Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

Soxtalk is just special...

...the owner who offered to break every club record in spending by a huge margin is cheap.

That's just dumb.

The owner that has employed the same management team that has failed to compete in September let alone in October far more often than not for nearly two decades

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baron said:

I don't know man. Hahn sounded like he was about to cry today or burst in anger. Same with Kenny. They need to reevaluate how they draft these contracts. They thought they were doing Manny a favor with that contract. 

They have been terrible GM's for over a decade now, they will never learn

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

They get to pretend they tried hard, just like the Bulls do. 

Yeah, Jerry knows how to act like they are in it and drag the fans along for the ride. This shows why being a fan turns you into an irrational person. I would be nowhere stupid enough in any other aspect of my life to keep falling for this type of BS.

• Like 1

Can we please close this thread now? It's becoming quite the cess-pool for White Sox hatred. Yes, I know, why read then right? I am done reading, but it is very disappointing seeing how easily disgruntled and negative my fellow fans have become.  Why make comments that suggest you want JR to die so the team can be sold and get new management? Like really? He is a real person, and this is a game. 

• Haha 3

There has been so much discussion about the specifics of the numbers but little about the lack of opt out offered by the White Sox when that was likely the nail in the coffin for the White Sox hopes at landing Manny. Just like a team is worried about being locked into a lengthy contract with a player, a player is also worried about being trapped with a franchise that is going nowhere and they want out of. 

Add an opt out after year 5 to our offer and Manny probably chooses us. I don't understand why that would be against the White Sox philosophy. Who cares if he opts out after 5 years when we would have had him in his prime during the years we are hoping to be our "window".

In this organization, I think one of the things that has kept KW/Hahn employed is that they may well have been basically overruled by JR on a number of big picture decisions that put the team in bad shape, like supposedly JR insisting they not rebuilding in the early 2010s and keep trying to go for it instead.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Btw, today is #5 on my official list of things that Rick Hahn should have been fired for by any well-run organization. 

This is 100% not Rick Hahn's fault.  The only thing I fault him on is getting the fans jacked up at SoxFest and Reggie's about the possibility of Machado/Harper.  

This is all on Jerry Reinsdorf.  Dude won't dish out the money for a superstar.  He's a joke of an owner and both his teams are the laughing stock in their sports.

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

There has been so much discussion about the specifics of the numbers but little about the lack of opt out offered by the White Sox when that was likely the nail in the coffin for the White Sox hopes at landing Manny. Just like a team is worried about being locked into a lengthy contract with a player, a player is also worried about being trapped with a franchise that is going nowhere and they want out of. 

Add an opt out after year 5 to our offer and Manny probably chooses us. I don't understand why that would be against the White Sox philosophy. Who cares if he opts out after 5 years when we would have had him in his prime during the years we are hoping to be our "window".

We were $50 million below the Padres offer, with 2 option years at the end that stood a good chance of not vesting, per the most recent report. We were no where close and they should be embarrassed for all the times they said this was their priority and they would not be beaten. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

This is 100% not Rick Hahn's fault.  The only thing I fault him on is getting the fans jacked up at SoxFest and Reggie's about the possibility of Machado/Harper.  

This is all on Jerry Reinsdorf.  Dude won't dish out the money for a superstar.  He's a joke of an owner and both his teams are the laughing stock in their sports.

I said this a few pages ago:

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember this - the Padres have more salary commitments than we do, worse salary commitments than we do,  but their actual professional General Manager was able to convince ownership this was a quality move and the right move. If JR was unwilling to commit this money, then part of the blame goes back to the general manager for failing to have the trust of ownership, or for figuring out a way to clear whatever other salary was needed to do it. 

And on top of that, ownership was ok with our unprofessional general manager presenting himself as though the team wouldn't lose the player, and thus costing ownership money directly because people will cancel tickets today. And ownership was ok with them spending $13 million on players who will now be hated by the fan base. And ownership was ok with the other $25 million in wasted spending this offseason.

Do not give the general manager a pass just because ownership is part of the problem. This general manager is a disaster. Ownership's biggest mistake is continuing to employ him.

2 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Yep..... without lucking into MJ this dude would only have one championship to his name with two franchises in one of the biggest markets in the USA.....

• Like 1

Just now, GGajewski18 said:

Yeah, you're wrong.  Where was the money when Cespedes/Upton/Gordon hit the market?

You're like JR. Incompetent  

Apparently they actually had the best offer for Alex Gordon, and thankfully the Royals came close enough that Gordon decided to stay home. But the good news is - that bailed Rick Hahn out of another disastrous move. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I said this a few pages ago:

This is what I think a lot of people don't get. Ownership isn't going to want to spend any more money than they have to on the team. Part of the GM's job is to convince the owner they need to spend the money. Hahn has obviously not been able to do that above a certain level.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Can we please close this thread now? It's becoming quite the cess-pool for White Sox hatred. Yes, I know, why read then right? I am done reading, but it is very disappointing seeing how easily disgruntled and negative my fellow fans have become.  Why make comments that suggest you want JR to die so the team can be sold and get new management? Like really? He is a real person, and this is a game. 

It's thanks to more than a decade of futility, it's just the latest blow

E: justification for the negativity, not death wishes

Edited by StrangeSox

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres