Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

That's true. They structured a $250M deal to look like a $320M deal for optics. No one expected the top end to be reached. Here's something, why not just front load $10M extra a year in 2019 and 2020 and save it on years 9 and 10? There's no payroll obligations right now, and no one knows which, if any, of the prospects will deserve huge salaries in the future.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

They believe they checked the boxes.

1) Total value over $300mil (CHECK)

2) 10 year deal (CHECK)

The problem was that the Sox wanted a way to keep those numbers lower (just in case). 

Listen these are businessmen and brilliant negotiators, us ignorant fans cannot understand their wisdom.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Listen these are businessmen and brilliant negotiators, us ignorant fans cannot understand their wisdom.

And don't worry, teams budget for 300 million dollar deals for a long time and won't just decide at the last second to throw their hat in the race

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

That's true. They structured a $250M deal to look like a $320M deal for optics. No one expected the top end to be reached. Here's something, why not just front load $10M extra a year in 2019 and 2020 and save it on years 9 and 10? There's no payroll obligations right now, and no one knows which, if any, of the prospects will deserve huge salaries in the future.

Because they dont know what they are doing.

The difference between the Padre deal and the Sox deal isnt so great that you dont match as the Sox. I personally think Machado picks the Sox over Padres if the offers are the same. 

Its just a huge loss for them, and Im not sure that they even understand how bad it is. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Indeed, we common folk. Not to mention, this is all such BS, you're telling me they didn't get a last look at 10yr / $300? F..k off, they passed, plain and simple

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The difference between the Padre deal and the Sox deal isnt so great that you dont match as the Sox. I personally think Machado picks the Sox over Padres if the offers are the same. 

Its just a huge loss for them, and Im not sure that they even understand how bad it is. 

There's no doubt in my mind about this.  One of the reasons this is just so fuckin frustrating.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, one thing we don't know is if the Padres would have gone even higher than 10/300 if the Sox were willing to hit 300?

Could be but the fact that they really weren't seemingly in it until the end makes me think they stretched their budget far as possible and see if it would work. It did.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, one thing we don't know is if the Padres would have gone even higher than 10/300 if the Sox were willing to hit 300?

True, they seemed intent to get the player rather than obsess over the general baseball market and precedent.

Weird.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think we actually do know that because Lozano came down to $300 on Monday from their previous asks. Whatever level that was - the Padres weren't willing to meet it, and no other team was. Sometime last week Lozano offered $325 or something in that range, the Padres responded with $280, Lozano called around to see if anyone would beat $280. Then on Monday he called around and offered $300.

So, today I have the priveledge if being at IIT surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the City of Chicago.  The sad thing is, just a stones throw away is some of the DUMBEST executives in Major League Baseball.  

Wont lie, this stupidity hurts and gets worse by the day as the WS FO continue to speak to the public!

7 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Yeah that's the only way to put it. They didn't lose him for $50M, but 2 years and $50M. You can structure how that money is disbursed to alleviate a future salary crunch, and take advantage of having no immediate obligations. No explanation they've given absolves them of failing to get Machado. They viewed him as a $30M+ player every year for 8 years...but adding 2 years at a reduced salary was a "no go"?

It hasn't helped that KW reacted the way he did. There's no objective explanation for where the Sox offer came from, or why limits were placed on the contract other than hope that some prospects might deserve new contracts in six years.

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Could be but the fact that they really weren't seemingly in it until the end makes me think they stretched their budget far as possible and see if it would work. It did.

Also makes you think they convinced themselves to go for it, so if 300 was matched, do they go back up to 320?  No one will ever really know.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

It's amazing to me how Reinsdorf was willing to alienate the entire fanbase and destroy their trust for 50 million bucks. I guess he doesn't give a shit about us as long as he's making his money.

Deep down, I do not believe they understand what they did to the fanbase this offseason. I do not believe they will have any idea until they see next year's season ticket renewals.

• Like 1