Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I got my MiLB.tv subscription again for $25 and I'll be buying my Indy Indians tickets to watch Eloy and hopefully Cease in the 2nd week of April, so at least I have that to look forward to.

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I got my MiLB.tv subscription again for $25 and I'll be buying my Indy Indians tickets to watch Eloy and hopefully Cease in the 2nd week of April, so at least I have that to look forward to.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for future generations if we preserved the love of the game in young kids and their families through higher attendance at minor league games...at a certain point, the MLB won't be affordable to anyone but the Top 20%. 

7 hours ago, Special K said:

I have absolutely no faith guys will live up to expectations. Aside from bombing miserably in the FA market, this FO has an unusual knack for drafting terribly and being unable to develop players. 

Even the Sale trade - one of the most valuable assets in all of baseball over the last 10 years given talent and contract - is looking like a bomb. Kopech did get hurt, but Moncada hasn’t shown me anything. There’s a reason Boston let him go. Most FOs outfox our FO. 

If that’s the case, then Machado isn’t saving this team anyway. He becomes a trade chip with a huge salary. 

49 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

saw this comment on SSS

perfectly said:

What is the greater monument to Sox failure?

Padres rebuild being powered by Manny Machado and Fernando Tatis Jr

or

A year of watching Yonder Alonso and Jon Jay hanging out on the White Sox

I just try to picture what kind of stupidity has to run through Hahn&Co's minds when they  decided to let Manny walk to the small market Padres only a couple years after burning you on one of the worst trades in recent history. Simply disgraceful.

If you google Hahn, his profile sums him up perfectly, “Since his promotion before the 2013 season, his teams have a 419–553 record and no postseason appearances.”

more than 100 games below .500 and never even sniffing a playoff appearance and were not close to competing. We won’t be competing next year either.

the only fact missing from his profile is “Embarrassingly traded for and signed Machado’s brother in law and friend in an attempt to pay him $50 million less than his market value and ironically spent that same amount of money in that offseason on sub-par players.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

saw this comment on SSS

perfectly said:

What is the greater monument to Sox failure?

Padres rebuild being powered by Manny Machado and Fernando Tatis Jr

or

A year of watching Yonder Alonso and Jon Jay hanging out on the White Sox

How are Cubs fans feeling when Cease and Eloy are cornerstones for the Sox? These things happen. So the second one. 

1 minute ago, G&T said:

How are Cubs fans feeling when Cease and Eloy are cornerstones for the Sox? These things happen. So the second one. 

Their feeling like they have a recent title, Q helped them get to the playoffs twice, and if they want another great player, they'll get one in a year or two. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

“Potential” cornerstones.  And I would guess ultimately fine, when they watch their team win another 85-95 games and make the playoffs.  We get to watch another losing season without the proven franchise player added to our roster that should have been a lock with the money Hahn had available this year and going forward.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Their feeling like they have a recent title, Q helped them get to the playoffs twice, and if they want another great player, they'll get one in a year or two. 

I’m not sure Q is the reason for anything they’ve done. 

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

“Potential” cornerstones.  And I would guess ultimately fine, when they watch their team win another 85-95 games and make the playoffs.  We get to watch another losing season without the proven franchise player added to our roster that should have been a lock with the money Hahn had available this year and going forward.

Tatis is a “potential” cornerstone too. 

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

I’m not sure Q is the reason for anything they’ve done. 

Tatis is a “potential” cornerstone too. 

Q sure isn’t but they are still competing regardless of that trade so it hasn’t impacted them all that much.

Yes, Tatis is a “potential” cornerstone but Machado is a proven cornerstone and the Sox missed out on their target that they had been planning for over a year to acquire.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I never wanted Machado on the Sox, especially on these terms. I think the Padres will soon regret this deal. The only thing that upset me about yesterday’s events, is that he didn’t sign with the Phillies and it appears the Sox are out on Harper, the player I truly wanted.

Sox never had a chance with Harper. 

11 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Q sure isn’t but they are still competing regardless of that trade so it hasn’t impacted them all that much.

Yes, Tatis is a “potential” cornerstone but Machado is a proven cornerstone and the Sox missed out on their target that they had been planning for over a year to acquire.

I think the Cub reaction is very different if they miss the playoffs this year. They could use those guys right now. 

Anyway, i can’t argue Machado. Even if that deal goes bad, that was the guy the Sox targeted and lost him for no good reason. 

24 minutes ago, G&T said:

I think the Cub reaction is very different if they miss the playoffs this year. They could use those guys right now. 

Anyway, i can’t argue Machado. Even if that deal goes bad, that was the guy the Sox targeted and lost him for no good reason. 

While the Cubs will miss those guys, they’ll be just fine. They’ve went to the playoffs 4 straight years and the NLCS 3 out of 4. The cubs will have money again. Free Agents want to play for the Cubs. Harper wanted to go there, cubs just wouldn’t spend. 

Sox on the other hand may not recover from this. Theyre the laughing stock of not only their own city but all of baseball. I seriously think they may not recover from this. The fans are done. It may lead to them moving which could be best. Get this team away from the Reinsdorfs. They find it more profitable to run garbage out their which is very perverse for sports in general that that is a good business method. Both teams Reinsdorf runs are just absolute trash and yet he turns a handsome profit. Time to boycott. I’m done with the bulls, but it may be time for the Sox too until they get new ownership. Seriously ask yourselves, if Bulls didn’t luck into Jordan, where is Reinsdorf as an owner for these two teams. Sox have been to the playoffs twice in 15 years (never back to back) and it will likely be another 3-4 years if all goes “well” with the rebuild, which believe me, it isn’t. We have Eloy as the only bright spot.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, G&T said:

After thinking about it overnight and listening to people rant and rave about this, I've come to the conclusion that this really had nothing to do with money. The White Sox really offered more money with easily attainable incentives.

It had everything to do with the agent wanted the "highest free agent deal ever" eventhough it's a technically because Stanton signed a 325 mil extension, and JR not wanting to be the owner who gave out the "highest free agent deal in history."

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

After thinking about it overnight and listening to people rant and rave about this, I've come to the conclusion that this really had nothing to do with money. The White Sox really offered more money with easily attainable incentives.

It had everything to do with the agent wanted the "highest free agent deal ever" eventhough it's a technically because Stanton signed a 325 mil extension, and JR not wanting to be the owner who gave out the "highest free agent deal in history."

Absolutely f***ing not.

Those incentives only were attainable if the guy is still an all star at age 35. One injury and they're  not.  You're a trainer. How healthy do ballplayers typically stay in year 15 and 16 of their careers? 

A smart, intelligent GM would probably maneuver their way out of them. If RH wasn't the GM any more, or if Machado was traded, all the GM has to do is platoon the guy for 1/4 of the season to avoid those triggers. 

We are almost certainly going to do exactly that with Yonder Alonso's deal this year. He has an option for 2020 that vests with, hey, whaddya know, 550 plate appearances. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The incentives were not easily attainable. He had to have 550 plate appearances in each of his last two seasons for each final $25 million year to kick in. The way the Sox play games, they would’ve sat him if they didn’t want to pay that money. No doubt. He took a guaranteed $50 million. Can’t blame the guy and I would advise my client the same. It’s $50 million dollars.

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

The incentives were not easily attainable. He had to have 550 plate appearances in each of his last two seasons for each final $25 million year to kick in. The way the Sox play games, they would’ve sat him if they didn’t want to pay that money. No doubt. He took a guaranteed $50 million. Can’t blame the guy and I would advise my client the same. It’s $50 million dollars.

Also Manny has no idea who the owner will be come years 9 and 10?  What if it’s someone desperate to keep payroll low and does everything he can to make sure those benchmarks aren’t met.  He chose the better deal, and it’s not even close. If the Phillies were willing to do opt-outs, I’m not so sure the Sox offer was even 2nd best.

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

And on top of that, he has the much more player friendly 5 year opt out. If the organization is going to insist on no opt outs as a rule, then they are offering the player a less friendly deal, so the guaranteed money needs to be higher. A 10/$300 deal with a 5 year opt out is a better deal than 10/$300 guaranteed. If you're going no opt outs you have to offer an even higher guarantee. 10/$340 with no opt outs and you have a solid chance at the best deal.

Bruce Levine with just an absolutely hilarious take on defending the Sox offer and ripping on Machado’s decision on The Score.  He is getting shredded by Mully and Haugh.  Will be worth a podcast listen later for a good laugh.

Edited by Harper2Sox

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And on top of that, he has the much more player friendly 5 year opt out. If the organization is going to insist on no opt outs as a rule, then they are offering the player a less friendly deal, so the guaranteed money needs to be higher. A 10/$300 deal with a 5 year opt out is a better deal than 10/$300 guaranteed. If you're going no opt outs you have to offer an even higher guarantee. 10/$340 with no opt outs and you have a solid chance at the best deal.

Yes, I mean, as laypersons, we have easily flagged all the reasons this deal was subpar.  For the Sox to come out and claim their deal was superior, it's just straight lying to our faces.  But i guess they're trying to fool the masses, which, unfortunately is probably what they accomplished with all their mouthpieces in the media.  

• Like 1