Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Living out of state, I can't listen to Chicago sports blab radio (obviously) but has the media been handing the Sox their collective ass? Or, are they back to irrelevant status?

Sports Blab has been ripping them a new asshole, beat writers not so much. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Living out of state, I can't listen to Chicago sports blab radio (obviously) but has the media been handing the Sox their collective ass? Or, are they back to irrelevant status?

I think if I were a talk show host I'd take the angle of "were the Sox ever really that serious about signing Manny or Harper?" They provided some hints that they were, but proof is in the pudding and the way this thing ended was awfully anticlimactic.

reading this message board its about 95 % pissed off.  However a poll was conducted 59% thought San Diego overpaid, 51 % thoguht it was a wise addition of a superstar. and 36.65 percent thought the sox missed a unique opportunity.  32.02 thought it to be disappointing, and 31.33 think we dodged a bullet. So the National thought is better but listening to Passan, Bowden and a few others made me look for my paper bag last night

• Haha 1

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

reading this message board its about 95 % pissed off.  However a poll was conducted 59% thought San Diego overpaid, 51 % thoguht it was a wise addition of a superstar. and 36.65 percent thought the sox missed a unique opportunity.  32.02 thought it to be disappointing, and 31.33 think we dodged a bullet. So the National thought is better but listening to Passan, Bowden and a few others made me look for my paper bag last night

Idiots basing this off of his comments in playoffs and not running out the routine ground ball (who does?) for sure.

I'm glad they failed at getting that asshole. Yes, it's an organizational failure, but on the other hand, there's a better than 50/50 shot they would have regretted it in the future.

The Sox need to develop pitchers, have Eloy be a superstar, and have Moncada and Anderson take steps forward at the plate. That would help make the Sox an attractive place to play for premium free agents. Until they can get that going on their own, players don't want to come to the Sox...and to a larger extent, the AL Central.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

I'm glad they failed at getting that asshole. Yes, it's an organizational failure, but on the other hand, there's a better than 50/50 shot they would have regretted it in the future.

The Sox need to develop pitchers, have Eloy be a superstar, and have Moncada and Anderson take steps forward at the plate. That would help make the Sox an attractive place to play for premium free agents. Until they can get that going on their own, players don't want to come to the Sox...and to a larger extent, the AL Central.

Man are you serious? Machado would be the perfect piece to go with the core going forward seeing how young he is and how the cheap the rest of the team could potentially be. They had Machado by the balls and they let him get away.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

He went to the f***ing San Diego Padres. They're like 29th out of 30 teams in wins over the past 6 seasons. This isn't the NBA where teams are maneuvering around Larry Bird rights and hitting max contracts so they give up and join together. We literally tried making the setup for him attractive with all his friends around this year and lost to the bloody San Diego Padres because we didn't want to pay him fair market value. Players in MLB want to come where they are fairly paid. Full stop.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Players don't want to come here when they aren't given the best offer, I don't think playing in the AL Central would factor much into it.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It has come out from places other than the White Sox, it seems believable.  Frankly, from KW's reaction yesterday I was surprised that their offer was that bad.

I would 100% bet that the 7/$175 offer was real, maybe with some options at the end, and at the time Machado's side was asking for 10/$350 or something like that. So, the White Sox thought they were doing him a huge huge favor with an offer at $250.

I would bet that the 7/$175 report was the offer we had on the table for the majority of this debacle.

If we came right out with a 8/$250 and 2 options that could bring it to $320 I don't think it drags on for as long as it did, I think he would have signed after it was clear no one else was getting involved. I think no one else valued Machado in this upper range, just couldn't afford to add a huge contract, or didn't have the need for the player.

The Phillies wanted to spend "stupid" money and even they balked at $300 million for Machado.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

In an ideal world yes. Problem is this is a once-in-a-generation free agent class so you make exceptions. They blew it instead and the options for the next few years are nowhere near as attractive.

1 minute ago, almagest said:

In an ideal world yes. Problem is this is a once-in-a-generation free agent class so you make exceptions. They blew it instead and the options for the next few years are nowhere near as attractive.

On top of that...all the cards fell correctly. The Red Sox are still paying for Sandoval. The Yankees are still paying for Ellsbury. The luxury tax is hitting teams. The Dodgers have a 3b and a SS and don't want to shift people out of positions to this extent. The teams that could have blown this out of the water were out.

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

On top of that...all the cards fell correctly. The Red Sox are still paying for Sandoval. The Yankees are still paying for Ellsbury. The luxury tax is hitting teams. The Dodgers have a 3b and a SS and don't want to shift people out of positions to this extent. The teams that could have blown this out of the water were out.

This angle is poor - he got 10 years and 300 million with a 5 year opt out. There were no "big boys" that were blowing that offer out of the water.