Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Where are our 5 (more) Luis Roberts?

Because if you're going to go the development route, you can't put all your eggs in just a few baskets (the Quintana trade, Luis Robert and counting on high draft picks, but not ever drafting #1/2)...

You have to build up so much depth that some of them simply HAVE to make it, like the Padres seemingly have done blowing through all their budgets in a couple of free agent cycles there.  

Do we have a surefire 3+ fWAR outfielder out of those six, once you get past Eloy Jimenez (who's more ideally suited for DH)?

I would imagine every White Sox fan (about right now) would take ONE guaranteed success in Machado (well, nothing's 100% guaranteed) than believe in this front office's ability to identify and develop young players from the ages of 16-18 into their early 20's.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol. Preller, as well as every other team in baseball could have signed tatis - that's how little he got. He hadn't played a single pro game and the Sox traded him. Come on with the preller knew nonsense. He took a flyer and hit a grand slam

I think he does have a pretty strong reputation of really knowing and understanding the LatAm prospects.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That was based on a report from one particular "insider", and that person insisted up and down, over and over, again and again, that we should not panic, that the White Sox would get this done, and even that the White Sox liked signing guys on Wednesdays.

Basically, every insider was hearing the message that the franchise put out, including that line, the franchise is a bunch of inept fools, and the insiders were passing along the confidence of a bunch of inept fools. 

Honestly, I think the Sox very much thought they had him.  I don't blame the insiders here much, Sox are so out of touch with the current market or reality though.

I hate to say it but I hope Sox park stays empty next season.  I already live out of state so it doesn't matter to me where I travel to see the Sox, but if I had a choice make it Vegas.

I hope the: Is he signing with the Raiders line sticks with Hahn as much as Development isn't linear or If I had my druthers.

Edited by justBLAZE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I think he does have a pretty strong reputation of really knowing and understanding the LatAm prospects.  

I understand that but tatis had shown nothing different from the time he signed - as like the 30th ranked Latin prospect - and that trade. It's not like preller saw something hidden. He could have just signed him then. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is what Preller does.

It's called investing all your resources in scouting and development, just like he did with the Rangers.

It was NO coincidence.

Compare the Rangers' record of success in this area over the last 15-20 years to what we've seen from the White Sox.  It's just embarrassing, and we can't keep blaming something unfortunate (but classic White Sox comedy of errors) that happened nearly a decade ago for the current levels of incompetence/ineptitude.

How can the Padres have so many Latin American prospects that they signed and developed (and not traded for) when they should have no clear advantage over a large or at least medium-market club like the White Sox?

When's the last time we got a pitcher or position player out of Japan or Korea?

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

It's called investing all your resources in scouting and development, just like he did with the Rangers.

It was NO coincidence.

Compare the Rangers' record of success in this area over the last 15-20 years to what we've seen from the White Sox.  It's just embarrassing, and we can't keep blaming something unfortunate (but classic White Sox comedy of errors) that happened nearly a decade ago for the current levels of incompetence/ineptitude.

How can the Padres have so many Latin American prospects that they signed and developed (and not traded for) when they should have no clear advantage over a large or at least medium-market club like the White Sox?

When's the last time we got a pitcher or position player out of Japan or Korea?

Preller wasnt the GM in Texas.

What big success stories does he have in San Diego? This is his 5th year now. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not, but he was Assistant GM and in charge of Latin America/Scouting.

The Chicago White Sox had an eight-year offer worth a guaranteed $240 million and enough incentives to get Machado up to $300 million.

"We only feel short by $60 million," a White Sox official quipped.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He stumbled in the 2014-15 cycle, won back the confidence of management and regrouped.  Bottom line, he was able to convince a debt-laden ownership group to go after a legit, comes around as an opportunity once every 5-10 years superstar (where the stars perfectly aligned for the White Sox to strike), something our own GM failed to do, yet again.

He has the consensus best farm system in ALL OF BASEBALL.

Whereas Keith Law now has the White Sox as, what, 13th?  And that's still including Michael Kopech on the lists, in a technicality.

What success stories does Rick Hahn?    I guess the best example is a catcher we thought so much of we traded four years of control away for a forgettable and overpaid (and superfluous without Machado) reliever who will probably return us yet another forgettable bevy of minor league prospects that will never even see the light of day.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And yet, his final contract came in pretty much right in the range people would have guessed at the start of the offseason. Maybe at the lower end, but the Yankees also weren't involved. 

No need to take anything from the fact that the White Sox wouldn't go that high. They're clowns. 

Over/under on how many times Balta has called the Sox FO clowns today is 7.5 .

It would be interesting to track season ticket movement (assuming they don't sign Harper, lol) from this day forward...how many season ticket renewals we lose after this upcoming season if the Sox continue to flounder and can't come close to competing with the depleted but resilient Indians.

We'll be back at that magic 1.3 million in attendance mark where it actually starts hurting ownership (but not nearly as much as before the advent of MLB ADV MEDIA).

Edited by caulfield12

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He stumbled in the 2014-15 cycle, won back the confidence of management and regrouped. 

Yes Preller mitigated his bad 2014-5 moves a lot more productively than Hahn mitigated his bad moves from 2014-16... Preller received, obviously, a big assist from Hahn.

Edited by GreenSox

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You're WAY WAY WAY under on that one...remember, it was just a year ago we had the franchise set up to completely dominate for the upcoming decade. 

How things have changed in one year.

Everything that could go wrong, has for the most part. The best laid plans of mice and men.......

Regardless of whether it was bad luck, poor scouting and player development, or both, there is no end in sight to the losing. This is and pretty much always has been a loser franchise. One can only hope new ownership can make it a phoenix similar to the Blackhawks, should they remain in Chicago. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

Residing in Southern California with zero desire to root dodgers or halos... I’m seriously consider becoming a Padres fan until further notice.

Same as me except for the Padres part. I am not remotely interested in rooting for any other team, Sox for life for better or worse....unlike our ex-wives .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is and pretty much always has been a loser franchise. 

Actually you are wrong. In those "mediocre" years that I'm supposed to be ashamed at myself for wanting (in my way of building a team, not by tanking) we won a lot of games in a lot of consecutive years. The Sox only during this current stretch have really been pathetic. Not since the Bill Melton 70s have we been this bad. But during my "mediocre" years, we won a lotta games with Robin, Hurt, Ozzeroo, Buehrle, Paulie, Dye, et. all.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Same as me except for the Padres part. I am not remotely interested in rooting for any other team, Sx for life for better or worse....unlike our ex-wives .

It's easier to root for NL teams, at least they're not directly competing with the Sox...at least not very often.

The Cardinals were always my NL team, but I'm going to have to decide between the Brewers (well, basically anyone who can get the best of the Cubs) and the Padres now for the NL.

It's going to be surreal if the Padres' rebuild works like a charm...and the White Sox continue to fall flat, after watching what we have witnessed this past decade with the Cubs and Astros, even the Royals.

The Padres STILL have a long ways to go to surpass the Dodgers, obviously...but at least there's an underdog to cheer for, I suppose (especially with Puig gone, haha).

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres