Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, almagest said:

Yeah. If we were out earlyish I’d be a little pissed but it’s what I expected. They put forth their absolute best effort and still lost and lost badly.

I wouldn't call it their best effort. They simply tried to wait out a lowball offer til the end. Then put lipstick on the pig by adding in unlikely incentives. Well done shitheads. 

10 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The amount of disdain in my heart for this team dependent upon this one signing shows me that I need to stop caring about the White Sox.

I think you nailed it. I was holding out hope maybe Hahn had convinced Jerry it was time to do things differently, and this signing would indicate real changes. Everything lined up for this to work.

I haven't spent much time or money on this team for a while and hoping it was time to change that. Clearly, I was wrong.

Padres=debt load of 10%, including stadium improvements they have to pay for

Hosmer and Myers already on the books

$25 million in BAD/TERRIBLE contracts sitting on the books from the 2014-15 cycle

Yet they STILL COULDN'T GET IT DONE, with EVERYTHING in their freaking favor.   PATHETIC.   If only Hahn would resign, but then we'd still have JR as owner until.....sigh.

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

When you love something, it hurts when they let you down. Make no mistake about it, they let us down and then stepped on our nuts three times. We as fans need to evaluate how we handle this organization. I stopped going to and watching Bulls games and will do the same for the Sox until further notice. I will be all in on the Brewers this year. I head up there for work during baseball season a bit, so I'll catch some games. 

We are equal now. Peace.

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I wouldn't call it their best effort. They simply tried to wait out a lowball offer til the end. Then put lipstick on the pig by adding in unlikely incentives. Well done shitheads. 

I believe they put forth their best effort. Their best effort blows. That’s why this sucks so bad

• Haha 1

No wonder we had to wait until fucking February. Why in the world would Machado accept an offer without an opt-out? Even a 5 year opt out means the signing team gets his best years! Unbelievable.

I change my mind. This was not a competitive offer. Not even close.

Just now, fathom said:

Haha, called the opt-out thing months ago. This entire organization is a damn joke.

"We don't believe in opt outs."

"Will you pay more to make it worth it for us to give one up?"

"No, you sign at a discount to play with your friends. That's the White Sox way."

1 hour ago, AustinIllini said:

So why weren't six teams trying to match the Padres with such a great deal?  Sorry, I don't buy it.  If Jerry is cheap for offering a guy $250 million and getting outbid by only one team, that's a soft market, not a cheap owner.

The Padres literally got involved at the end because the bids were so low.

1 minute ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Like I said earlier, nothing will change until ownership changes.  They're living in the 90s and trying to get the modern concept but failing miserably.  It's 2020, wake the fuck up and join the rest of the league...JR is a damn relic, and Hahn and KW are wannabes.

In the 1990s JR paid top dollar for Belle. 

Here is the real thing to think about. Unlike the Hawks when  Bill Wirtz died, a Rocky Wirtz and a new thought process isn't here to rescue us.  It will be Michael Reinsdorf as a managing partner like his father who will be more of the same.  The families are not going to sell.  This is a slush fund.  Who cares if no one shows up.  It helps with rent if that continues.  It's not like that destroys their profits.  MLB monies arrive and the checks clear for the ownership group.   A nice lockout or strike during the next CBA might piss the casual fan off, but if it protects the kitty its worth it.   

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres