Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Cuban was on a Freakonomics podcast episode a little while ago and said he wasn't going to buy a baseball team. Here is the quote from the podcast:

DUBNER: When are you finally going to buy a Major League Baseball team?

CUBAN: Never.

DUBNER: What happened?

CUBAN: Never. Oh, well two things happened. One, they didn’t want me in. And two I had — my kids got older and they’re too much fun. 162 games, my wife would divorce me.

DUBNER: Why didn’t baseball want you in?

CUBAN: Because they knew I’d try to change things. I just did an interview with C.C. Sabathia and he was like “What would you do differently?” One I would teach all our guys to bat flip, every time they hit a home run, because you got to just change things up. These unwritten rules are ridiculous and the fans pay the bills, you gotta give them a reason to come. Two, I’d push for the designated hitter in both leagues so that pitchers in between innings can go right to the bullpen and warm up or do whatever they needed to. And that way when you come back on the field, you don’t throw any warmup pitches, you go right into pitching and there’s no throwing the ball around the infield and the outfield. You just go right in. The breaks aren’t the breaks, and you go right up to bat and you reduce an hour off the game.

DUBNER: It is pretty weird. It would be like in the N.B.A. between every dead ball there’s like lay up practice again.

CUBAN: Yeah, exactly you get to get shots up and everything to get your rhythm. And so there’s so many ways you can speed up the game. And I would have been pushing for them and talking about them and they didn’t want to see that.

12 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

What an absolutely horrific take.

Most of their new podcast was fluff regarding what happened, although guff did fight back on KWs "gotta keep in mind future payroll" comment or w.e. the fuck that was.  Guff did say you can't factor that in now and shouldn't be saying it, on of the few things I agreed with on that podcast.

While this is going to sound like sour grapes, Manny is hardly a generational talent. He’s a superlative defender but rather ordinary offensively away from Camden Yards. 

Machado:  7 years

69 hrs,  .271ave.  104 wRc+. 762OPS

as compared to Yonder Alonzo, away:

43 hrs,  .274ave.  106 wRc+  .756 OPS

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Done. Live long and prosper. 

Excellent.  Thank you!

Okay, let’s get this done.

Bryce — Manny may not have been given the option to play SS with the Sox but you sir can play either CF or RF.  Take our money, please!

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Baker said:

While this is going to sound like sour grapes, Manny is hardly a generational talent. He’s a superlative defender but rather ordinary offensively away from Camden Yards. 

Machado:  7 years

69 hrs,  .271ave.  104 wRc+. 762OPS

as compared to Yonder Alonzo, away:

43 hrs,  .274ave.  106 wRc+  .756 OPS

When you include "7 years" you are literally including his age 19-20 seasons. 

15 minutes ago, Sockin said:

The CSN guys are out in full on "Oh well, they tried! We still have the prospects though!" mode. Probably being driven by the team.

NBC Sports Chicago as a whole has been total garbage over the past year or so (probably a little less). The whole "My Teams" app has completely shattered their way of reporting and now everything is clickbait/overly positive. I feel bad for Chuck Garfein, I have a feeling he doesn't like the new format but doesn't have much of a choice but to use it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

NBC Sports Chicago as a whole has been total garbage over the past year or so (probably a little less). The whole "My Teams" app has completely shattered their way of reporting and now everything is clickbait/overly positive. I feel bad for Chuck Garfein, I have a feeling he doesn't like the new format but doesn't have much of a choice but to use it. 

I wish that Bernstein or McNeil would have gone on a massive rant tearing the FO a new asshole. They sure deserved a public caning today.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Chuck is literally the only positive 

For anyone guessing at who the next owner might be, a good place to start would be with Andrew Berlin. He was, and possibly still is, a minority owner of the Sox while also being a minority owner of the Cubs as well as the owner of the South Bend Cubs. While he is a Cubs owner, he is apparently an avid White Sox fan. Here is a quote from this article: 

Just outside the elevator, a Chicago White Sox logo greets all lobby visitors to the corporate office of the nearly $800 million container and closure company. To the right: a glass-encased American flag mural made of 260 baseballs, with one in the lower right corner signed by former Sox outfielder and 1983 Rookie of the Year Ron Kittle.

Turn a couple of corners and there’s a framed Jermaine Dye White Sox jersey just before you reach Mr. Berlin’s personal office — a workspace engulfed in Sox memorabilia, including a bench made of baseball bats, also a gift from Mr. Kittle.

You can’t blame the 54-year-old limited partner of the White Sox franchise for his passion. But he now has a big stake on the north side of town, too.

So he has an interest in baseball, is a Sox fan, is already part of the ownership group, and if he were willing to sell his other stakes he would likely have enough money to have majority control.

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

For anyone guessing at who the next owner might be, a good place to start would be with Andrew Berlin. He was, and possibly still is, a minority owner of the Sox while also being a minority owner of the Cubs as well as the owner of the South Bend Cubs. While he is a Cubs owner, he is apparently an avid White Sox fan. Here is a quote from this article: 

So he has an interest in baseball, is a Sox fan, is already part of the ownership group, and if he were willing to sell his other stakes he would likely have enough money to have majority control.

Didn't he say a few years ago that he's now a Cubs fan because they're good?

Back to being a fan again.....

I hate Jerry Reinsdorf, the fact that we lost out to the Padres, the damn Padres of all teams is an embarrassment. I really hope Jerry, KW, and Rick make a nervous move and just offer the moon to Harper but they won’t because the prospects... they need money down the road for the prospects... I hope Scott Boras shows Sox Twitter and shit even this forum to Jerry. Competitive offer my ass, you guys BLEW IT. 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Didn't he say a few years ago that he's now a Cubs fan because they're good?

He also owns a Cubs minor league farm system in South Bend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewcave/2016/10/30/why-i-sold-the-white-sox-and-bought-the-chicago-cubs/#70eefe42274e

Edited by Harper2Sox