Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

13 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Can we please close this thread now? It's becoming quite the cess-pool for White Sox hatred. Yes, I know, why read then right? I am done reading, but it is very disappointing seeing how easily disgruntled and negative my fellow fans have become. 

If this isn't something to be disgruntled by then what is? I am 30 years old and this is the lowest point in my White Sox fandom. I lost all faith in what little faith I had in the front office. It's one thing to lose a guy you've been after, it's another to leak a ton of details after the fact to try to save face but all those details just make you look even worse.

Edited by TomPickle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember back in the day, KW always saying "we have a plan B and C etc..." How come they never pull through with plan A? It's not JR's "cheapness" it's simply incompetence by the front office. They fumbled at the goal line and they dragged us all along for the ride. Shame on us for actually thinking this time would be different. And when I see "the money will still be spent" I don't want to hear it. Yeah the money will be spent on mid tier roster fillers, not superstars. 

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I really think they are clueless how negatively the fan base is going to be towards them.

I sincerely doubt that. I think Mr. Hahn (or a subordinate flunky) has been/is/will soon be lurking through these very pages. I doubt that any of this is really lost on him.

Edited by skooch

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

If this isn't something to be disgruntled by then what is? I am 30 years old and this is the lowest point in my White Sox fandom. I lost all faith what little faith I had in the front office. It's one thing to lose a guy you've been after, it's another to leak a ton of details after the fact to try to save face but all those details just make you look even worse.

You're right, they probably shouldn't have reacted so quickly. However, they were not even supposed to be in this conversation this offseason in the first place, this early in the rebuild, by ALL counts.  I think we can use this as a tool to see that they are SERIOUS about getting high impact guys. Yeah, maybe they should've done this or that. Hopefully they use this conversion failure as a lesson on how to act on future negotiations with these types of players.

• Haha 1

Very disappointed, like most of you.

For me, all of the stars were in alignment here -- 26 year old superstar; position of need; no adults' table, just the kid's table; incredibly low payroll for the forseeable future; loads of young talent on the horizon -- but sometimes you simply need to win. Not be the voice of reason (1990s reason). Not go down in flames being so afraid of bidding against yourself.

I had no problem with slow walking the market in order to keep your winning bid "reasonable enough." Lots of reasons to suspect they had a chance to match. Likely all they had to do was match because of the personal factors that likely had MM leaning towards Chicago (I understand -- lots of "likelies," but those likelies seem, well, likely).

Where I was disappointed -- again -- is this dogmatic refusal to drop the plan at the 11th hour, take consolation that you didn't let things get out of hand, and win. No matter what, win. Team needs it. Fans need and deserve it. Go beyond your carefully constructed projections over the next 8-10 years. For once, win. Win.

Sox had to get one of these guys. Maybe I leaned Machado like many of you, but Harper will work too. Won't hold a grudge on this eminently winnable negotiation IF they buck up and get Harper. Unfortunately, there is not one damned reason to suspect that anything will be different this time.

Edited by CyAcosta41
  • Love 2

Honest question. With the Sox having missed out on Machado after trading for his brother in law and signing his best friend - two moves that just look horrible now - is this organization the biggest laughing stock in baseball? I think it has to be. What player would ever want to come play for this team? We’re not a desirable location, and were the second team in our city. Plus, aside from the Padres, what team has been worse than the Sox over the past two decades in terms of competitiveness? I can’t think of anyone. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scoots said:

You're right, they probably shouldn't have reacted so quickly. However, they were not even supposed to be in this conversation this offseason in the first place, this early in the rebuild, by ALL counts.  I think we can use this as a tool to see that they are SERIOUS about getting high impact guys. Yeah, maybe they should've done this or that. Hopefully they use this conversion failure as a lesson on how to act on future negotiations with these types of players.

If they learn one thing I hope it's to keep their mouths shut if they don't plan on actually ponying up when the contract offers hit market rate.

um...it seems clear that they are serious about not paying high impact players what they believe they are worth. That’s the kick in the nuts of this whole thing. It seems to be broader than Machado. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We were $50 million below the Padres offer, with 2 option years at the end that stood a good chance of not vesting, per the most recent report. We were no where close and they should be embarrassed for all the times they said this was their priority and they would not be beaten. 

I believe an opt out after 5 years with the White Sox would nullify that because he would make more through those 5 years with the Sox and then could opt out for another contract at age 30-31 and likely end up making more than the 300m guarantee by the Padres. No star player wants to be trapped with a team for 8-10 years without a player opt out. If the White Sox were never offering an opt out for Manny they never had a chance. 

2 minutes ago, CyAcosta41 said:

Very disappointed, like most of you.

Sox had to get one of these guys. Maybe I leaned Machado like many of you, but Harper will work too. Won't hold a grudge on this eminently winnable negotiation IF they buck up and get Harper. Unfortunately, there is not one damned reason to suspect that anything will be different this time.

They should have gotten both.

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

"how to act on future negotiations". Too late! They screwed up the Machado deal!

There were 2 reasons to sell off at the end of 2016.

1. The White Sox's roster structure was about to collapse, with Cabrera, Frazier, and others 1 year or less away from free agency. Just treading water with their 75 win team was going to require spending progressively more money, and they had no obvious path to getting better.

2. By selling off in 2016 and cutting their payroll, they put themselves in position to play the 2018 Free Agent market, which people could see at the time was going to be something absolutely unique, with top flight guys hitting free agency at unusually young ages, making their contracts exceptionally valuable.

Case #2 does not come around again. There is no time on the horizon where we will see this again - guys of this caliber hitting free agency at this age. 

This is passing on Drew Brees as a free agent to sign Daunte Culpepper. No comparable free agent quarterback has hit the market in the NFL since. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Scoots said:

When is the next time a 26 year old generational talent is available via free agency? I'm not buying the whole "were serious about getting high impact guys, spending money" narrative. Until they actually convert, I don't trust them to bring in those "High impact" guys. They squandered this opportunity by losing to another mid-market franchise. Not acceptable. No i am not encouraged. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

Honest question. With the Sox having missed out on Machado after trading for his brother in law and signing his best friend - two moves that just look horrible now - is this organization the biggest laughing stock in baseball? I think it has to be. What player would ever want to come play for this team? We’re not a desirable location, and were the second team in our city. Plus, aside from the Padres, what team has been worse than the Sox over the past two decades in terms of competitiveness? I can’t think of anyone. 

Without a doubt after today they are the biggest laughingstock not just in baseball, but in all of sports

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Special K said:

No. Because they have a pile of talent and play in a crappy division. If guys start living up to expectations, this is a well positioned organization. 

• Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres