Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

To me, this shows they were not serious about getting high impact players. Machado signed on the lowend of what everyone expected when this off-season began.

And what future negotiations are you talking about? 26 year old Superstar free agents don't exactly grow on trees. This was the chance and they blew it.

Yea imagine putting future incentive clauses in a 29 or 30 year (Arenado, Rendon etc ) old FA's contract. You either are serious about getting and paying for the best or you are not. What you don't do is dick around with those incentive clauses knowing full well they are not in the players best interest to accept those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Yeah, I said he owns the South Bend Cubs. But that article is the one thing confusing me about whether or not he sold his shares in the Sox. If he did, then I think he is out and likely won't come back. If he is still a minority owner of the Sox like other articles said then I think there is a good chance he takes over. I guess there is also the question of his fanhood. That article said he was a Cubs fan since he was a kid but the one I posted seem to say otherwise. So I wonder if the one I posted assumed he was a fan based on the memorabilia which could have just been because he was also an owner. If that is the case then again its unlikely he is next.

However, all of that said, he is basically the only name of note right now. The owners don't want Cuban and he said he doesn't want baseball anymore. As for other billionaires, we could only be guessing. Maybe Ed DeBartolo wants a second chance at getting the team. There was talk his family would pick up the Ravens when they were for sale, so maybe they have interest in another sports franchise. Beyond that, I don't really know who wants to own a baseball team and also has the money.

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

Is it overreacting to think that today could be the day that leads to the Sox eventually leaving town? If fans throw their hands up and attendance gets even worse. When JR passes away and the team sells, would a new owner want to stay here if they have the worst attendance in the league? Or the 2nd worst attendance?

I was thinking the same but I decided it is an overreaction, I mean it COULD be if the rebuild fails but they still have a lot of talent in the organization . Now more than ever you have to try for whales again but we have 2019 to see how Eloy Cease Dunning and all the young OFer's. relievers  and catchers do.

• Like 1

I've been trying to think of a day I've been more disappointed to be a White Sox fan. Probably recency bias, but I can't think of any. Today has some pretty ugly long term implications that really leave me feeling hollow.

"Well we tried to sign him but someone else made a better offer." Oh! Well, you tried! I can't figure out if they were dumb or delusional. To do everything they did, say everything they said, acquire 2 subpar players to recruit the dude, and then not have the wherewithal to have the highest offer (in a market where the highest offer was the player's estimated fair value in the end). I'm speechless. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Finally saw the video of Hahn's comments.  Holy cow, he looked like his dog died.

Well, freaking nut up and pay Harper what he’s worth.  Hahn talked about having no monetary limits one moment and now seems to be channeling Kenny’s “you can’t spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents” quote.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Has ChicagoWhiteSox ( the poster who was the most positive about signing Manny) said anything yet since the announcement of the Padres getting Manny ? I've read through a lot of posts and haven't seen anything from him. I'm seriously worried about him.

He's moving to Nashville. 

• Haha 1

I know it's a Longshot after today, but what are the chances the plan all along was to sign both and if one didn't bite on the smaller offer they'd go all I on the other? Even if they did sign both at smaller than market deals it would have been 500mm. Rabbit seems to think they thought signing both was possible. If they were willing to spend 500mm on two why not 350 mm on 1?

Edited by Kiebs13

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

It seems really obvious to me now after reading up more that the Sox thought Lozano was bluffing about having 300 million on the table.  That's the only way they could have been so shocked this morning.  

I mean, this is the only thing that makes any damn sense, but still shame on them. 

If we really have an organizational philosophy of no opt outs we have handicapped ourselves permanently with any premium free agents we hope to finish close to signing in the future as well. It’s the price of business anymore, and it would have been a shocker if Manny signed any deal without an opt out. 

Of course we could have guaranteed another $35+ million as well that we now have going to guys like Yonder, Jay, Herrera, Colome and Nova on a team struggling to win 69 games. I honestly feel bad for those first two and the scorn they will face. 

You build an an entire offseason to acquire one target. It’s simply a failure not to convert. And my dumb ass will still watch this team but if there’s not serious improvement this year, and there’s actual signs that we know what we are doing as an organization, there needs to be wholesale change. 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wow, haven't seen this quote yet:

"I've never been so (ticked) off in my (expletive) life," vice president Kenny Williams said.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20190219/white-sox-angry-disappointed-after-machado-decides-to-sign-with-padres

Kenny has a history of being outbid and then of course confused on what just happened.  Outside of Fukodome, we are a team with a limited budget and a limited appetite for spending.  From our pitchers, don't get x years to now 10 years and early opt-outs are bad.

http://umpbump.com/press/2007/12/12/after-failing-to-land-the-big-fish-kenny-williams-has-to-keep-things-in-context-wait-uhm-that-doesnt-help/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

I know it's a Longshot after today, but what are the chances the plan all along was to sign both and if one didn't bite on the smaller offer they'd go all I on the other? Even if they did sign both at smaller than market deals it would have been 500mm. Rabbit seems to think they thought signing both was possible. If they were willing to spend 500mm on two why not 350 mm on 1?

Because at the end of the day the Sox just don’t want to spend the type of money it takes to get a deal done with a superstar.  The rest is just becoming more and more lip service for the fans.  It’s embarrassing.  These are two potential Hall of Famers.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh there you are. I 've brought up that diminished skills clause a couple of times already. Nice bag and glad you're ok .

I just spent three hours working my way through this thread in my hotel room in Nashville.  Luckily alcohol has kept me semi sane during these dark hours.  I do appreciate you looking out though.

As for the diminished skills clause, it’s a perfect example of Reinsdorf taking advantage of a star player.  I can’t think of another example like that, but clearly that clause was kind of shitty for Frank.

• Like 1