Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

41 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Man are you serious? Machado would be the perfect piece to go with the core going forward seeing how young he is and how the cheap the rest of the team could potentially be. They had Machado by the balls and they let him get away.

No, Machado has a smart agent who told him to hold out for what he wanted (at least $300M guaranteed). And given that JR wasn't prepared to spend anywhere near that, we were never really prepared to snag him in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Out of curiosity, I posted a Twitter poll asking if people would go to less Sox games in 2019 than compared to previous years because they missed on Machado. Over 1,000 votes so far and 64% said no.

It appears as if the common fan doesn't share the opinions of many on this forum.

Wider net, a lot more casuals.  

22 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Out of curiosity, I posted a Twitter poll asking if people would go to less Sox games in 2019 than compared to previous years because they missed on Machado. Over 1,000 votes so far and 64% said no.

It appears as if the common fan doesn't share the opinions of many on this forum.

FWIW, anyone who went to 0 last year would go to the same number and would vote "no". 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I do wonder just how much Manny’s “personality” scared the Sox.  Could be why they didn’t want to do an opt-out, as they were nervous he wouldn’t try hard if he didn’t opt-out.  KW saying he was a “solid kid” isn’t a glowing endorsement.

WTF? They didn't want to do an opt out because they were nervous he wouldn't try hard in years 6, 7, and 8 and that's the logic? 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

WTF? They didn't want to do an opt out because they were nervous he wouldn't try hard in years 6, 7, and 8 and that's the logic? 

Assuming they’re not lying about opt-outs, there clearly was something about Manny that made them not want to do it.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

I do wonder just how much Manny’s “personality” scared the Sox.  Could be why they didn’t want to do an opt-out, as they were nervous he wouldn’t try hard if he didn’t opt-out.  KW saying he was a “solid kid” isn’t a glowing endorsement.

My HOPE is that the hard top for Manny is some sort of mixture of analytics dictating something and/or their own worries made them decide on a top and held them to it. But I also don't really believe it.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

My HOPE is that the hard top for Manny is some sort of mixture of analytics dictating something and/or their own worries made them decide on a top and held them to it. But I also don't really believe it.

"We ran this player through every system we have and decided on a hard cap for his valuation based on all the information we could gather" would be a much more interesting and effective statement than the stuff they've been shoveling even if it was a lie. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And let’s not forget some have questioned how his legs/knees will hold up

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

And let’s not forget some have questioned how his legs/knees will hold up

Why sign his friend and trade for his brother if you knew you had hard limits that made you vulnerable to being out bid by a reasonable deal?

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why sign his friend and trade for his brother if you knew you had hard limits that made you vulnerable to being out bid by a reasonable deal?

To appear that you are going after big time free agents to look good to your fans but truly only want to sign them at your own comfort level, including not going 10 years or including an opt-out.

In any case, they got burned and I hope they realize the true fan reaction and respond by throwing a big offer at Harper.

Edited by Harper2Sox

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Because they misjudged the market and thought getting those guys would make Manny more willing to accept lower deal than expected

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Because they misjudged the market and thought getting those guys would make Manny more willing to accept lower deal than expected

Agreed.  I just wonder if the Sox had met in the middle and offered $275 million guaranteed earlier in the process if Machado would be a Sox or if he was always intent on getting $300 million.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

To make Chicago attractive enough to sign for less? It's not really rocket science. If the choices are San Diego or the South Side of Chicago for the same price, well the choice is obvious. 

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

To make Chicago attractive enough to sign for less? It's not really rocket science. If the choices are San Diego or the South Side of Chicago for the same price, well the choice is obvious. 

But the likelihood of it being the same price was low. So that’s a really bad calculation.