Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

12 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

It's thanks to more than a decade of futility, it's just the latest blow

E: justification for the negativity, not death wishes

Wishing death is wrong. Feeling like you need to step away until Jerry leaves the picture one way or another is another thing entirely

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Apparently they actually had the best offer for Alex Gordon, and thankfully the Royals came close enough that Gordon decided to stay home. But the good news is - that bailed Rick Hahn out of another disastrous move. 

And that is another example of why this FO has no business chasing 2nd tier FAs.  They are really bad at the evaluation part of it.   Slam-dunks only.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

I signed a client today which has the chance to alter my families life for decades... and yet, because of this failure... 

My soul is crushed.

Now I shal go coach 11 year olds in little league on a field where James Shieds used to get owned by me.

1 minute ago, GreatScott82 said:

When is the next time a 26 year old generational talent is available via free agency? I'm not buying the whole "were serious about getting high impact guys, spending money" narrative. Until they actually convert, I don't trust them to bring in those "High impact" guys. They squandered this opportunity by losing to another mid-market franchise. Not acceptable. No i am not encouraged. 

Well, there is still one out there now. Of course there is about a zero percent chance he signs with the White Sox.

7 minutes ago, Scoots said:

You're right, they probably shouldn't have reacted so quickly. However, they were not even supposed to be in this conversation this offseason in the first place, this early in the rebuild, by ALL counts.  I think we can use this as a tool to see that they are SERIOUS about getting high impact guys. Yeah, maybe they should've done this or that. Hopefully they use this conversion failure as a lesson on how to act on future negotiations with these types of players.

To me, this shows they were not serious about getting high impact players. Machado signed on the lowend of what everyone expected when this off-season began.

And what future negotiations are you talking about? 26 year old Superstar free agents don't exactly grow on trees. This was the chance and they blew it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, G&T said:

No. Because they have a pile of talent and play in a crappy division. If guys start living up to expectations, this is a well positioned organization. 

I have absolutely no faith guys will live up to expectations. Aside from bombing miserably in the FA market, this FO has an unusual knack for drafting terribly and being unable to develop players. 

Even the Sale trade - one of the most valuable assets in all of baseball over the last 10 years given talent and contract - is looking like a bomb. Kopech did get hurt, but Moncada hasn’t shown me anything. There’s a reason Boston let him go. Most FOs outfox our FO. 

• Thanks 1

Corey Seager will hit free agency at age 27 in 3 years, I guess that's something, that'll happen just as the lockout starts so lucky him. In 2026, Vlad Guerrero Jr. will be available right around the time he turns 27. I guess those are the next guys who will hit FA at about this age. 

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

I don't think this rebuild will work out the way we all envisioned it would if this is how the front office will operate. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just being honest. 

Credit to 2k5 then - he said it wouldn't work because the FO couldn't do it, and we'd have been better off continuing with the 2016 roster and at least getting into the 70s in wins for another year or two. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Corey Seager will hit free agency at age 27 in 3 years, I guess that's something, that'll happen just as the lockout starts so lucky him. In 2026, Vlad Guerrero Jr. will be available right around the time he turns 27. I guess those are the next guys who will hit FA at about this age. 

Yes - they blew an opportunity of a lifetime. For rebuilds to work, you need to develop players just right and add the right FA talent. This was the perfect FA talent for a position that’s been an absolute black hole for the past decade.  Not to mention a premier middle order of the bat. What a shame.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No way according to KWs 10 year timeline that may impact signing players we have no idea if they are good.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I don't think this rebuild will work out the way we all envisioned it would if this is how the front office will operate. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just being honest. 

I agree with your honesty, we cant draft and we can't sign good free agents

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

To me, this shows they were not serious about getting high impact players. Machado signed on the lowend of what everyone expected when this off-season began.

And what future negotiations are you talking about? 26 year old Superstar free agents don't exactly grow on trees. This was the chance and they blew it.

Honestly, i dont care who you are, no one is worth a 10 year 300 million dollar contract. I get it, hes 26 years old. Talent level through the roof. Say he blows out his knees and isnt the same player for the next 5 years. That contract looks real dumb. Risk is too big for me.

And Look at who signed him. A team that is reportedly in debt already and shouldnt really be able to afford these kinds of deals. Sounds like someone in the Padres FO is incompetent at managing finances, which is mindblowing because who have they had in recent years that would even justify them being in debt at all?

Edited by Scoots

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

I agree. It seemed like things were changing when they got Robert. They still don't have a grasp on how to run this franchise. How fitting Guaranteed Rate and their shit logo is on the side of the ballpark.

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Honestly, i dont care who you are, no one is worth a 10 year 300 million dollar contract. I get it, hes 26 years old. Say he blows out his knees and isnt the same player for the next 5 years. That contract looks real dumb. Risk is too big for me.

And Look at who signed him. A team that is reportedly in debt already and shouldnt really be able to afford these kinds of deals. Sounds like someone in the Padres FO is incompetent at managing finances, which is mindblowing because who have they had in recent years that would even justify them being in debt at all?

Ok Rick. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Honestly, i dont care who you are, no one is worth a 10 year 300 million dollar contract. I get it, hes 26 years old. Talent level through the roof. Say he blows out his knees and isnt the same player for the next 5 years. That contract looks real dumb. Risk is too big for me.

Yes it's risky. That's the game of baseball. The Cubs took that risk when they signed Jon Lester. The Astros took that risk when they traded for Verlander. The Sox...they're keeping Jerry's bank account healthy I guess.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Without a doubt after today they are the biggest laughingstock not just in baseball, but in all of sports

We were #6 on the latest ESPN Sports Misery Index that encompasses all 4 leagues.

Missing on Harper, that should be good to move us up to 3-5 territory.The Mariners are the only baseball team (now that the Padres have passed us psychologically) that could even be considered in the running for futility with the White Sox, but they're still a generally more successful franchise in recent years and ACTUALLY tried to go for it with Cano and Cruz, it was just too late because of Felix Hernandez wearing down and the young pitchers couldn't stay healthy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Dude, JR is swimming in cash and Sox have almost no payroll obligations come next year. Machado would have accelerated this rebuild and there’s no way to deny it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I never got a response to my previous question about whether the White Sox offer to Manny including any opt outs. If not then that was likely a major reason for him choosing the Padres with the 5th year opt out.

They did not offer opt out, and now Levine reporting Sox do not belive in such.

10 minutes ago, Scoots said:

See all their terrible acquisitions in the 2014-15 cycle (of course, including Big Game James Shields)...

They still are PAYING $24.5 million to other teams THIS year for those players NOT to play on the Padres.

They still are paying another 5% on field/stadium improvements, monies the White Sox don't have to allocate because JR signed such a sweetheart deal with the Illinois Sports Stadium Authority or whatever that entity's called.

5 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

They did not offer opt out, and now Levine reporting Sox do not belive in such.

And the Padres opt-out isn’t until 5 years into the deal?  Wow...  so even with that opt-out, you have Machado for 5 years within your expected window of competition AND he may leave for another team at age 31 and get the rest of his big money and declining years of production from another team?

The opt-out at 5 years in could have been a blessing in disguise for the Sox.  Man, the Sox are a dumb organization.

Edited by Machado2Sox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Dude, JR is swimming in cash and Sox have almost no payroll obligations come next year. Machado would have accelerated this rebuild and there’s no way to deny it.

Not denying he would accelerate the rebuild. What i am saying is he is not worth that kind of money. How the hell do we know what kind of money they have? Yeah, the payroll is very low right now. They can definitely afford him now. Maybe they are projecting out what they should expect to spend in the future  to complete this team via trades and free agency and taking on other big contracts, and commiting that much money to one guy would hinder that.  As much of a superstar and generational talent as he might be, this game is not just about one player. See, Angels with Trout, Nats with Harper, Orioles with Manny, W Sox with Sale, plenty of others. Im sure that shit adds up quick. Even top money team, cough Cubs cough, are coming out and saying they cant afford these guys and they have no money left. Let's see who else the Sox sign and trade for as this rebuild continues and grows deeper. 

Edited by Scoots

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres