Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

After a few days of reflecting, I am not as angry as most of you are. I'm not going to cancel my MLB.TV subscription, I am not going to stop trying to go to games, I am not going to stop wearing Sox gear, I am not going to stop following this team. I have loved this game and team too much to throw it away because we missed out on the biggest free agent we have had a chance to get.

Yes I am still angry and defeated that we couldn't take that next step but I am still looking forward to the season and seeing the progression of our young players. The front office needs to change their mindset and I think it is slowly happening just not fast enough for the fan base, we are tired of losing and we want to see the light at the end of the tunnel and without Machado or Harper that light is farther away.

I'll still wear my Sox gear and continue following and continue being the fan I've been since I was a kid. But I'm spending as least as possible on them this year. I'm not going to my usual 10-15 games a year. Why should I spend my hard earned money on them if they aren't willing to spend it on premiere talent? It just means more time and money I can use towards other interests. That's fine too.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

After a few days of reflecting, I am angrier than I was.

The most likely scenario in all of this is that it is a 5 year contract after the opt out.  So we lost Manny over refusing to guarantee the final two years that will most likely never become an issue.

Even more infuriating is that if the Sox had matched, they would have paid less over those five years than they were proposing to pay under their final offer.

I am just getting myself angrier biting into this layered shit cake.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

After a few days of reflecting, I am angrier than I was.

The most likely scenario in all of this is that it is a 5 year contract after the opt out.  So we lost Manny over refusing to guarantee the final two years that will most likely never become an issue.

Even more infuriating is that if the Sox had matched, they would have paid less over those five years than they were proposing to pay under their final offer.

I am just getting myself angrier biting into this layered shit cake.

It really makes no sense. It's not like they got extremely outbid or as I said a few days ago, lost out to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, or a team in the middle of their contention window where he may have preferred.

Didn't even prefer the West coast.

I just don't get how they can be so incompetent.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

It really makes no sense. It's not like they got extremely outbid or as I said a few days ago, lost out to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, or a team in the middle of their contention window where he may have preferred.

Didn't even prefer the West coast.

I just don't get how they can be so incompetent.

Supposedly in his visits Machado said he liked playing for the Dodgers, the problem was it was West Coast.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

FWIW (doesn't matter now), my friend's cousin, who I've mentioned a couple times here who works for the Sox, said 2 weeks ago that Machado would have worn 13 for the Sox. So that number is not completely off limits. Not that it really matters I suppose.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Tickets surging for the Padres while Sox fans on twitter are posting how reps are denying cancellations lol.

It's pretty obvious cancelling wouldn't be an option. But, at the very least, if there is a high volume, it will send a message.

I feel bad for the ticket reps. They have to put up with all the crap and I'm sure they get paid a wage many would think is unlivable. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's pretty obvious cancelling wouldn't be an option. But, at the very least, if there is a high volume, it will send a message.

I feel bad for the ticket reps. They have to put up with all the crap and I'm sure they get paid a wage many would think is unlivable. 

Very true, it's brutal, if anyone calls please be courteous.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Am I wrong to think that since the Sox were never going to give a player opt out and Manny was most likely insisting on one that there was never a legitimate offer on the table from Manny's perspective?

Nope

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is the reason we get screwed over as fans. We cannot let this clowns off the hook for the 1000th time. IRL, if a company was taking our money and dicking off with it, we'd discontinue using that company until they got their shit together. 

Yet, here  you all are.

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

Very true, it's brutal, if anyone calls please be courteous.

For real. It's not the reps fault. They're just doing their job. I wrote a letter to my rep basically saying I can't continue to support the org after this and let her know that this will be my last year as a STH unless things change. I wasn't going to ask to cancel because they already took my money and knew it would be an uphill battle for them to refund. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Still letting the team and anger live in  his head rent free. 

SS2k5, while you probably have the healthiest attitude about sports fandom here, some of us(myself included) are just waaaaay too emotionally invested. I've tried multiple times to adopt your attitude about sports, I just can't pull it off. How do you do it? I have a hard time missing a game, be it any sport I follow. I'm ok missing about 30-40 games a year when it comes to baseball, but other than that it is really tough for me. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

SS2k5, while you probably have the healthiest attitude about sports fandom here, some of us(myself included) are just waaaaay too emotionally invested. I've tried multiple times to adopt your attitude about sports, I just can't pull it off. How do you do it? I have a hard time missing a game, be it any sport I follow. I'm ok missing about 30-40 games a year when it comes to baseball, but other than that it is really tough for me. 

Family did it for me. Wife, kids, work, hobbies, etc.  It finally dawned on me that it was supposed to be something to enjoy, and if it wasn't, I wasn't doing it right.

When I think about the White Sox and baseball in my life, don't get me wrong, winning the World Series was great.  But for my two cents, those days of randomly driving up to Comiskey Park in the 70's and 80's with my dad and brother to grab cheap seats and take it in a ball game wasn't about seeing the team win.  It was about enjoying a game, and a few hours away from everything.  It was about being together and enjoying the time.  A large chunk of my favorite White Sox memories have absolutely nothing to do with who won or lost a game, or where we finished that season.

I think in the modern age where we have access to hyper-concentrated and specific groups of people based on the smallest of interests, as well as the taking WAY more personally things like fandom and just the groups in general we associate ourselves with has changed a lot of that.  The need to be entertained, and the need to feel the center of attention has taken over a lot of entertainment in general.  It isn't good enough anymore just to provide a few hours of getting away from life, people now need to feel entertained and like the focal point of a multi-media experience for 3 hours.  I was there for a long time.  I threw temper tantrums over relievers blowing games, and managers making dumb decisions.  I let games ruin my nights and days.  I won't even lie and say that it never happens anymore.  But I have done a lot to not let it define me.   None of who I am is defined by who Rick Hahn signs or doesn't sign.  I can't control that.  There is no good reason for it to own me.  I could spent countless hours pouting, or I could view this as a release from life.  If it isn't, I'll go play with my kids or work on something of interest to me.  I have thrown myself into other organizations and local politics.  When I see what others go through, missing out on Manny Machado doesn't seem as big of a deal to me.  I definitely don't see it as something worth letting the failures of decades ago affect me in a personal way.  Why should I be upset that the Sox missed the playoffs in 1960?  I have better things to do and take personally.

But at the end of the day, to each his (or her) own.  I am going to do what works for me.  If I see this bothering people so much, I see an obvious solution, and will offer it because it worked for me.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Family did it for me. Wife, kids, work, hobbies, etc.  It finally dawned on me that it was supposed to be something to enjoy, and if it wasn't, I wasn't doing it right.

When I think about the White Sox and baseball in my life, don't get me wrong, winning the World Series was great.  But for my two cents, those days of randomly driving up to Comiskey Park in the 70's and 80's with my dad and brother to grab cheap seats and take it in a ball game wasn't about seeing the team win.  It was about enjoying a game, and a few hours away from everything.  It was about being together and enjoying the time.  A large chunk of my favorite White Sox memories have absolutely nothing to do with who won or lost a game, or where we finished that season.

I think in the modern age where we have access to hyper-concentrated and specific groups of people based on the smallest of interests, as well as the taking WAY more personally things like fandom and just the groups in general we associate ourselves with has changed a lot of that.  The need to be entertained, and the need to feel the center of attention has taken over a lot of entertainment in general.  It isn't good enough anymore just to provide a few hours of getting away from life, people now need to feel entertained and like the focal point of a multi-media experience for 3 hours.  I was there for a long time.  I threw temper tantrums over relievers blowing games, and managers making dumb decisions.  I let games ruin my nights and days.  I won't even lie and say that it never happens anymore.  But I have done a lot to not let it define me.   None of who I am is defined by who Rick Hahn signs or doesn't sign.  I can't control that.  There is no good reason for it to own me.  I could spent countless hours pouting, or I could view this as a release from life.  If it isn't, I'll go play with my kids or work on something of interest to me.  I have thrown myself into other organizations and local politics.  When I see what others go through, missing out on Manny Machado doesn't seem as big of a deal to me.  I definitely don't see it as something worth letting the failures of decades ago affect me in a personal way.  Why should I be upset that the Sox missed the playoffs in 1960?  I have better things to do and take personally.

But at the end of the day, to each his (or her) own.  I am going to do what works for me.  If I see this bothering people so much, I see an obvious solution, and will offer it because it worked for me.

While I completely agree with your attitude about it, I can't pull it off myself. I don't have a family pulling me away from this stuff, I don't even have a gf or anything and because of my personal situation, I have a metric ton of time to kill. There are other hobbies I enjoy, but they're all weather dependent. If the conditions aren't just right, I can't do them. The one hobby I do enjoy that isn't weather dependent, I'm having trouble enjoying lately because I'd have to take time away from other hobbies in order to get what I want out of it. I've put it completely on the backburner until I can make the necessary sacrifices in other areas to enjoy it the way I want to. In the end, I keep coming back to sports because you don't control the schedule of games and when it's on, it's on. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

While I completely agree with your attitude about it, I can't pull it off myself. I don't have a family pulling me away from this stuff, I don't even have a gf or anything and because of my personal situation, I have a metric ton of time to kill. There are other hobbies I enjoy, but they're all weather dependent. If the conditions aren't just right, I can't do them. The one hobby I do enjoy that isn't weather dependent, I'm having trouble enjoying lately because I'd have to take time away from other hobbies in order to get what I want out of it. I've put it completely on the backburner until I can make the necessary sacrifices in other areas to enjoy it the way I want to. In the end, I keep coming back to sports because you don't control the schedule of games and when it's on, it's on. 

I have all of these things. I barely have any time for hobbies. I still care about the team but the White Sox royally pissed me off with this shit show and I'm here still following because of one last long shot on Harper.

18 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Would we have gotten Manny for 8/$250 with opt out after year 5?

Something tells me that we ended up losing out because Lozano wasn’t going settle less than $300M or we weren’t at $250M

Its interesting but I don't think so. The 300 mill really insures the player. Extra what, $6 million up front but missing out guaranteed 50 mill on back.

I bet 8 for 275 with 5 year opt out would have done it despite lower money.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Its interesting but I don't think so. The 300 mill really insures the player. Extra what, $6 million up front but missing out guaranteed 50 mill on back.

I bet 8 for 275 with 5 year opt out would have done it despite lower money.

Come to think of it, padres offer works a lot better short and long term or Manny. Sox offers comes up short on either

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is excellent advice. Nobody on this board can control how much money JR is willing to fork over on a free agent, what shenanigans the front office will pull, the qualify of the organization's scouting, or what in-game decisions Renteria will make. So why get super-upset about it, to the point when you're wasting time by whining about it over and over again and making yourself miserable in the process? If your significant other treated you the way that the Sox front office treats its fans, would you stay with him/her? I'm not saying that people need to kick the Sox to the curb, but "just being casual friends" isn't a bad option at this point. I don't think that I posted here once last season, because that craphole of a team wasn't worth my energy. I don't think that I even watched 10 games on TV. Time that I could've spent watching the Sox suck was spent with my wife and kids instead, and I was a lot happier because of it. If you don't have a significant other or kids, go adopt a dog, start going to the gym more, or learn to play a musical instrument or something. Focus on the things that make you happy. Nobody is forcing you to be a Sox fan and nobody wants you to be miserable.

• Like 1