Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

If the MM market was as anticipated at the start of the off season the Sox would have never have been in the discussions. They wouldnt have "been at the table". They only were because the market fell back to them. Still couldn't seal the deal. Their max was 250 and they were confident? LOL

1 minute ago, shipps said:

If the MM market was as anticipated at the start of the off season the Sox would have never have been in the discussions. They wouldnt have "been at the table". They only were because the market fell back to them. Still couldn't seal the deal. Their max was 250 and they were confident? LOL

Yep. This off-season was literally idiot proofed. But White Sox gonna White Sox.

31 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is wrong on so many levels. First, that would be an obvious grievance and would have the Sox pay a lot more money, Second isn't the complaint around here that JR is too loyal to a fault? He would not do that to an employee, he treats his employees very well. 

Again, I don't blame Machado for taking the guaranteed money, I would too. But this was all about who can claim the highest FA deal ever and who didn't want to known as the owner who did it.

It happens all the time. And the white Sox are obviously not above suppressing their players salaries. 

I cannot believe that the front office is trying to spin this thing like their offer was actually better than the one that Machado took with San Diego.  Just Stop.  Fans are pissed and feel duped.  If they think that their organizational philosophy of not offering opts outs is going to work than they are just a ship of fools.

10/$300 million was what eveyone was thinking for Machado since last April. Even more for Harper. So, if that is too much to give one player in order to create a total winning team, like KW said, the White Sox haven't changed colors. They are just out looking for bargains. Like the woman in the article above mentioned, rebuilding requires something from the other side, like spending on a superstar. Nailing that conversion. The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs were all not spending. What do you think it would go to if they were?  This was their shot, and the failed with Machado. Not to go balls out for Harper would show just how out of touch with reality they are. Mediocre, run down free agents from the bargain bin will be what they can convert on. This regime is tired and needs to change.

• Like 1

They literally had the answer to the test question all along (10/300), yet they kept trying to convince the teacher the answer wasn’t correct.  I just don’t get it. Yesterday I was stunned, today I’m just pissed and can’t believe members of the media are sticking up for them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

They literally had the answer to the test question all along (10/300), yet they kept trying to convince the teacher the answer wasn’t correct.  I just don’t get it. Yesterday I was stunned, today I’m just pissed and can’t believe members of the media are sticking up for them.

This is the least surprising part of it all. That access is too important to burn.

The part that I can't get over is once the Padres entered the fray the Sox HAD to realize there were only two outcomes:

1) PR nightmare with an infuriated fanbase that now won't be satiated with anything short of Harper, which becomes significantly harder with Machado gone. 

2) Goodwill with a fanbase that will finally feel vindicated for buying into a rebuild that saw a Hall of Fame pitcher get traded away for a strikeout machine an injured flamethrower (I still like Moncada and Kopech, but now everything is the negative lens)

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sox are not relevant enough to be dragged by the national media. Even on ESPN's roundtable on Machado, they asked everyone the biggest loser of Manny signing with the Padres. Not one person said the Sox.

Just now, Orlando said:

No lol but if everything goes wrong for them and the Sox pull a miracle.

That was the Whitesox strategy for the central with KWs tenure as GM.  Rearrange the deck chairs, hope for regression from the division, and a healthy surprise. Profit.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

The part that I can't get over is once the Padres entered the fray the Sox HAD to realize there were only two outcomes:

1) PR nightmare with an infuriated fanbase that now won't be satiated with anything short of Harper, which becomes significantly harder with Machado gone. 

2) Goodwill with a fanbase that will finally feel vindicated for buying into a rebuild that saw a Hall of Fame pitcher get traded away for a strikeout machine an injured flamethrower (I still like Moncada and Kopech, but now everything is the negative lens)

They never saw it coming.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

That is the thing I don't understand. If, like many like to say, they have been planning this since trading Sale, WTF kind of plan was this? The big boys were sitting out and they still failed. And the price was given to them months in advance.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mqr said:

It happens all the time. And the white Sox are obviously not above suppressing their players salaries. 

I would disagree that it happens to star players who the union would fight for. I dont think you could come up with an example where the Sox have suppressed one of their players salaries.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

That is the thing I don't understand. If, like many like to say, they have been planning this since trading Sale, WTF kind of plan was this? The big boys were sitting out and they still failed. And the price was given to them months in advance.

No doubt . They tried to  get creative so that JR wouldnt have to pay the highest contract ever. It was working too until SD came in.

They screwed to up big time all because of JRs ego.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is why I keep going back to JRs ego. They knew what the agent wanted but were still trying to get the player without meeting the agents demands. It was a losing plan from the beginning.  However they convinced themselves it was going to work because no other team was really in it until SD came along. They over played their hand because of JRs restrcitions.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would disagree that it happens to star players who the union would fight for. I dont think you could come up with an example where the Sox have suppressed one of their players salaries.

.........................They’re doing it literally right this second

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Just like the organization, you completely fail to understand how wrong you are. In every single way. 

I disagree. I think you are underestimating JRs ego and how much he did not want to set the bar for the highest free agent contract ever.