Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

JR may have been. Think of it like old cartoons, Angel on one shoulder, devil on the other. You got KW saying "spend". Youve got Hahn saying "lets offer a sneaky contract that limits our liability 9 years from now."

Yeah I think it's plausible. KW is much more competitive and in isolated events like this looks at "winning" correctly - you give up what it takes to get your target.

5 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

If it wasn't for Eloy, I think I wouldn't watch for the year and just follow the box scores. 

Eloy isn't enough for me. This organization gives no fucks to be honest and is satisfied with 84 wins a year. Therefore, I give no fucks either until they meet expectations. Maybe that'll be 2022. so box scores it it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

My no sauces take is that KW was being aggressive and telling them to offer more money. Hahn was trying to show everyone he is a wunderkind negotiator.

Hahn claims he told JR their chances were less than 50/50, so I doubt he didn't want to give more money. I really think JR just wouldn't pull the trigger on $300M. Logic need not apply.

10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Eloy isn't enough for me. This organization gives no fucks to be honest and is satisfied with 84 wins a year. Therefore, I give no fucks either until they meet expectations. Maybe that'll be 2022. so box scores it it. 

74 not 84. 

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

My no sauces take is that KW was being aggressive and telling them to offer more money. Hahn was trying to show everyone he is a wunderkind negotiator.

My no sauces view is that they were all in agreement. Go look at their reactions yesterday, they thought they had the best contract offer, they thought they were doing Machado a favor with a $250 million guarantee and those options. They thought there were no other teams close even when they were told other teams were close and even when they offered to sign for a $300 million guarantee. Kenny Williams was angry that they turned him down because he genuinely thought that offer was better than $300 million, Rick Hahn was stunned. They just don't understand baseball very well, which is pretty bad for a baseball team. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

My no sauces view is that they were all in agreement. Go look at their reactions yesterday, they thought they had the best contract offer, they thought they were doing Machado a favor with a $250 million guarantee and those options. They thought there were no other teams close even when they were told other teams were close and even when they offered to sign for a $300 million guarantee. Kenny Williams was angry that they turned him down because he genuinely thought that offer was better than $300 million, Rick Hahn was stunned. They just don't understand baseball very well, which is pretty bad for a baseball team. 

So do we know for sure that there was actually a $250M guaranteed offer from the Sox? Is it possible that the Sox front office simply leaked this, and that their actual offer was the lowball 7/175 offer leaked last month?

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

The next part will be to watch how they handle the development of our current prospects. Wait till Ricky benches Eloy for some stupid reason such as he didn't sprint out a pop-up or decides to teach him the need to bunt.  

If I see Eloy bunt one single time...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Black_Jack29 said:

So do we know for sure that there was actually a $250M guaranteed offer from the Sox? Is it possible that the Sox front office simply leaked this, and that their actual offer was the lowball 7/175 offer leaked last month?

It has come out from places other than the White Sox, it seems believable.  Frankly, from KW's reaction yesterday I was surprised that their offer was that bad.

I would 100% bet that the 7/$175 offer was real, maybe with some options at the end, and at the time Machado's side was asking for 10/$350 or something like that. So, the White Sox thought they were doing him a huge huge favor with an offer at $250.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It has come out from places other than the White Sox, it seems believable. 

I would 100% bet that the 7/$175 offer was real, maybe with some options at the end, and at the time Machado's side was asking for 10/$350 or something like that. So, the White Sox thought they were doing him a huge huge favor with an offer at $250.

I don't know how contract negotiations work in MLB, but if there isn't an official document (like when you're putting an offer down on a house), there's ample room for misinformation.

As I said earlier, I just don't believe that a notoriously cheap owner like JR would approve spending $250M on a contract when his highest contract up to that point was $68M. My theory is that the lowball $175M offer was real and the $250M offer was a PR stunt orchestrated to try to convince us that the Sox really, really tried to sign Machado. I don't believe that JR ever intended to pay him $200M+.

Edited by Black_Jack29

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If KW thought that was a better offer, he ain’t too bright.

I'm sorry if this quote has already been posted but seriously everything these guys have said the last few days is infuriating.  “It does come down sometimes to more than just throw more money on top of it in terms of a guarantee, which is probably the only area someone could argue ‘Hey you should have been more aggressive’ in this situation.” - Rick Hahn

EDIT to include the link to the article from Fegan: https://theathletic.com/827819/2019/02/20/strictly-business-will-failing-to-land-manny-machado-change-anything-for-the-white-sox/

Edited by Rowand44

Just now, Special K said:

If KW thought that was a better offer, he ain’t too bright.

I 100% believe they thought they had the best offer. KW's reaction was an emotional "How could you not accept our great offer!" one, within the hour of it being announced. His immediate, no time to think through the reaction response was "Our offer could have been worth more than that it was a better offer". 

I 100% believe they thought they had the best offer. KW's reaction was an emotional "How could you not accept our great offer!" one, within the hour of it being announced. His immediate, no time to think through the reaction response was "Our offer could have been worth more than that it was a better offer". 

So the question that somebody needs to ask them is this...

"If you thought your offer was better, then why not just give him the "worse" offer, if it means locking him up?"

• Thanks 1

The fact that they weren’t willing to guarantee the money should give you (and Manny and everyone) every indication they had no intention whatsoever paying that money on the backend. It was illusory. Just like manny playing on the south side. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I'm sorry if this quote has already been posted but seriously everything these guys have said the last few days is infuriating.  “It does come down sometimes to more than just throw more money on top of it in terms of a guarantee, which is probably the only area someone could argue ‘Hey you should have been more aggressive’ in this situation.” - Rick Hahn

He doesn't get to be Captain Shrewd Negotiator if all he has to do is throw money around. I mean, RickyGM clearly gets off on playing the lawyer bit running the team. And that wasn't what was needed to sign a franchise cornerstone.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

He doesn't get to be Captain Shrewd Negotiator if all he has to do is throw money around. I mean, RickyGM clearly gets off on playing the lawyer bit running the team. And that wasn't what was needed to sign a franchise cornerstone.

The quote is dead wrong. That’s literally the only thing it came down to - throwing more money in terms of a guarantee. If he doesn’t understand that, he’s in an idiot. If he does he’s a liar. Either way, he sucks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think they are both covering for Jerry.  Jerry thought he would get a JD Martinez deal.  For some reason he didn't realize if he gave JD Martinez %17 more money guaranteed he would have signed here.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

The problem with the quote was it was well known Machado was going where they were offering the most money. Maybe someday the White Sox will learn that, and get off their thought that the White Sox have secretly been the dream destination for every player they want to acquire.

• Like 1