Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly what people were excited by two years ago.

Serious question, what would you think was better, playing out 2017 without selling Sale or Eaton but with no major acquisitions (their payroll was at $120 million and Fulmer was their best trade asset), then having Quintana fall apart Eaton get hurt, Frazier and Cabrera hit FA with no replacements after 2017 and no money to spend, and gradually falling into the 60s in the win column by 2018...

Or this?

i don’t know. In that scenario we are looking at a 68 win team with Sale a year from FA and maybe a bum shoulder,.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Serious question, what would you think was better, playing out 2017 without selling Sale or Eaton but with no major acquisitions (their payroll was at $120 million and Fulmer was their best trade asset), then having Quintana fall apart Eaton get hurt, Frazier and Cabrera hit FA with no replacements after 2017 and no money to spend, and gradually falling into the 60s in the win column by 2018...

Or this?

i don’t know. In that scenario we are looking at a 68 win team with Sale a year from FA and maybe a bum shoulder,.

My biggest fear is that we were going to enter a neverending cycle of rebuilding.  So far I have seen  nothing to show me that this isn't going to happen.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Or this?

Yeah , there's still at least an outside chance this all works out okay. 

Well at least we still have funny man Yolmer Sanchez here and the players love playing for Ricky Renteria. Guys this is the lowest I’ve been as a fan that I can remember. The fact that they won’t even bother with Bryce is an embarrassment. Jerry needs to sell the team because this is horseshit and they think that fans will still just show up because they still have prospects, granted I’m excited to see Eloy and the young guys but how can I support a team who doesn’t show the appreciation for the fans. It’s just hard to accept that the Padres who have a better farm system, have 2 guys making over $20 mil, and play in a small market were willing to go above and beyond to build a competitive team. I hope Jerry, Kenny, and Rick get no sleep and this moment haunts them for the rest of their time here. I can’t do it guys 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

My biggest fear is that we were going to enter a neverending cycle of rebuilding.  So far I have seen  nothing to show me that this isn't going to happen.

That doesn’t answer the question. If we didn’t sell those players, do you see a way around and endless rebuilding? I don’t. If you do, tell us?

In my eyes, holding onto those players leaves us literally right here, in endless rebuilding by 2019 and a 90+ loss team, except without Eloy or Cease.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We were already in a neverending cycle of mediocre records and missing the playoffs.  If you don’t make the playoffs, who really cares?  Is anyone really happy with an 80-82 or 82-80 record?

It was the right plan to rebuild but now we have confirmed that the wrong people are in charge of trying to implement the plan.

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

The meatball takes on Twitter make me laugh. A monkey could've turned the farm system from the bottom to the top in one year with Sale/Q/Eaton to jumpstart the rebuild, and if they're not going to spend now, when will they ever? Machado would not have "handcuffed" them at all.

dont handcuff them now is what we all thought last year. everyone nows from past history a contract like that can be detrimental to the Sox. HOWEVER, the reason so many are mad is that the Sox stated since October we were in on the big boys. Much to our surprise we were hoping for the franchise to finally commit to something like this. All offseason we were led to believe we were in, only for us to get outbid and to find out how we cut corners on 50 million.

i dont think people would be that mad if they didnt say anything all offseason

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That doesn’t answer the question. If we didn’t sell those players, do you see a way around and endless rebuilding? I don’t. If you do, tell us?

In my eyes, holding onto those players leaves us literally right here, in endless rebuilding by 2019 and a 90+ loss team, except without Eloy or Cease.

I have always said the if you truly believe that this management team is the worst in baseball at developing young talent, the dumbest possible thing would be to stake the future of the franchise on it, especially when we know the Sox will have more spending limitations than others.

So far, this has been proven out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

"enter"?

when were they actually competing for the division?

they've been irrelevant for years and years now. that roster wasn't going to be relevant.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have always said the if you truly believe that this management team is the worst in baseball at developing young talent, the dumbest possible thing would be to stake the future of the franchise on it, especially when we know the Sox will have more spending limitations than others.

in both scenarios we still have the same inept management and ownership though

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That still doesn’t answer the question? 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So what is your proposed solution?

Allow the current front office to continue to attempt to build a yearly fluke winner by signing cheap veteran retreads and miss out on the playoffs for another ten years straight?

Fire everyone in the front office and start from scratch?

What would you specifically recommend?

Edited by Harper2Sox

Not making excuses but did anyone consider the possibility that a ten-year deal is not an acceptable risk for some teams? I suppose it is a given that the winner usually overpays on these deals even for a younger player.

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

So what is your proposed solution?

Allow the current front office to continue to attempt to build a yearly fluke winner by signing cheap veteran retreads and miss out on the playoffs for another ten years straight?

Fire everyone in the front office and start from scratch?

What would you recommend?

Obviously stop doing the things you do best, start doing the things you do worst, but only half way, and then come in second for top free agents.  This is a great formula.