of the offseason. Maybe at the lower end, but the Yankees also weren't involved. 

No need to take anything from the fact that the White Sox wouldn't go that high. They're clowns. 

But yet the two teams that everybody suggested would be all in on these players BOTH wouldn't hit that amount and it sounds like they had the chance to at least match it.  I could be wrong but what do I know.  

1 minute ago, Chi Town Sox said:

But yet the two teams that everybody suggested would be all in on these players BOTH wouldn't hit that amount and it sounds like they had the chance to at least match it.  I could be wrong but what do I know.  

yeah the phillies would not match this, but we will see what they do next. 

The White Sox, they wouldn't match it because they're clowns. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I mighta cautiously guessed $325 thinking that he's so likely to be worth it that a smart GM would just get it done rather than play it out to the end. 

I don’t necessarily know if I can blame Hahn for this though, this has JR stench all over it. It sounds like he didn’t want to push the 300 mil guaranteed and this was the only play Hahn had was to have the signing be incentive based to have a competitive offer over 300 mil

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s pretty clear they thought they were getting him.

Which just makes it worse. It's Kenny Williams arrogance manifesting all the way through the organization and into a very public negotiation. This is so gross.

Reinsdorf really has pulled some garbage over his fan bases. We are all in an abusive relationship.

Just now, shakes said:

Which just makes it worse. It's Kenny Williams arrogance manifesting all the way through the organization and into a very public negotiation. This is so gross.

Reinsdorf really has pulled some garbage over his fan bases. We are all in an abusive relationship.

How in the world is KW to blame for this?

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

I don’t necessarily know if I can blame Hahn for this though, this has JR stench all over it. It sounds like he didn’t want to push the 300 mil guaranteed and this was the only play Hahn had was to have the signing be incentive based to have a competitive offer over 300 mil

Just remember this - the Padres have more salary commitments than we do, worse salary commitments than we do,  but their actual professional General Manager was able to convince ownership this was a quality move and the right move. If JR was unwilling to commit this money, then part of the blame goes back to the general manager for failing to have the trust of ownership, or for figuring out a way to clear whatever other salary was needed to do it. 

And on top of that, ownership was ok with our unprofessional general manager presenting himself as though the team wouldn't lose the player, and thus costing ownership money directly because people will cancel tickets today. And ownership was ok with them spending $13 million on players who will now be hated by the fan base. And ownership was ok with the other $25 million in wasted spending this offseason.

Do not give the general manager a pass just because ownership is part of the problem. This general manager is a disaster. Ownership's biggest mistake is continuing to employ him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The amount of disdain in my heart for this team dependent upon this one signing shows me that I need to stop caring about the White Sox.

When you love something, it hurts when they let you down. Make no mistake about it, they let us down and then stepped on our nuts three times. We as fans need to evaluate how we handle this organization. I stopped going to and watching Bulls games and will do the same for the Sox until further notice. I will be all in on the Brewers this year. I head up there for work during baseball season a bit, so I'll catch some games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

When you love something, it hurts when they let you down. Make no mistake about it, they let us down and then stepped on our nuts three times. We as fans need to evaluate how we handle this organization. I stopped going to and watching Bulls games and will do the same for the Sox until further notice. I will be all in on the Brewers this year. I head up there for work during baseball season a bit, so I'll catch some games. 

Residing in Southern California with zero desire to root dodgers or halos... I’m seriously consider becoming a Padres fan until further notice.

5 minutes ago, shakes said:

I didn't mean it was. I just meant his public arrogance is coming out again at the worst time.

KW is a fool in his own right. He is like John Paxson, doesnt get the job done and signs players 10 years too late. Like Paxson, he is arrogant and too hands on with players and coaches. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

If they decided manny wasn’t worth it, whatever that would suck but I’d live. The fact that they went all in hurts so much. 

Yeah. If we were out earlyish I’d be a little pissed but it’s what I expected. They put forth their absolute best effort and still lost and lost badly.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember this - the Padres have more salary commitments than we do, worse salary commitments than we do,  but their actual professional General Manager was able to convince ownership this was a quality move and the right move. If JR was unwilling to commit this money, then part of the blame goes back to the general manager for failing to have the trust of ownership, or for figuring out a way to clear whatever other salary was needed to do it. 

And on top of that, ownership was ok with our unprofessional general manager presenting himself as though the team wouldn't lose the player, and thus costing ownership money directly because people will cancel tickets today. And ownership was ok with them spending $13 million on players who will now be hated by the fan base. And ownership was ok with the other $25 million in wasted spending this offseason.

Do not give the general manager a pass just because ownership is part of the problem. This general manager is a disaster. Ownership's biggest mistake is continuing to employ him.

They better hope Narvaez has already peaked, because that move will look increasingly dumb as well.

Basically, they spent $45 million on garbage in the last two months only to come up $20 million short?

That's ridiculously shortsighted.  Realistically, they never wanted to offer over $250 million for Machado, and yet they knew all along the Phillies were out there just waiting to spend $320-340 million on Bryce Harper after Machado signed.

What a colossal waste of time, energy and resources.

We said ALL ALONG THIS ENTIRE OFFSEASON that Machado would get around $300 million and Harper should be in the neighborhood of $350 million (looks like it could now end up in the middle somewhere.)

If we all can GET IT, why can't this front office?

Just feel sorry for Jay/Alonso...they're going to be bearing the brunt of it, when it should be JR/HAHN/Williams for having STILL misread this market so badly to think NOBODY out of about 20 other teams could possible see the value in signing a franchise cornerstone 3B at age 26 (even with a few warts on Machado from last year, but not performance-wise.)

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres