Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

15 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

You tell me. You said his choice was San Diego or the SS of Chicago. He wouldn't care during the game except in April. And he would live in a great part of Chicago, and not the south side. 

He has to play in Chicago though. There's a pretty consistent trend that nobody wants to play in Chicago. 

1 minute ago, ItsCalledComiskey said:

I kind of want to feel bad for Yonder and Jay, but then I think back to the fact that they more than likely didn't try too hard to recruit Manny. They all know this is a business and they played the Sox.

I’m sure Yonder did a great job recruiting. John Calipari couldn’t get someone to change their mind for a guaranteed 50 million.

Just now, ItsCalledComiskey said:

If you are going to be on a losing team, would you rather be on a losing team with San Diego weather or Chicago weather?

I'll take SD basically every day of the week.

If you're going to play in an empty stadium, would you rather have it be Petco or whatever they're calling Comiskey these days? 

I'm agreeing with you btw. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ItsCalledComiskey said:

I kind of want to feel bad for Yonder and Jay, but then I think back to the fact that they more than likely didn't try too hard to recruit Manny. They all know this is a business and they played the Sox.

Jay was destined to receive a minor league deal with camp invite before we threw cash at him.  Another reason to not feel too emo about the guy.

Jon Lester and Jason Heyward were big name free agents.  One has been great and the other has been a huge bust but both are bigger name free agents than anyone the Sox have landed recently.  The Bears just traded for and signed Mack to a massive deal.  I am not a big Hawks follower so I won’t comment on them.  Your comments about Chicago seem to be out of touch with reality.  This does seem like more of a Sox and Bulls issue, a.k.a. ownership issue.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Cubs - Lester, Heyward, Darvish, Soriano

Bears- Peppers, Mack, Allen Robinson

These are just a few big names. What players of this caliber have the Bulls and Sox signed recently? 

None.  Crappy Chicago weather only scares away basketball and baseball players!  😂

The fact is, other than an injury which could happen to anyone, there was no downside to signing Machado.  First and foremost, it legitimizes the White Sox as somewhat relevant.  More ticket sales, more jersey sales, more TV/ad sales.  In short more revenue.   It also creates more positive “vibes” in town and nationwide( which there is almost none) More optimism among fans and casual observers you are trying to reach.  These things create revenue to more than account for the $50 mill they wouldn’t shell out.  Penny wise and dollar stupid.  

41 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Jay was destined to receive a minor league deal with camp invite before we threw cash at him.  Another reason to not feel too emo about the guy.

I kinda feel for all the players in general. Yes they should be, y’know, better at baseball, but the fans are going to take the Machado frustrations out on them and they don’t really deserve that. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I kinda feel for all the players in general. Yes they should be, y’know, better at baseball, but the fans are going to take the Machado frustrations out on them and they don’t really deserve that. 

Pay me $4 million bones and you can yell at me about whatever the hell you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1