Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is easy money .

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

Each time is correct

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You're WAY WAY WAY under on that one...remember, it was just a year ago we had the franchise set up to completely dominate for the upcoming decade. 

How things have changed in one year.

I didn't actually count how many times he said it but I had to SMH and chuckle knowingly every time.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Residing in Southern California with zero desire to root dodgers or halos... I’m seriously consider becoming a Padres fan until further notice.

A wise man once said

b64f8b0dedb9f2e04dcdab1eed47a99e68697d36

You can start rooting for the Padres, but deep down you'll know that you're lying to yourself.

Les+simpson+do+it+for+her+episode+video+

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Actually you are wrong. In those "mediocre" years that I'm supposed to be ashamed at myself for wanting (in my way of building a team, not by tanking) we won a lot of games in a lot of consecutive years. The Sox only during this current stretch have really been pathetic. Not since the Bill Melton 70s have we been this bad. But during my "mediocre" years, we won a lotta games with Robin, Hurt, Ozzeroo, Buehrle, Paulie, Dye, et. all.

Late 80's and late 90's (after Belle/Ventura left) were also bad....but not six consecutive years of really bad or outright boring, I guess we had the first five weeks of the 2016 season, before the ill-fated Tatis/Shields trade that currently symbolizes the low point for this franchise in terms of futility.

Of course, the late 80's, we had a string of draft picks that hit, McDowell, Ventura, Frank Thomas, Alex Fernandez, etc.  You knew that team was on the way to becoming a monster, but then we got hit by the baseball strike in 1994 (largely due to JR, so always self-inflicted wounds).

Just now, Ben Waffleson said:

Not gonna lie. Im not so angry anymore. Shit I know we are willing to pay a player 30mm plus aav atleast. thats positive. 

Maybe we got lucky here...

They have the money to and young talent. The problem is they are incompetent and don't understand how to negotiate. Their plan was wack. 

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Nothing would make me happier now than for Machado to turn into Pablo Sandoval 2.0

Why ? He did what free agents do . He took the most money. I hope he does great and makes the Sox regret their stupidity, arrogance, short-sightedness,  buffoonery ,ineffectualness, smallness and irrelevance even more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I really thought I'd feel better by the evening but it gets worse. 

To top it off, Iowa BB of course had to return to earth after two miracle victories...you know as a fan of either Iowa sports or the Chicago White Sox, you're doomed to not expect too much, like national championships or playoff appearances.

I wish it was so easy to transfer allegiances...one of my best friends from HS (went to NW, Iowa Dental School), his two kids went from Portland all the way to the Univ. of Alabama (his wife's from ATL), every year he gets to cheer for a national championship team (didn't quite turn out that way this year).

Whereas with either Iowa or the White Sox, you know you're pretty much doomed to mediocrity from the very beginning...not to expect too much.  One Sweet 16 would be AMAZING.  The last was 1998!!  Iowa football was mercifully denied a spot in the Final 4 that went to MSU.  For the White Sox, of course we had 2005, and most fans probably felt in their heart of hearts that that would never even happen.

My two uncles on my mother's side were Cubs and White Sox fans...one drank Coors/smoked and was a die-hard union (worked for Dubuque Packing) guy, the other drank Budweiser, so of course you can imagine which one became my favorite team.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, I'm easily more frustrated about the incompetence of this organization instead of them not actually having Manny.

Yep thats the problem here for me.  At the end of the day we now know without a doubt that this franchise is a joke and the only chance they EVER have/had to succeed it just by luckily catching lightning in a bottle every now and then. 

Can't draft, can't scout, can't develop, can't sign anyone.  There is no chance for sustained success under this ownership/FO

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why ? He did what free agents do . He took the most money. I hope he does great and makes the Sox regret their stupidity, arrogance, short-sightedness,  buffoonery ,ineffectualness, smallness and irrelevance even more.

I wish my Chinese students would get so upset about something (besides the latest computer games) that they could develop an array of adjectives beyond "fine/okay/so-so" in describing their feelings about something, lol.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Arrogance is the key word here. They offered two versting options, two 'prove-it' options. You know which kind of player you offer these kind of options? Yonder Alonso, not Manny fucking Machado.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

To top it off, Iowa BB of course had to return to earth after two miracle victories...you know as a fan of either Iowa sports or the Chicago White Sox, you're doomed to not expect too much, like national championships or playoff appearances.

I wish it was so easy to transfer allegiances...one of my best friends from HS (went to NW, Iowa Dental School), his two kids went from Portland all the way to the Univ. of Alabama (his wife's from ATL), every year he gets to cheer for a national championship team (didn't quite turn out that way this year).

Whereas with either Iowa or the White Sox, you know you're pretty much doomed to mediocrity from the very beginning...not to expect too much.  We had 2005, and most fans thought that would never even happen.

My two uncles on my mother's side were Cubs and White Sox fans...one drank Coors/smoked and was a die-hard union (worked for Dubuque Packing) guy, the other drank Budweiser, so of course you can imagine which one became my favorite team.

This is why I said that extra cash would have been worth it for this org. Fans took a big hit today. We now have to make life decisions about this product. They are no longer a team, but a product. 

8 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

Yep thats the problem here for me.  At the end of the day we now know without a doubt that this franchise is a joke and the only chance they EVER have/had to succeed it just by luckily catching lightning in a bottle every now and then. 

Can't draft, can't scout, can't develop, can't sign anyone.  There is no chance for sustained success under this ownership/FO

We've definitely passed the Cleveland Browns in ineptitude.

We're #5, moved up 1 from #6.   Only four more spots to go to advance to #1.  

That's a major accomplishment with four professional sports leagues.  Even more amazing is that KW and Hahn have survived it all, just like GarPAX.  See an emerging trend there?  

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

Yep, there's literally not one thing you can point to now and say "they do this aspect well".  Even the "magic" of Cooper seems like ancient history.

9 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Arrogance is the key word here. They offered two versting options, two 'prove-it' options. You know which kind of player you offer these kind of options? Yonder Alonso, not Manny fucking Machado.

Or let's conjure up an image of poor Brooks Boyer for just a moment, lol....poor guy, it must be like that movie 28 DAYS LATER after the news broke today.  Can't imagine trying to drum up support for White Sox ticket sales on a day like today.  I'd just be saying, "Well sir, it's completely understandable and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to wait things out before jumping back on board and buying a partial season ticket plan."

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I wish my Chinese students would get so upset about something (besides the latest computer games) that they could develop an array of adjectives beyond "fine/okay/so-so" in describing their feelings about something, lol.

i'M ACTUALLY NOT UPSET AT ALL ! Seriously I'm not. This is the dispassionate reality of the situation and has been for a while. Once in a while we get thrown a bone and we all salivate thinking things have changed but we never get thrown continuance bones. Sustained success ? Please right now all the talk is just blah blah ,blah blah blah,blah, blah blah blah.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres