Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Baron said:

Well they got a real wakeup call today and what these top free agents want in a contract. Hahn better learn this year that you need to bend to their demands or they'll wait it out until their demands are met. It's just that simple. 

Lol no they didn't. 

The only wake up call is attendance dropping back below 1.3 million, in post-strike/white flag trade territory. Their only wakeup call will be when this specific day hits their pocketbooks. 

Just now, Baron said:

Well they got a real wakeup call today and what these top free agents want in a contract. Hahn better learn this year that you need to bend to their demands or they'll wait it out until their demands are met. It's just that simple. 

Yeah, you can dictate your terms to the 2nd tier FAs, the top dogs will always have a suitor.

Btw. Having Jay and Alonso on this team is like getting left at the altar and still going on your honeymoon by yourself.

• Haha 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Lol no they didn't. 

The only wake up call is attendance dropping back below 1.3 million, in post-strike/white flag trade territory. Their only wakeup call will be when this specific day hits their pocketbooks. 

I don't know man. Hahn sounded like he was about to cry today or burst in anger. Same with Kenny. They need to reevaluate how they draft these contracts. They thought they were doing Manny a favor with that contract. 

If I were any of the young players in the organization I would remember today if the front office ever came to me to sign an extension. They will penny pinch and do everything in their power to not give in to players, all the while failing time and again to bring in quality free agents.

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Reinsdorf just refuses to play in modern day MLB.

Yeah JR is the one who needs to come out with a statement, he’s probably celebrating on how much $$ he now gets to pocket by losing out on Machado. Is it a coincidence that he employs clowns in both organizations he owns? 

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I don't know man. Hahn sounded like he was about to cry today or burst in anger. Same with Kenny. They need to reevaluate how they draft these contracts. They thought they were doing Manny a favor with that contract. 

They can pay me 200k a year to be incompetent, but sadly, I would have laughed at that contract offer. 

On 2/18/2019 at 7:03 PM, spiderman said:

Given that this is a "depressed" market and teams like the Yankees, Cubs and Dodgers are not actively involved in these free agents, it would very disapointing  if they get outbid by the Padres (in particular). The Phillies are a big market club. They are probably not going to be outbid, but to be outdone by SD would make many question (assuming the offer is close to what is being rumored) the Sox committment to landing a big fish.

They may still make a few moves as a reaction to not getting one of these two that will make the team better, but let's be honest.  Here's the perception - IF they don't land one of these, the Sox are not major players for premium free agent talent and are even more dependent on the rebuild working within the 2-3 window before it becomes too expensive for them.

I haven't heard the contract details (if they are even out there yet), but this should simply not happen if the White Sox are serious about becoming a serious player.

Is it overreacting to think that today could be the day that leads to the Sox eventually leaving town? If fans throw their hands up and attendance gets even worse. When JR passes away and the team sells, would a new owner want to stay here if they have the worst attendance in the league? Or the 2nd worst attendance?

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

How about professionals running the show!

8 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Here is the real thing to think about. Unlike the Hawks when  Bill Wirtz died, a Rocky Wirtz and a new thought process isn't here to rescue us.  It will be Michael Reinsdorf as a managing partner like his father who will be more of the same.  The families are not going to sell.  This is a slush fund.  Who cares if no one shows up.  It helps with rent if that continues.  It's not like that destroys their profits.  MLB monies arrive and the checks clear for the ownership group.   A nice lockout or strike during the next CBA might piss the casual fan off, but if it protects the kitty its worth it.   

When JR goes, his share will be sold. Michael has already said he doesnt want it. 

Sadly, I see this team becoming the Portland White Sox.

There is a huge disconnect between contracts Sox are offering and contracts expected by FA in 2019........don’t believe in opt outs good luck signing anyone worth a dam. It’s not 1985 JR, KW, RH.

Edited by Soxfest

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres